House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

University Students Could Face More Than £10,000 A Year In Fees

Student rental areas should collapse if this goes through.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/02/universities-tuition-fees-students-browne

University students could face more than £10,000 a year in fees

• Government's official adviser to propose radical new plan

• Browne recommends bursaries for poorer students

Students on graduation day Lord Browne's recommendations, if adopted, could leave some graduating students with debts in excess of £80,000. Photograph: Rii Schroer/Rex Features

A free market in tuition fees in which universities will be free to charge more than £10,000 a year for courses is expected to be recommended by the government's official adviser on higher education next week

Students on graduation day Lord Browne's recommendations, if adopted, could leave some graduating students with debts in excess of £80,000. Photograph: Rii Schroer/Rex Features

Well that will be another nail in the coffin for house prices, repaying an £80,000 debt is going to more than hamper the 50%(!) of young people we are told should be gaining degrees....

If I had a kid now I would be encouraging them to train in something useful (unless they were capable and wanted to be a Doctor/Lawer etc) and give University a miss.

Well that will be another nail in the coffin for house prices, repaying an £80,000 debt is going to more than hamper the 50%(!) of young people we are told should be gaining degrees....

If I had a kid now I would be encouraging them to train in something useful (unless they were capable and wanted to be a Doctor/Lawer etc) and give University a miss.

I'm an experienced IT support guy, now in the middle of a degree, and the only interview recently has been for low-paid warehouse work. There just ain't the jobs for these millions to take up, period.

One example: I registered with Reed years ago, and I check the job count advertised on there when applying. It peaked at around 300,000 sometime in 2006. It's now less than 100,000. On the other hand, the number of unemployed has doubled in just 2 years...

Edited by HPC001

Universities are now effectively CLOSED.

After enjoying free education and grants, the boomers are finnally pulling up the ladder behind them.

Funny. My 19-year-old nephew is just starting his second year. And I'm optimistic he'll do better in life than his uncle.

The poorer you are, the higher your cost of capital. For those with savings, at current interest rates, money is effectively free which makes the effective cost of attending university different depending on your financial status.

I'm at a loss as to why the management consultants advising the last government, people who were supposed to care about these thing, didn't twig to this even if the pollies didn't. Unless they did and they just didn't care.

The poorer you are, the higher your cost of capital.

Yes. We're going through wholesale capital deflation for 95% of the population, while essential goods continue to remain high due to reduced company budgets and the ever-inflated cost of doing business (property rental being the key one).

Student rental areas should collapse if this goes through.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/02/universities-tuition-fees-students-browne

University students could face more than £10,000 a year in fees

• Government's official adviser to propose radical new plan

• Browne recommends bursaries for poorer students

A free market in tuition fees in which universities will be free to charge more than £10,000 a year for courses is expected to be recommended by the government's official adviser on higher education next week

This is clearly an attempt to reverse the situation where over half of school leavers are pursuing higher education.

A degree is not worth £30k.

A nice car and a neat suit will be a better investment! :blink:

Yes. We're going through wholesale capital deflation for 95% of the population, while essential goods continue to remain high due to reduced company budgets and the ever-inflated cost of doing business (property rental being the key one).

Hmm, sounds like the temporary Austrian BUST phase. Which THEY claim to have eliminated. but havent.

it will pass.

This scary idea is really getting traction now.

It really breaks my heart that we will be enslaving entire generations into debt like this.

The Market has a very limited role in education up to and including higher ed.

This scary idea is really getting traction now.

It really breaks my heart that we will be enslaving entire generations into debt like this.

The Market has a very limited role in education up to and including higher ed.

Or maybe they wont bother...maybe they'll close a few Unis, a lot of Unis.

Prediction: it won't be entire generations, it'll be a lottery. Like it is today, and like it has been in the past. It'll be crippling for some but not so bad for others. The question that remains is what criteria will determine winners and losers: it would be good to see an element of merit-based scholarships return to the system.

Right now we are living with the doom and gloom of Labour's £3.2k/year fees and no help. Except, it turns out to be £4.9k help based on a flawed assessment of parental income (both last year's figures). A like-for-like comparison with those boomers who enjoyed generous grants says today's students have a net £1.7k/year grant - not generous, but a far cry from the £20k+ debt the VI spin tells us. And while the amount of the grant is ungenerous, the means-testing is a lot more generous than it was. If your parents are assessed as on median income today you get the full grant; in the "good old days" you'd've had to be on much lower than median income to qualify.

The UK Educonomy has peaked. You should only go to univerisity IF your career choice demands a degree in a particular subject. Even then .... there are 200,000 new graduates every year ... is it worth the hassle?

The UK Educonomy supports the lives of over a million people ... but we don't need 200,000 graduates per year ... madness!

it would be good to see an element of merit-based scholarships return to the system.

How nice that would be - merit based scholarships rather than means based / tested.

If the top 10% could enter for free, £10k p/a fees for the rest would be much more palatable.

Otherwise it's the middle classes who get squeezed again. The poor will receive generous bursaries as you point out.

Edited by Kyoto

This is clearly an attempt to reverse the situation where over half of school leavers are pursuing higher education.

We need less people going to university but this is not a fair way to do it.

How nice that would be - merit based scholarships rather than means based / tested.

If the top 10% could enter for free, £10k p/a fees for the rest would be much more palatable.

Otherwise it's the middle classes who get squeezed again. The poor will receive generous bursaries as you point out.

The top 10% will largely be composed of students from private schools.

If the intention is to make UK universities completely free-market I hope they realise that the market is global. The smart kids will be heading off to EU, US or Asian universities where the fees will be less than £10k a year, the facilities better, and the experience probably more rounded.

If the intention is to make UK universities completely free-market I hope they realise that the market is global. The smart kids will be heading off to EU, US or Asian universities where the fees will be less than £10k a year, the facilities better, and the experience probably more rounded.

Thing is, the UK universities do have several advantages over EU / Asian counterparts, particularly 1) English speaking, 2) safe environment not too far from mum and dad and 3) much, much better reputation (on any rating scale you choose to use).

Further, there is no culture of UK students heading off overseas to take undergrad degrees and God knows how A levels are viewed, etc. Pricewise, UK unis will still be cheaper than good US schools which I would have thought would be the ones to chose.

The top 10% will largely be composed of students from private schools.

So what? If they are the best students most likely to be the best in their subjects then what's the problem? Universities should be trying to create the best graduates after all. If the balance of students who are good enough to go is skewed then there's a problem that needs sorting with schools, not universities.

So what? If they are the best students most likely to be the best in their subjects then what's the problem? Universities should be trying to create the best graduates after all. If the balance of students who are good enough to go is skewed then there's a problem that needs sorting with schools, not universities.

Best educated, certainly. Best students and graduates, not necessarily.

The school question is quite separate.