House Price Crash Forum

Opening Of Delhi 2010

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442

I saw a bit of the opening ceremony and was very underwhelmed. Tedious speeches (the organiser was booed) name-checking the useless politicians whose pompous incompetence have compromised the preparations for the games. The same politicians were sitting there looking bored out of their minds. The Commonwealth Games have indeed put the spotlight on India - disgraceful mistreatment of the poor; corrupt 'management' who are in charge but not in control; aloof and arrogant leadership incapable of seeing beyond their petty political interests; an approach that delivered a makeshift mess cobbled together at the last minute - oh, and let's not forget playing the race card when faced with criticism.

I was bowled over by the Beijing Olympics. That event set a milestone in China's rise to prominence on the world stage. In contrast the Delhi Commonwealth Games have shown that India's grandiose self-regard shouldn't be taken seriously. They still reckon they'll bid for the 2020 Olympics. Ridiculous.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Well, yeah. But those peacock dancers were belters.

Unfortunately I missed that bit.

One thing that I think London 2012 may suffer from is extravaganza fatigue. It seems we have one of these mammoth spectacles every few months. The South African World Cup and the Beijing Olympics seem only yesterday. One carefully choreographed dance troupe seems to blend into another. Loud music, lots of drums, flashing lights, a tedious pop anthem, a stupid mascot and then a big firework display at the end. Dare I say it - It's becoming a multi-million pound bore. Don't get me wrong - I'm very excited and optimistic about London 2012. I just hope they do something original. They've certainly got their work cut out.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I see the first athlete has contracted dengue fever................................Should have sent Brian Hanrahan out there to cover it ........

but I counted them all out and I counted them all back
..............we can only hope !

HOLA447
HOLA448

snip I'm very excited and optimistic about London 2012. I just hope they do something original. They've certainly got their work cut out.

Im more than a little concerned for the aftermath in 2013..

HOLA449

Archived