House Price Crash Forum
or in excess of

Buy A Few Chickens

Given the "perks" for owning a farm, such as no inheritance tax, and the benefits, sorry subsidies you get, such as the Single Farm Payment, i was wondering what the criteria was for calling a home, a farm. Couple of chickens and a goat, maybe? As i understand it, the gummint literally throw money at farmers in the form of the SFP, just for keeping the hedgrows tidy, and repair any damaged dry stone walls they may have. Hey, they don`t even have to have any livestock. The more fields you have, the more money you get. Right, where`s that incubator?

Given the "perks" for owning a farm, such as no inheritance tax, and the benefits, sorry subsidies you get, such as the Single Farm Payment, i was wondering what the criteria was for calling a home, a farm. Couple of chickens and a goat, maybe? As i understand it, the gummint literally throw money at farmers in the form of the SFP, just for keeping the hedgrows tidy, and repair any damaged dry stone walls they may have. Hey, they don`t even have to have any livestock. The more fields you have, the more money you get. Right, where`s that incubator?

I think it's 12 acres, for planning purposes, barns, etc. SFP is peanuts. Remember, agriculture is the most indebted sector.

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/faq/single-farm-payment-questions/questions-on-single-farm-payment-general.htm#can-i-claim-single-farm-payment-if-i-do-not-hold-payment-entitlements?

Reading between the lines, they decided what was a farm in 2005 and even if you had a shed load of land now if it wasnt a farm in 2005 it can't be a farm now unless you buy it off someone else.

This thread reminds me of a great letter I once read:

The Rt Hon David Miliband MP

Secretary of State,

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA),

Nobel House

17 Smith Square

London SW1P 3JR

16 May 2007

Dear Secretary of State,

My friend, who is in farming at the moment, recently received a cheque for GBP3,000 from the Rural Payments Agency for not rearing pigs.

I would now like to join the "not rearing pigs" business. In your opinion, what is the best kind of farm not to rear pigs on and which is the best breed of pigs not to rear? I want to be sure I approach this endeavour in keeping with all government policies, as dictated by the EU under the Common Agricultural Policy.

I would prefer not to rear bacon pigs, but if this is not the type you want not rearing, I will just as gladly not rear porkers. Are there any advantages in not rearing rare breeds such as Saddlebacks or Gloucester Old Spots, or are there too many people already not rearing these? As I see it, the hardest part of this programme will be keeping an accurate record of how many pigs I haven't reared. Are there any Government or Local Authority courses on this? My friend is very satisfied with this business. He has been rearing pigs for forty years or so, and the best he ever made on them was GBP1,422 in 1968. That is - until this year, when he received a cheque for not rearing any. If I get GBP3,000 for not rearing 50 pigs, will I get GBP6,000 for not rearing 100? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to about 4,000 pigs not raised, which will mean about GBP240,000 for the first year. As I become more expert in not rearing pigs, I plan to be more ambitious, perhaps increasing to, say, 40,000 pigs not reared in my second year, for which I should expect about GBP2.4 million from your department.

Incidentally, I wonder if I would be eligible to receive tradable carbon credits for all these pigs not producing harmful and polluting methane gases? Another point: These pigs that I plan not to rear will not eat 2,000 tonnes of cereals. I understand that you also pay farmers for not growing crops. Will I qualify for payments for not growing cereals to not feed the pigs I don't rear?

I am also considering the "not milking cows" business, so please send any information you have on that too. Please could you also include the current DEFRA advice on set aside fields? Can this be done on an e-commerce basis with virtual fields (of which I seem to have several thousand hectares)?

In view of the above, you will realise that I will be totally unemployed, and will therefore qualify for unemployment benefits. I shall of course be voting for your party at the next general election.

Yours faithfully,

Nigel Johnson-Hill.

I think it's 12 acres, for planning purposes, barns, etc. SFP is peanuts. Remember, agriculture is the most indebted sector.

