House Price Crash Forum

Rapid Global Warming In Greenland

Pick It Down

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn High Frequency Temperatures....1 ms its freezing, the next is hot hot hot....

I expect a lot of snow this winter, but this is more or less normal

It snows all year round here but it all depends on the height or altitude

We have already had snow these last two weeks or so but over 2,300 m in altitude

Having said that the Alps now have there autumn look about themselves a light -white

The leaves are falling ,the temperatures are getting colder,the days are getting shorter

The white -gold will soon arrive and for many here there income counts on the winter ski -season

Surely the more interesting graph is the second one, which shows that there is _no warming trend at all_ in the raw, actual, physically measured temperature data, and that the supposed warming trend is entirely the product of magic 'adjustments'?

Why is that the magic 'adjustments' always seem to make temperature trends increase and never decrease?

Anyway, good news for Greenland. It can return back to the warmer greener country it was when it was discovered and first earned its self explanatory name.

I thought Al Gore and his minions had successfully rewritten history over such things? I think you'll find that Greenland is actually Ancient Vikingese for "feck me me, this place is cold! And white. Oh yes, not green at all"

Please report to to your local council for re-education.

So they weren't lying.

nuuk_ap_giss.png

Man made global warming for sure. Man made algorithms forcing warming out of data that doesn't show it.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/10/03/watts-up-with-nuuk/

Nuuk Nuuk Nuuk...

Let's construct electricity generation 5x more expensive than it needs to be which will only have load factors of 30%.

Based on that graph from Nuuk Nuuk Nuuk...

This is a Three Stooges joke right?

I thought Al Gore and his minions had successfully rewritten history over such things? I think you'll find that Greenland is actually Ancient Vikingese for "feck me me, this place is cold! And white. Oh yes, not green at all"

Please report to to your local council for re-education.

Over the time span of human civilisation Greenland has always been green around the edges with a big fluffy white centre.

As noted previously, Eric the Red (Patron Saint of Estate Agents) changed the name from Groundland to Greenland to make it sound attractive to settlers and thus strengthen his power base.

By Green of course what the settlers found at the end of their one way voyage was thin soil, grass, moss and lichens. However if you are to believe a certain group of people, some quite prolific here, they found lush tropical jungles with bananas and pineapples a plenty :lol:

Over the time span of human civilisation Greenland has always been green around the edges with a big fluffy white centre.

As noted previously, Eric the Red (Patron Saint of Estate Agents) changed the name from Groundland to Greenland to make it sound attractive to settlers and thus strengthen his power base.

By Green of course what the settlers found at the end of their one way voyage was thin soil, grass, moss and lichens. However if you are to believe a certain group of people, some quite prolific here, they found lush tropical jungles with bananas and pineapples a plenty :lol:

Didn't the colony eventually fail though due to it getting colder? Although the idea that it was a nice temperate climate at some point seems rather absurd the idea that it could have changed from difficult, cold, and miserable to impossible doesn't.

Didn't the colony eventually fail though due to it getting colder? Although the idea that it was a nice temperate climate at some point seems rather absurd the idea that it could have changed from difficult, cold, and miserable to impossible doesn't.

The failure of the Viking colony on Greenland is partly explained by climatic factors however agricultural practices were also a major factor.

Regionally the climate is thought to have got colder - primarily through the north altantic drift moving further east and a stronger labrador current bringing cold water from the arctic.

However the Viking Settlers attempted to practice agriculture - raising livestock and growing root crops on the coastal margins. This just caused rapid erosion of soils. In contrast the innuits diet was predominantly marine based and thus expalians their survival.

So yes it went from miserable cold & wet to impossible between 1000AD and 1400AD.

Greenland was the 11th century equivalent of Penal Australia in the 18th Century. It was where exiles were sent from the Norwegian - Danish Empire. It was always a hardship posting.

By Green of course what the settlers found at the end of their one way voyage was thin soil, grass, moss and lichens.

