House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Half Of Rural Soap Characters Could Never Afford To Buy

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/1014309/Half-of-rural-soap-characters-could-never-afford-to-buy-their-houses.html

HALF of the characters in rural soaps are living way beyond their means in homes they couldn't hope to afford in real life.

Soaring property costs in the countryside mean that many favourite shows are becoming very detached from the stories of everyday folk, according to new research.

Half of the 106 characters in Emmerdale, Doc Martin and the Archers would have to up sticks and live in cheaper urban areas because they don't earn enough to buy their homes, says a National Housing Federation survey.

The average British village house now costs a whopping £223,000 - more than 11 TIMES most rural wages.

That means Emmerdale chef Marlon Dingle wouldn't be able to afford to buy in the fictional Yorkshire village.

Pauline Lamb, who plays the receptionist in Doc Martin, would also be in trouble. Properties in the affluent coastal village - where the country GP drama is set - can fetch millions. And times would be tough for ex-farmer Eddie Grundy in The Archers, set in the fictional Midlands village of Ambridge.

Federation chief executive David Orr said: "Many people on modest incomes can no longer afford to live in the countryside so shops, pubs and local services may close. Local authorities need to come up with an action plan to deliver affordable homes."

Soaps would be more interesting if most of the characters couldn't live in the locality.

An interesting way to show that most people can't afford to live in their local area.

Soaps would be more interesting if most of the characters couldn't live in the locality.

An interesting way to show that most people can't afford to live in their local area.

Don't all the soaps include stories of people in all kinds of different circumstances, from rich landowners through to the struggling landless? That's part of their purpose, innit?

I think this is actually quite important.

If soaps did genuinely cover real life storylines, they would show that virtually all of the young people on whom most stories focus can't afford to live in a decent standard of accommodation. This might genuinely prompt a change in attitudes to property prices among the average punter.

The type of terraced houses that apparently poor people live in in Eastenders now cost upwards of £600k. I don't watch Eastenders, but I'd love to know if there's ever been a storyline about how ludicrous the prices are for their depressing hovels.

I don't watch soaps but I don't hear of any news about any of the characters being heavily in mortgage debt or have made a big mistake on BTL empire building.

Maybe my brain switches off when someone mentions soaps.

I think whoever did this research should have pointed out that 20-30 years ago the soap characters would have been able to afford their housing on their income it's only in the last 10 years or so that we've had the crazy housing bubble. There were always booms and busts before but the cycles were much shorter than our current bubble. People like the fictional Charlie Slater would have been able to buy somewhere on their income years ago, since then housing bubble and gentrificiation of east london would make it impossible for someone in the same job just starting out.

I don't watch soaps but I don't hear of any news about any of the characters being heavily in mortgage debt or have made a big mistake on BTL empire building.

Maybe my brain switches off when someone mentions soaps.

Corry has been bordering on it for a while with property renovation

The irony is that most of the loaded 'old money' landowners around here look like emmerdale quasi-tramp Shadrak. They dont wear expensive suits, drive nice cars or have trophy wives. They do however have homes valued in the millions. F'fing fulfords come to mind.

SHADRACH_DINGLE280_458926a.jpg

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/showbiz/1014309/Half-of-rural-soap-characters-could-never-afford-to-buy-their-houses.html

The houses in Albert Square would be worth a fortune. To much for most of the characters in Eastenders.

The houses in Albert Square would be worth a fortune. To much for most of the characters in Eastenders.

And despite living in £500k houses, apparently none can afford a washing machine.

Must be all that money wasted in the VIc, or having every single breakfast or cappateeeee in the caff.

Edited by PopGun

And despite living in £500k houses, apparently none can afford a washing machine.

Must be all that money wasted in the VIc, or having every single breakfast of cappateeeee in the caff.

But you never see anyone rolling drunk in the Vic, so they can't be doing their brains over the bar.

Must be all that money wasted in the VIc, or having every single breakfast or cappateeeee in the caff.

500K is NOTHING BUT POCKET CHANGE to your average middle-aged Eastender. Think of the proceeds from all those bank jobs - all that inhereted wealth - a pub here, a Victorian terrace there, the odd basement nightclub, etc, etc. All regularly torched for insurance payouts. This group of people must be the richest in the country. Think of the luxury of only having to put in a couple of hours a day under the "arches" to keep yourself occupied - not the 12 hour days you find people working in Canary Wharf. Mugs.