I believe a fram needs to be in excess of 223 acres or thereabouts

I believe a small holding needs to be in excess of 15 acres

I believe you need to register with defra to obtain an agricultural holding number

i believe the payments cease in 2013

you may not be able to benefit from any wayleaves unless the vendor passes these on tto you.

please do not take the above as gospel but it gives you an idea.

smallholdings are not iht free

farms are not 100% iht free

for the main dwelling to be classified as a farmhouse it must be clear there is an office internally not an "estate office" in another building

hmrc are very savvy to all the tricks, work with them and they will guide you

don't be tempted to rip the vat as offsets - not worth it

don't be tempted by red diesel - not worth it

lock everything up securely as the pikeys will have it in a nanno second

Don't buy too many chickens or else they might use up too much land that could be more profitable to sell as house building plots.

You need to be as shrewd as this chap:

Article from 2010

Two other north-east farming businesses – Craigellachie-based Glenmore Properties, and Ross Bros, of Strichen – have also received £1million-plus awards from the single farm payment (SFP) regime.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1635315

From 2009

A MORAY developer insists that a revival is underway in the housing market, with home-builders snapping up plots in his latest rural development. Stephen Strathdee has submitted a masterplan to the Moray Council for a 30-plot development at Tomnabent, near Craigellachie. Strathdee Properties has already developed 20 houses at the site.

They own 180 sites across Moray, Highland and Aberdeenshire, including 39 farms, which are all farmed on behalf of the company. Mr Strathdee’s farms are a major supplier of potatoes to Tesco stores

http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8091/Moray_developer_predicts_upturn_in_housing_market.html

Strathdee Site

http://www.strathdeeproperties.com/sites.html

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/faq/single-farm-payment-questions/questions-on-single-farm-payment-general.htm#can-i-claim-single-farm-payment-if-i-do-not-hold-payment-entitlements?

Reading between the lines, they decided what was a farm in 2005 and even if you had a shed load of land now if it wasnt a farm in 2005 it can't be a farm now unless you buy it off someone else.

Only for claiming the single farm payment, which is finishing in 2012.

I believe a small holding needs to be in excess of 15 acres

I believe you need to register with defra to obtain an agricultural holding number

i believe the payments cease in 2013

you may not be able to benefit from any wayleaves unless the vendor passes these on tto you.

please do not take the above as gospel but it gives you an idea.

smallholdings are not iht free

farms are not 100% iht free

for the main dwelling to be classified as a farmhouse it must be clear there is an office internally not an "estate office" in another building

hmrc are very savvy to all the tricks, work with them and they will guide you

don't be tempted to rip the vat as offsets - not worth it

don't be tempted by red diesel - not worth it

lock everything up securely as the pikeys will have it in a nanno second

It's all here. http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmmanage/singlepay/

This thread reminds me of a great letter I once read:

Loved that! Surely there was a reply? It's interesting how many people are paid something for nothing these days. Not surprising that the country is now bankrupt.

Well that is not true, my family are farmers and I think they have something in the region of 150 acres (for 100ish dairy cows and maybe 500 sheep). Seriously though the payments are not all that generous for 'normal' farmer (ok I am sure there are alot of landowners who are coining it) but I think you will find that most normal farmers are slowly going bankrupt and the figures for the number leaving the industry are quite shocking.

This is one of my favourite links to show just exactly why we need the subsidies in the first place - the last paragraph is quite an eye opener.

http://www.moneyweek.com/investment-advice/soaring-milk-prices--who-will-benefit.aspx

In my work we come across dairy farms with as few as 50 cows (though we are not told what other enterprises they may have - sheep/beef etc) at that level dairy farming is not financially viable and to be honest I am surprised they are able to find milk buyers who can be bothered to come pick up such a relatively small amount of milk.

I caught sight of one of my dad's bank statements a couple of years ago - I was not aware one could get an overdraft that big....