House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Polish Workers Are Drafted In To Build Navy's New Carriers: Migrants Paid Barely Half The British Rate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317035/Polish-workers-drafted-build-Navys-new-carriers-Migrants-paid-barely-half-British-rate.html

Cut-price Polish workers have been drafted in to help build Britain’s two new multi-billion-pound aircraft carriers, it emerged last night.

Experts said it was the first time a Royal Navy shipbuilding programme has required the mass recruitment of overseas workers.

Some of the Polish welders are paid little more than £8 an hour for the job. This may be above the minimum wage of £5.80, but it is barely half the £15 an hour paid to British tradesmen doing similar work as employees of the main contractor, BAE Systems.

Employers sub-contracted to the job by BAE turned to dozens of Poles because they couldn’t find UK workers with the required skills.

In a great irony, some of the welders learnt their skills working on Soviet submarines during the Cold War, when Poland was behind the Iron Curtain.

Special security passes have been created for the workers because of the difficulty of carrying out full background checks.

And employers have been forced to put up signs in Polish to comply with health and safety rules.

Critics said the move exposed the hollowness of Labour’s pledge to invest in training over more than a decade.

Stephen Alambritis, chief spokesman for the Federation of Small Businesses said: ‘It’s a sad state of affairs when there aren’t enough British welders in the workplace to take advantage of these jobs.

‘This is a reflection of how it is critically important to increase apprenticeships and go back to the system of experienced welders teaching young apprentices.

‘Manufacturing, welding, electrical jobs – these are jobs that have lost a gloss about them but are all good, solid work that can command a solid income.

‘But over the years there has been a reluctance to promote the learning of a trade through apprenticeships.’

So UK workers it would appear are too expensive and don't have the skills to do the work...

Our wonderful knowledge based economy in full effect.

Although the cynic in me is wondering whether we are getting the Poles in as a cost cutting exercise as UK workers need too high wages to be able to live in expensive housing?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317035/Polish-workers-drafted-build-Navys-new-carriers-Migrants-paid-barely-half-British-rate.html

So UK workers it would appear are too expensive and don't have the skills to do the work...

Although the cynic in me is wondering whether we are getting the Poles in as a cost cutting exercise as UK workers need too high wages to be able to live in expensive housing?

There are thousands of ex-welders previously employed by formerly huge shipyards in Belfast, Glasgow and elsewhere. This is about costs and nothing else.

http://www.dailymail...itish-rate.html

We must have lost thousands of skilled welders and the like during the 90s when all the pits, steelworks and other manufacturing activities got shut or outsourced. Blokes who became cabbies, or shelf stackers, long term dolies, retired early, etc. And never passed their skills onto a new generation.

Every pound paid to Polish migrant workers or Chinese exporters is a pound that won't be spent on buying a house in Britain. Cheap goods in shops = the total annihilation of British house prices. It really is that simple.

Thatchers chickens coming home to roost.... :rolleyes:

How is it somone who left power 20 years ago fault?

Thatcher left office in 1990, I started my Engineering Apprenticeship in 1991 and back then and through the early 90s there was alot of engineering jobs in Leeds.

So why since 1997 has engineering all but disapeared from Leeds, WFT did Labour do to encourage engineering and jobs for manual labourers?

Labour have done more in my opinion to kill engineering in this country than the conservatives ever did.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is how Fascism gets popular.

Yes. We need a strong leader to take us out of this mess!

You're suggesting it takes 20 years to learn to weld? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't get in the way of someone's desire to live in the past and blame all the world's at the door of one person..... I should remind you that Thatcher is personally responsible for everything that is wrong in the world just now (well at least according to some people).

Yes. We need a strong leader to take us out of this mess!

The last thing we need a militant and xenophobic asshole who'll turn Britain into a colder, wetter Cuba, but the way the populace has been thrown under a bus to appease the dumb but sinister corporations (who are too lazy to utilize or train homegrown talent) and having a large foreign workforce to scapegoat easily is political violence waiting to happen.

The last thing we need a militant and xenophobic asshole who'll turn Britain into a colder, wetter Cuba, but the way the populace has been thrown under a bus to appease the dumb but sinister corporations (who are too lazy to utilize or train homegrown talent) and having a large foreign workforce to scapegoat easily is political violence waiting to happen.

