House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Boom Time About To Take Off With Airbus In Bangalore

Airbus has opened its own engineering centre in Bangalore, which it hopes to double in size to 400 staff by 2013. Skills in computer simulation, modelling and design and a large pool of engineering graduates – 350,000 each year – are key drivers. India's engineers are a resource the company will increasingly draw on because of a shortfall of qualified candidates in Britain, France and Germany, chief executive Tom Enders has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8040041/Boom-time-about-to-take-off-with-Airbus-in-Bangalore.html

There goes the engineering jobs,it cheaper and will get even cheaper each year as the building blocks are slowly created.

There is likely to be a tremendous amount of orders coming from India over the coming decades as well. And the Indians are probably at least hinting companies are more likely to win orders if they create a ton of good jobs in India.

plus suppliers and services in the area losing a market.

Why can't there be incentives for these corporates to stay?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8040041/Boom-time-about-to-take-off-with-Airbus-in-Bangalore.html

There goes the engineering jobs,it cheaper and will get even cheaper each year as the building blocks are slowly created.

Tom is being economical with the truth. They are actively taking simulation work away from the uk and sending it to india. This is one of the reasons I left Airbus. It is getting harder to be a simulations engineer there. The uk are changing the name of the work from simulation and modelling to analysis, to avoid the work being noticed and sent to india.

Tom is being economical with the truth. They are actively taking simulation work away from the uk and sending it to india. This is one of the reasons I left Airbus. It is getting harder to be a simulations engineer there. The uk are changing the name of the work from simulation and modelling to analysis, to avoid the work being noticed and sent to india.

How many people study engineering in the UK now days? when I was at Uni it was a few thousand and 95% of my class were overseas students. People in the UK complain about exporting jobs but as there are basically F*** all engineers, because of the stupidity of the general population, its not surprising.

How many people study engineering in the UK now days? when I was at Uni it was a few thousand and 95% of my class were overseas students. People in the UK complain about exporting jobs but as there are basically F*** all engineers, because of the stupidity of the general population, its not surprising.

Well why the F*** would any informed British young person choose to pursue a career in engineering? An engineering degree is extremely hard work and the pay/conditions/security in most UK engineering jobs are sh1t. Why bother?

I'm informing all my young relatives not to make the same mistake that I did.

Edited by BTL Cattle

I graduated with a mechanical engineering degree in the early 90s. Got a job on a miserable industrial estate where I was treated like sh!t and paid peanuts.

Stuck at it for a few years, then switched to IT. Moved to a nice city-centre office, got far more approving looks from other people*, and within 2 years I was earning twice as much.

I would strongly dissuade anyone else from going into engineering (with the possible exception of the petrochemical industry).

* say you're an engineer, and people understand "Kwik Fit mechanic".

Incidentally, what's happening to the Grand Plan of the Western countries to become "knowledge economies" full of highly skilled workers beavering away at high value-added tasks, while the Chindians do the stupid piecework?

How come the Indians are now moving into high-knowledge work? Did no one tell them that they are supposed to stick to the easy stuff and let us superior Westerners do all the thinking? ;)

If - shock, horror! - it turns out that the Chindians are in fact just as smart as us, and no longer need us to design their cars and planes for them - then what's Plan B?

Guys - stop depressing me... I'm still in engineering and have no desire to move to IT.

LOL - IT is not exactly a safe haven from outsourcing, anyone who thinks they are dodging a bullet by shifting from engineering to IT must be hard of thinking.

Yeah, 'cos how could it be possible for those darkies to comprehend the workings of the white man's machines? :rolleyes:

Pure cultural arrogance.

Nope. It is a cultural problem. Did you see that bridge at the Commonwealth games? The ceiling of the weightlifting stadium?

Edited by Tiger Woods?

Hmmmmm....

One could argue that the US and Japan moved jobs to the UK in order for them to get a foothold in the European market and it was cheaper for them to build the cars locally than ship them from their home countries.

However, with an airplane the transport cost just isn't a factor. For obvious reasons.

The european airbus countries should be encouraging/sponsoring local EU grads to work in their industry. But that would take time and investment. Something in short supply in private business these days. :rolleyes:

If you read the article they sacked 150 workers in the UK while employing workers in india to do exactly the same job. Its nothing to do with a shortage of workers in the UK and everything to do with labour arbitrage.

Noone in the UK with any sense wants to become an engineer because of occurances like this which have taken place on an absolutely massive scale.

Incidentally, what's happening to the Grand Plan of the Western countries to become "knowledge economies" full of highly skilled workers beavering away at high value-added tasks, while the Chindians do the stupid piecework?

How come the Indians are now moving into high-knowledge work? Did no one tell them that they are supposed to stick to the easy stuff and let us superior Westerners do all the thinking?

If - shock, horror! - it turns out that the Chindians are in fact just as smart as us, and no longer need us to design their cars and planes for them - then what's Plan B?

The knowledge economy is alive and well-according to David Cameron. So it's not dead...just restin' :lol:

So what do you suggest to engineers such as myself??? Re-train as an electrician for 2-3 years with next to no pay during that time? Go into banking, IT?

IT?, God no, IT is probably the worst affected industry for offshoring/onshoring/outsourcing. :blink:

They were all brainwashed for over a decade with the

"We are a Service Economy" crap

Re-train as an electrician for 2-3 years

If your a "real engineer" I would have thought you could master the basics of domestic electrics in about 2-3 hours. I mean really, what does it involve ? - a vague knowledge are voltage/current/power relationship (although I wonder how many "sparkies" could actually quote V=IR), memorizing how much current various wire core sizes can take, and being able to lay cables in neat straight lines (probably the hardest bit ...)