House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bendy

Elites Find Out Slaves Are Allowed To Strike

and say not on your nelly.

Boris Johnson and CBI call for tougher laws on strikes

Boris Johnson's call coincides with a 24-hour strike on London Underground The Mayor of London and the CBI have called for changes to the law governing strikes to make it harder for workers to take industrial action.

Boris Johnson wants the government to introduce legislation preventing action unless at least 50% of union members in a workplace take part in a ballot.

Meanwhile, the employers' body wants a minimum of 40% of union members balloted to be in favour of a strike.

Continue reading the main story

Related stories

Final stand for final salary

Trade unions plan joint protests

The mayor's call coincides with a 24-hour strike on London Underground.

As the law stands, industrial action can take place even if only 1% of those polled respond - as long as there is a majority in favour.

The calls come as union leaders are urging mass action against the government's planned spending cuts.

'Business as usual'

Mr Johnson insists a law is needed to stop union leaders calling what he describes as capricious strikes on a minority turnout.

The CBI is concerned about what it sees as the re-emergence of unofficial wildcat strikes, sparked by use of social networking sites.

In a new report, Keeping The Wheels Turning: Modernising The Legal Framework of Industrial Relations, the CBI outlined further measures it says would modernise employment relations legislation.

These also include allowing firms to recruit agency staff to cover for striking workers - at present they can hire temporary staff but cannot go through an agency to do this.

CBI deputy director-general John Cridland said: "The CBI believes the law needs updating to reflect the fact that 85% of private sector employees are not members of a union, and that most employers now negotiate directly with staff or their representatives to bring about changes in the workplace.

"While workers have the legal right to withdraw their labour, employers have a responsibility to run their businesses.

"The public increasingly expects it to be business as usual, even during a strike, so firms must be allowed to hire temps directly from an agency to provide emergency cover for striking workers."

The CBI also called for the notice period for industrial action to increase from seven to 14 days after the ballot takes place to give businesses more time to prepare for strikes.

'Tough restrictions'

The TUC condemned Mr Johnson's idea, and warned it would be a betrayal of the government's claim to want better relations with the unions.

TUC general secretary Brendan Barber said: "The UK has some of the toughest legal restrictions on the right to strike in the advanced world. Already the courts regularly strike down democratic ballots that clearly show majority support for action."

This year the High Court prevented a strike by BA workers, ruling that the Unite union had failed to make enough effort to inform its members about 11 spoilt ballot papers that resulted from its poll of 12,000 members.

Mr Barber added that the decision to strike was not one taken lightly: "Strikes are always a last resort as union members lose their pay."

Ministers say there are no immediate plans for new strike laws.

However, they have kept open the option of fresh legislation to curb industrial action if there is a wave of public sector strikes this winter in protest at the cuts.

BBC chief political correspondent Norman Smith says that according to cabinet sources the idea of a 50% threshold is one that has been discussed and is an option.

But there is concern that such a move would be opposed by the Liberal Democrats and risks straining the coalition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11461588

looks as if there might finally be something expected coming up. :rolleyes:

Whilst we are at it, can we enforce a rule on General Election results, so parties need to gain 50% of the electorate votes to form a Government.

Next you'll be saying that there should be some resemblance between what a party says it will do to get elected, and what it does in government.

Not an example of BoJo at his best.

Out of curiosity what if you don't have a union, you just organise a strike amongst yourselves, unofficial-like? I assume you would have Plod around sharpish if you did that. :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity what if you don't have a union, you just organise a strike amongst yourselves, unofficial-like? I assume you would have Plod around sharpish if you did that. :rolleyes:

I'm not an expert, but...

I think the legal restraints on Unions won't apply to you so you can do what you like. Of course you also miss out on the protection, so you'll just be sacked instantly. The way round it is to have the BA-style 'mass-sickie'.

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

I'm not an expert, but...

I think the legal restraints on Unions won't apply to you so you can do what you like. Of course you also miss out on the protection, so you'll just be sacked instantly. The way round it is to have the BA-style 'mass-sickie'.

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

In most companies, if staff simply worked to rule... i.e. worked the hours they are paid wihtout the extra unpaid overtime most staff end up working, they would grind the company to a halt.

In most companies, if staff simply worked to rule... i.e. worked the hours they are paid wihtout the extra unpaid overtime most staff end up working, they would grind the company to a halt.

Osborne, Johnson & Cameron were all Oxfordian 'Bullingdon Brats' together!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-447223/Oxford-1992-Portrait-classless-Tory.html

Look how they are dismantling the UK for their Elite masters

Kicking the poor in the Goolies, terminating Union power etc etc

Meanwhile 2 Trillion pounds taxpayers money will be spent helping out their City Chums!