However if you are to believe a certain group of people, some quite prolific here, they found lush tropical jungles with bananas and pineapples a plenty :lol:

They only say it's cold 'up North' coz they don't want plebs visiting the place!

Think you're clever - ask the BBC? :P

"Although Iceland is reliant upon fishing and aluminum production as the mainstays of its economy, there is also some banana production!"

"The BBC quiz programme QI claims that Iceland is the largest European banana producer"

(Bet Mr Fry enjoyed telling that one!)

"Although Iceland is reliant upon fishing and aluminum production as the mainstays of its economy, there is also some banana production!"

"The BBC quiz programme QI claims that Iceland is the largest European banana producer"

...and here it is with the parts you missed out:

Although Iceland is reliant upon fishing and aluminum production as the mainstays of its economy, there is also some banana production. However, this does not occur on a commercial scale, but was an experiment to show that water from the hot geysers could provide a localised climate sufficient for this.

The BBC quiz programme QI claims that Iceland is the largest European banana producer.However, in 2007, the largest European banana producer by far was Spain.

Iceland is a net importer of bananas, amounting to approximately 14 kg per capita per annum.

In terms of recent history, the evidence is that temperatures did drop sharply (probably 2-3 degrees C) between 1000AD and 1400AD. There is considerable corroborative evidence to support this: oxygen isotopes from ice cores, plus extensive archeological evidence (e.g. early graves were dug to 6ft deep; later graves just 2ft, due to the rising permafrost).

It is true to say, however, 2-3 degrees C warmer is not going to turn Greenland into a tropical paradise. It would still be a cold and tough life.

Of course, when the temperature drops, agriculture will suffer as well. The "evidence" for soil erosion is based on analysis of fossils and pollen stratigraphy, but this evidence fails Occam's razor; cold weather alone will cause agriculture to fail, and will have a similar effect on fossils and pollen as the claimed soil erosion. In simple terms, the temperature drop alone is sufficient to explain the failure of the Viking colonies. Of course, this does not sit well with global warming advocates who have to try and invoke other explanations, but have yet to provide compelling evidence beyond that which would be expected from a temperature drop alone.

As for when Greenland was last "green", or at least "less white", during the Eemian (the last interglacial), Greenland was virtually ice-free. This was approx. 120,000 years ago; when CO2 levels were at around 280ppm. Greenland during the Holocene (the current interglacial, the last 12000 years or so) has largely been warmer than current temperatures, peaking around 6000 to 8000 years before prseent, but cooler than it was during the Eemian.

They only say it's cold 'up North' coz they don't want plebs visiting the place!

Think you're clever - ask the BBC? :P

Wrong Island Erranta. We woz talkin about Greenland not iceland which as far as I am aware is geologically inactive - unlike Iceland which is one big volcano.

In terms of recent history, the evidence is that temperatures did drop sharply (probably 2-3 degrees C) between 1000AD and 1400AD. There is considerable corroborative evidence to support this: oxygen isotopes from ice cores, plus extensive archeological evidence (e.g. early graves were dug to 6ft deep; later graves just 2ft, due to the rising permafrost).

It is true to say, however, 2-3 degrees C warmer is not going to turn Greenland into a tropical paradise. It would still be a cold and tough life.

Of course, when the temperature drops, agriculture will suffer as well. The "evidence" for soil erosion is based on analysis of fossils and pollen stratigraphy, but this evidence fails Occam's razor; cold weather alone will cause agriculture to fail, and will have a similar effect on fossils and pollen as the claimed soil erosion. In simple terms, the temperature drop alone is sufficient to explain the failure of the Viking colonies. Of course, this does not sit well with global warming advocates who have to try and invoke other explanations, but have yet to provide compelling evidence beyond that which would be expected from a temperature drop alone.

