House Price Crash Forum
lulu

Why Do You Think Letting Agents Are So Useless?

Has anyone else come across this phenomena of letting agents being so rubbish that it must actually be quite an effort to maintain such a continuingly low standard of customer care/service?

Mine are just unbelievable, everything from getting repairs done taking ages - and requiring me to constantly chase them about things to simply blatently lying to me and never responding to letters or phone calls. (this is not to make it sound like I am constantly badgering them about things - I am not) When I do talk to someone they start blatently making things up to cover their backs ( like the massive ranting letter I wrote about a hole in my ceiling, miraculously I got a call from them the day the letter was delivered saying they were coming to sort it but claimed never to have recieved the (recorded delivery) letter I had sent them.

Why do they do this? Surely all it causes is ever increasing amounts of agro for them is it not easier to pick up the phone/write a quick letter to confirm what may or may not be going on?

I feel like I am banging my head against a brickwall and need to vent some anger.... :angry:

Has anyone else come across this phenomena of letting agents being so rubbish that it must actually be quite an effort to maintain such a continuingly low standard of customer care/service?

It's sadly just part and parcel of living in this country. The majority of people performing customer service related roles in companies generally don't want to be there. At the end of the day, to them, it's a wage, they turn up, do as little as possible, then go home and collect their wage at the end of the month.

As an example of peoples laziness, the lady who came to inspect the property we rent this morning informed me that our neighbours had been round to complain about noise at the weekends TWO MONTHS AGO, but they'd decided "we were nice boys who kept the house tidy and they were probably over reacting". In fact, we have been quite noisy recently, as we've had a lodger (20 years old) from New Zealand who goes out on Fri and Sat night every week and was very noisy. Poor neighbours.

My experience of them is that their abilities generally don't extend beyond reading a tenancy agreement. They don't know anything about the broader principles of law and just follow their routines. My previous agent was totally useless - I eventually realised that it was best just to deal with the landlord direct.

It's the menacing and aggressive ones that wind me up. Once whilst negotiating a clause in an AST the Manager of the Foxton's (never again!) branch I was at started screaming at me in their office. Her colleagues rushed to step in and calm her down and eventually she stopped.

The woman completely lost the plot and was on the verge of launching herself physically at me. I assumed at the time she was on drugs or had another issue. Seemed more than a "anger management problem" as it was so severe. Her colleagues were ashamed to see her act that way and obviously worried about the effects on the "Sales" part of the operation. My guess is that they were scared of her and it was a regular event.

I left but was terribly shaken after.

Looking at it as a job, one wonders who would be attracted to it? People who maybe can't get a job elsewhere or could not study for a qualification?

Edited by Flopsy

I think part of the problem is that many of them don't see the tenant as the customer. After all, it's the landlord who has contracted and is paying them.

My first & only agent so far has been very good. Feel sorry for people who haven't got such a good agent

up here in Leeds I have found them pretty decent - except one famous studentville lettings company, anyone familiar with leeds will probably know who

naming GOOD names in Leeds - Spencers and Manning Stainton are excellent

when I lived in norwich I found they ripped you off left right and centre, some in Leeds do that but you just see their T&Cs and avoid

Mine are just unbelievable, everything from getting repairs done taking ages - and requiring me to constantly chase them about things to simply blatently lying to me and never responding to letters or phone calls. (this is not to make it sound like I am constantly badgering them about things - I am not) When I do talk to someone they start blatently making things up to cover their backs ( like the massive ranting letter I wrote about a hole in my ceiling, miraculously I got a call from them the day the letter was delivered saying they were coming to sort it but claimed never to have recieved the (recorded delivery) letter I had sent them.

Why do they do this?

Because they can.

You are not their customer they can bugger you about as much as they like and they aren't going to lose anything

tim

I have found letting agents can be an absolute nightmare. How do they jusify charging huge agency fees for tenants? Why do I have to pay just to renew my tenancy at the end of six months. I'm sure the landlord would be more than happy to keep me on for free! They add massivley to the cost of renting and seem to creat more problems for me than they solve. I think I would probably be better of just dealing with the landlord directly. How do I find a private landlord?

The letting agent I was with for nearly 5 years were actually reasonable competant with repairs, no intrusive inspections and they actually bothered to respond to e-mail very fast. The one time they didn't repair something fast, it was a genuine mistake and they got on the case fast once remined.

It was a real shame that after all this they acted like complete arsewipes when it came to moving out, trying to stiff me on the deposit. Before that I would have recommended them to anyone but they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It was a real shame that after all this they acted like complete arsewipes when it came to moving out, trying to stiff me on the deposit. Before that I would have recommended them to anyone but they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

They never give you back the deposit! Buy now you just have to factor it in to the price of the tenancy. Gets a bit pricey if you keep moving

Because they can.

You are not their customer they can bugger you about as much as they like and they aren't going to lose anything

tim

I think that is what I find so frustrating. There is only one person in the company who I have any faith in and comes across as normal - the rest range from the disinterested to simply downright incompetent.

Thing is I would be perfectly happy if I never had to ever contact them but they are so poor that I keep needing to and their attitude just makes me angry - I am sure there will be note on my file that I am a pain in the whasis and dont get in touch as I will end up shouting at them...

I would move but poor health is making even thinking about such a thing difficult, I am sure the stress of the situation is not helping but I think I really have to make a move.

Most of the ones I have dealt with are plain rude and useless but you have no choice if they are the only ones with the houses in the area you are looking.

My most recent favourite was a viewing we went to. After waiting outside for 15 minutes I rang them to ask where they were and they proceeded to tell me I had cancelled the viewing!! I asked why would I be standing outside the house if I'd cancelled it. She then told me the house had gone!

I was fuming and it basically meant they deleted any viewings from the diary and wait till we ring them rather than the other way round. Just common courtesy was needed.

I have found letting agents can be an absolute nightmare. How do they jusify charging huge agency fees for tenants? Why do I have to pay just to renew my tenancy at the end of six months. I'm sure the landlord would be more than happy to keep me on for free! They add massivley to the cost of renting and seem to creat more problems for me than they solve. I think I would probably be better of just dealing with the landlord directly. How do I find a private landlord?

You don't. Just ignore it and go onto the periodic tenancy.

They have an awful job. No one aspires to do that for a living, the people in those jobs are there because they are too thick and lazy to do anything else. I feel sorry for them, and treat them like idiotic children whenever I have to deal with them. They warm to this treatment. Treat them like adults who actually should take any responsibility for anything and they are baffled and scared.

Remember the idiot kid in class at school who was the only one who was bad at absolutely everything? Look them up on facebook, I guarantee, a letting agent.

They have an awful job. No one aspires to do that for a living, the people in those jobs are there because they are too thick and lazy to do anything else. I feel sorry for them, and treat them like idiotic children whenever I have to deal with them.

I don't think it's an awful job (except when you have to deal with punters that treat you like children).

ISTM that it's a piss easy job based in an office with a little bit of travelling.

Though I accept that some "managers" make it into an awful job by setting unnecessary targets. I've never understood the concept of hard selling a house (for sale or rental). If the punter doesn't like the house for some reason no amount of "nagging" him is going to change his mind.

tim

They have an awful job. No one aspires to do that for a living, the people in those jobs are there because they are too thick and lazy to do anything else. I feel sorry for them, and treat them like idiotic children whenever I have to deal with them. They warm to this treatment. Treat them like adults who actually should take any responsibility for anything and they are baffled and scared.

Remember the idiot kid in class at school who was the only one who was bad at absolutely everything? Look them up on facebook, I guarantee, a letting agent.

Police?