George Osborne The 36-year-old MP for Tatton is the eldest son and heir of baronet Sir Peter Osborne, the founder of the upmarket wallpaper merchants, Osborne & Little.

His real name is Osborne but he has used his grandfather's name George since the age of 13. He says: "Life was easier as a George."

At Oxford he edited the university magazine Isis. One issue was printed on hemp paper, made of the stems of cannabis plants.

After leaving university he worked for two years as a freelance journalist before landing a job at the Conservative Research Department. He was made Shadow Chancellor at the age of 33.

He lives in a £1million house in Notting Hill with his novelist wife Frances.

Edited by erranta

Public sector workers don't do unpaid overtime.

I wonder where all the right wind posters have gone. Now the right are in Power I suppose they feel unable to blame Labour for HPI.

Public sector workers don't do unpaid overtime.

This former public sector worker begs to differ, and I was far from the only one.

This former public sector worker begs to differ, and I was far from the only one.

Quite. It is clear that many people have an entirely inaccurate idea o.f working in the public sector.

It must come from reading the wrong newspapers.

I take it you didn't want to use the underground today to get to work ?

I say this of course because the vast majority of hard working londoners today will be inconvenienced by a small minority of politically affiliated untouchables led by head gangstar mr Bob Crow who are holding the capital of our great nation to ransom today.

Elite London Cattle Journeys expected to be impacted today 3.7 million....

Slave union members voting for the action... a couple of thousand.

Most of us in the private sector simply are not lawfully allowed to strike... so to find these elite unionised trades screwing the rest of us so they can earn 42K a year pressing stop..go on the traffic lights is not great

http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/102222/102225/103142/london_underground/

I shouldn't complain I got taken to work today in a Chauffer driven S class Mercedes! but its the rest of the elites I worry about... some of us are not so fortunate you know...

That's what employers are afraid of,wildcat strikes with nobody to negotiate with.Boris needs to swot up on industrial relations.

:lol: Elites also have all the guns if people start casting off the chains they will start making examples of people, there will be live executions and torture on the BBC. Which will make many people run and put their chains back on.

Tube drivers are obsolete anyway, a computer can drive a train pretty well. The HK airport train system and also the Disney line have no drivers

Out of curiosity what if you don't have a union, you just organise a strike amongst yourselves, unofficial-like?

The company are entitled to sack you.

tim

I should like to thank Bob Crow.

This morning whilst waiting at Liverpool St station for a bus, 07.07 until 08.15 I met some of the most decent, pleasant kind people in a long time. They were TFL staff, plastic policemen and the City of London police. The people in the queue were equally pleasant.

Despite the serious irritation of some queue bargers, quickly rectified in a pleasant manner by the above personnel, the overriding factor was that Bob Crow and his Union were morons and would not beat Londoners or commuters.

I saw for the first time in ages real humanity of all shapes, sizes, colours, ages trying to go about their daily lives.

So Crow stick your whinging up your rmt and I had great pleasure tearing down your illegal RMT Official Picket poster outside Green Park Tube tonight. I hope Crw you spend some of your £140k pa on your members tonight in the pub.

And thank you decent people for your chit chat, little kindnesses and pleasantries. Monday wasn't so bad after all.

I never have understood London and Londoners. Waiting around for a bus for so long would not be acceptable. How far was it to walk?

But here is some good news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/04/police-horses-out-to-grass

Apparently, mounted police may be 'cut'.

As every peasant knows, it is being seated on a horse which gives the elites their authority.

And those of us who remember the miners being ridden down will raise a cheer.

I never have understood London and Londoners. Waiting around for a bus for so long would not be acceptable. How far was it to walk?

But here is some good news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/04/police-horses-out-to-grass

Apparently, mounted police may be 'cut'.

As every peasant knows, it is being seated on a horse which gives the elites their authority.

And those of us who remember the miners being ridden down will raise a cheer.

Ridiculous comment.

Would you prefer to meet a mounted police force or one whose faces are hidden, dressed head to foot in kevlar, holding a riot shield and armed?

Ridiculous comment.

Would you prefer to meet a mounted police force or one whose faces are hidden, dressed head to foot in kevlar, holding a riot shield and armed?

We get a choice? They spoil us.

Ridiculous comment.

I have yet to see one of those kevlar types. Another benefit of living in the provinces. Why do you perpetuate the myth of metropolitan virtues? At our bus stop everyday is as conversational as you describe.

well you could always form a union. Can't be that hard!