House Price Crash Forum

The Great Irish Escape

HOLA441
HOLA442

Of course..If the government demands you pay taxes in FIAT, it must ensure, as part of its duties, that there is a means to earn it, buy food and drink, and shelter.

Doesnt mean they have to provide the exact job you want, trained for or deserve. Indeed, they dont have to provide ANY jobs...but they MUST ensure the conditions for enterprise are encouraged...or we could all live in a command economy i suppose.

Sure, but over much of Ireland you can't even get the minimum wage jobs anymore - in Wexford they recently had hundreds of people applying for a few jobs in a new cinema - inc loads of graduates. You can imagine how bad things are further west!

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA443

Ever heard of such a thing as a brain drain. These people cannot get work and therefore have to emigrate - can't even get McJobs in much of Ireland these days.

they could if they tried...If they were a bit entreprenuerial.

Sadly, for many people, doing it for yourself is a step too far. And god help you if you make anything for yourself.

HOLA444

Those nasty Irish banks have just about killed their economy. :angry: It might bring down Irish property prices though, as the whole population moves out. ;)

They already have been falling hard - even n of the border many areas have seen 60% drops. Who wants a bleedin house if you can't work and benefits are about to be slashed.

HOLA445

Sure, but over much of Ireland you can't even get the minimum wage jobs anymore - in Wexford they recently had hundreds of people applying for a few jobs in a new cinema - inc loads of graduates. You can imagine how bad things are further west!

Same in the UK...my daughter, for example, could only get reception work...and that was cos her mum worked there....she moved to France and became a waitress and full time sunbather.

HOLA446

they could if they tried...If they were a bit entreprenuerial.

Sadly, for many people, doing it for yourself is a step too far. And god help you if you make anything for yourself.

As an entrepreneur myself, I agree, though I'd've been hard pushed to set up my own businesses when I was straight out of college. Didn't have the money, training, etc. And who are you gonna sell to if everyone's broke.

HOLA447

As an entrepreneur myself, I agree, though I'd've been hard pushed to set up my own businesses when I was straight out of college. Didn't have the money, training, etc. And who are you gonna sell to if everyone's broke.

Yes, its hard, I agree.

Everyone needs something...the trick is finding that something. Even in a recession, the money that was created before the bust is still out there...just need to find it..

HOLA448

Yes, its hard, I agree.

Everyone needs something...the trick is finding that something. Even in a recession, the money that was created before the bust is still out there...just need to find it..

I dug out this old book I bought decades ago about which sectors to focus on in a 'downwave' - might just give that one another read ;).

PS. Digital marketing seems to have weathered the recession very well - many agencies I work with have been expanding - mainstream ad agencies, PR agencies, etc. seem to have been suffering like never before.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA449

I dug out this old book I bought decades ago about which sectors to focus on in a 'downwave' - might just give that one another read ;).

PS. Digital marketing seems to have weathered the recession very well - many agencies I work with have been expanding - mainstream ad agencies, PR agencies, etc. seem to have been suffering like never before.

Digital marketing? whats that exactly? I can guess, but it sounds interesting...

HOLA4410

Digital marketing? whats that exactly? I can guess, but it sounds interesting...

Courtesy of wikipedia...

"Digital Marketing is the practice of promoting products and services using digital distribution channels to reach consumers in a timely, relevant, personal and cost-effective manner.

Whilst digital marketing does include many of the techniques and practices contained within the category of Internet Marketing, it extends beyond this by including other channels with which to reach people that do not require the use of The Internet. As a result of this non-reliance on the Internet, the field of digital marketing includes a whole host of elements such as mobile phones, sms/mms, display / banner ads and digital outdoor"

Budgets have been switched - clients seem to prefer digital cos many of the techniques used are more measurable - whereas non-digital marketing is often difficult to evaluate (and traditional advertising campaigns often do more damage than good - reducing sales, etc.).

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Courtesy of wikipedia...

"Digital Marketing is the practice of promoting products and services using digital distribution channels to reach consumers in a timely, relevant, personal and cost-effective manner.

Whilst digital marketing does include many of the techniques and practices contained within the category of Internet Marketing, it extends beyond this by including other channels with which to reach people that do not require the use of The Internet. As a result of this non-reliance on the Internet, the field of digital marketing includes a whole host of elements such as mobile phones, sms/mms, display / banner ads and digital outdoor"

Budgets have been switched - clients seem to prefer it cos many of the techniques used are more measurable - whereas non-digital marketing is often difficult to evaluate (and traditional advertising campaigns often do more damage than good - reducing sales, etc.).

ah..facebook ads and links to the phone and the fridge.

Im a bit sceptical on that front....it seems a bit gadget to me...so whatever you do you cant get comfy, you gotta move to the next thing PDQ...bit like the very fast lifecycles of digital products these days...measured in weeks in some lines like laptops and some phones.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

ah..facebook ads and links to the phone and the fridge.

Im a bit sceptical on that front....it seems a bit gadget to me...so whatever you do you cant get comfy, you gotta move to the next thing PDQ...bit like the very fast lifecycles of digital products these days...measured in weeks in some lines like laptops and some phones.

Sure, like so much it's a trend - but people are making a lot of money doing it, for the moment anyway.

Blimey, Christy Moore really is a storm in a t-shirt - saw him live in London years ago - the Irish community there really identified with this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pWCoqxvrA -

- and Paul Brady

England was a bad destination for many Irish in the past - thankfully times have changed. Doesn't take away the pain of leaving your family and community though.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4417

could this in the long term lead to a shortage of labour as the middle generation grows up and retires without being able to sell their house. house prices fall. demand for young labour rises higher wages and lower prices occur restarting the cycle over again??

HOLA4418

could this in the long term lead to a shortage of labour as the middle generation grows up and retires without being able to sell their house. house prices fall. demand for young labour rises higher wages and lower prices occur restarting the cycle over again??

Don't think so , it is going to take some big shift to mop up the 8 million economicaly inactive people of working age. Plus they can always import more in order to keep wages down. Some retires will sell their houses to the people with money the rest stay put and pass the property on.

The way things are going many that own houses in the coming decades will have been left them or would come form a small group of people earning enough to buy them .A much smaller group of people will buy their houses from what they earn unlike in the past where most purchased from earnings.

The rest are going to be stuffed. The way we import people without building houses is just going to put more pressure on the stock that we have and in the South East and London more and more people with money are coming in from accross the globe and pricing out the population.