As for when Greenland was last "green", or at least "less white", during the Eemian (the last interglacial), Greenland was virtually ice-free. This was approx. 120,000 years ago; when CO2 levels were at around 280ppm. Greenland during the Holocene (the current interglacial, the last 12000 years or so) has largely been warmer than current temperatures, peaking around 6000 to 8000 years before prseent, but cooler than it was during the Eemian.

The soil erosion exacerbated the problem - try ploughing or heavy grazing of thin soils in a very wet polar maritime climate. Most the top soil will end up in the sea.

I have to admit that arguing with the WUWT auto-post bot probably isn't going to be productive, but..

2010vs2005+1998.gif

It's been a freakishly warm year in Greenland thus far even compared with previously record-hot years, and I'd hazard a guess that it's all related to the changes in the jet stream for this year that also caused the freak heatwave in Russia and floods in Pakistan.

I have to admit that arguing with the WUWT auto-post bot probably isn't going to be productive, but..

2010vs2005+1998.gif

It's been a freakishly warm year in Greenland thus far even compared with previously record-hot years, and I'd hazard a guess that it's all related to the changes in the jet stream for this year that also caused the freak heatwave in Russia and floods in Pakistan.

doctored beyond all recognition

where is the raw data??

...and here it is with the parts you missed out:

Pathetic

All I had to prove was Bananas are 'grown' in Iceland/Greenland - Duh!

Wrong Island Erranta. We woz talkin about Greenland not iceland which as far as I am aware is geologically inactive - unlike Iceland which is one big volcano.

Same place as far as I'm concerned - but i'll settle for 50-50

"geologically the island is part of both continental plates"

therefore half of it is stuck to Greenland - like the Blitish Isles are counted as part of European continent

No offence to Icelanders!

Does that mean that Europe should only have bailed out half of Iceland?

Bingo - Banana splits! :PB)

Imf gave them a loan - plus

There is no reason why they should pay the money back. Ordinary people didn't run up the debts; the Dutch and British governments were guilty of regulatory incompetence; the overseas savers were stupid and greedy; and meeting the debt might well bankrupt the country for a generation.

If they refuse, they will make a point that taxpayers in many other countries will sympathize with:

We won't always pick up the bill for losses made by bankers.

2010vs2005+1998.gif

Damn, I wish someone had told me we'd been having such a wonderful decade of weather in the UK, or that 2010 was already over

doctored beyond all recognition

where is the raw data??

:rolleyes:

Huge underwater volcano found off Indonesia

12 Jul 10 - Taller than all but three or four mountains in Indonesia,

the two-mile-high volcano was found in an area about the size of

Delaware.

Delaware is the second smallest state in the United

States. Imagine how many undiscovered underwater volcanoes

there must be!

Deepest black smokers ever discovered - 12 Apr 10 -

Experts say the superheated waters inside these volcanic vents are hot enough to melt lead.

And we wonder what is heating our seas.

Acid Oceans Due to Underwater Volcanoes?

3,477,403 Underwater Volcanoes

31 Mar 10 - New study refutes theory that humans are acidifying oceans

(Bolsters my contention that underwater volcanoes are heating the seas.)

The soil erosion exacerbated the problem - try ploughing or heavy grazing of thin soils in a very wet polar maritime climate. Most the top soil will end up in the sea.

This is pretty much everything I find wrong with climate "science" - the extensive use of proof-by-assertion. People putting plausible sounding explanations together and simply asserting them to be what happened.

Unfortunately, this really isn't how science works. If you are trying to argue from a scientific position, you have to explain the plausibility and provide evidence.

Your claim has too many vague terms in it. What amounts to "heavy grazing"? How have you estimated the degree of "heavy grazing" that the Vikings engaged in? Then, how much soil erosion would be required to contribute to the collapse of the colony? What experiments can you refer to that tie the level of grazing (over the entire confidence interval of your estimate) would cause this level of soil erosion?

Your claims lead to more questions than answers.

Archived