I worked for a large UK supermarket in their IT department, they refused point blank to give anyone training on new products and systems. Whenever we asked for training we were told to 'buy a book' using our own money. They refused time for anyone to take exams and get qualifications as they were scared of us leaving or demanding more pay. In the last few years they have sent a couple of people on training courses, but with the express instruction that the staff are not allowed to take the exam.

Where did this leave the company? Well they needed to update their systems and found that no one had the skills and couldnt be trained up in the timescales required, so they got 200 chaps from Wipro on ICTs to come and do the work instead.

As a person who has done a lot of welding and still do to earn a living I can assure you there is nothing about welding that could not be taught in a week. Talk about apprenticeships is counterproductive. An apprentice has to work for X years with a welder. It is a stupid encumbrance intended to limit tradesmen, not to supply them. It is closed shop thinking. Surprise, surprise, it is all about money and only money.

I worked for a large UK supermarket in their IT department, they refused point blank to give anyone training on new products and systems. Whenever we asked for training we were told to 'buy a book' using our own money. They refused time for anyone to take exams and get qualifications as they were scared of us leaving or demanding more pay. In the last few years they have sent a couple of people on training courses, but with the express instruction that the staff are not allowed to take the exam.

Where did this leave the company? Well they needed to update their systems and found that no one had the skills and couldnt be trained up in the timescales required, so they got 200 chaps from Wipro on ICTs to come and do the work instead.

Was this large uk supermarket sainsburys ?

Was this large uk supermarket sainsburys ?

So what! It is your responsibility to keep YOUR skillset up to date. I'd happily replace you with an Indian who was more eager to learn off their own back.

So what! It is your responsibility to keep YOUR skillset up to date. I'd happily replace you with an Indian who was more eager to learn off their own back.

You are part of Sainsbury's top management team and I claim my £5 + nectar points

Every pound paid to Polish migrant workers or Chinese exporters is a pound that won't be spent on buying a house in Britain. Cheap goods in shops = the total annihilation of British house prices. It really is that simple.

Yes and it may be even worse. The pounds might be spent by Chinese and Indian companies buying healthy European companies cheaply in the recession.

An Agent has found a potential role for me at an Indian Outsourcer. Only considering it because I will be embedded at the Swiss Client working alongside Europeans, not shuttling to Chennai, (and the money is excellent).

Anyway doing my due diligence I have downloaded their annual report.

Check this out:

Year_____________2009_____2008_____2007______2006____2005

Working capital__1,660,960__1,080,542__901,495__790,888__509,628

Total assets____3,338,240__2,374,560_1,838,306_1,325,981__869,893

(thousands)

So that's $3.3bn transferred from West to East in 5 years by a single offshorer. A cool billion in 2009 alone.

More importantly they have a $1.6bn liquid war chest so are ready and able to swoop in on distressed western companies.

What have we done?

Employers sub-contracted to the job by BAE turned to dozens of Poles because they couldn’t find UK workers with the required skills.

Perhaps what they meant to say is the work is being done by dozens of Poles who had been working in the building trade for the last 5 to 10 years and had been transferred over to ship building because the building sector is in decline since the economic collapse.

In a great irony, some of the welders learnt their skills working on Soviet submarines during the Cold War, when Poland was behind the Iron Curtain.

If "the welders learnt their skills working on Soviet submarines during the Cold War" they must be getting on for their 50s now so how much longer will they be able to continue working as welders.

They'll soon be joining the UK benefit queue.

How is it somone who left power 20 years ago fault?

Thatcher left office in 1990, I started my Engineering Apprenticeship in 1991 and back then and through the early 90s there was alot of engineering jobs in Leeds.

So why since 1997 has engineering all but disapeared from Leeds, WFT did Labour do to encourage engineering and jobs for manual labourers?

Labour have done more in my opinion to kill engineering in this country than the conservatives ever did.

Labour continued Thatchers policies.... the destruction of the UK heavy engineering industry is down to lack of government support a policy Thatcher set in motion and continued by Major and Blair/Brown.

The laughable thing is that Thatcher told us these industries were zombies, that the French and Germans were idiots to continue to support them in their own nations with public funds...

Well where are we now 30 years later? Germans rule the world in advanced heavy engineering and are making cash left right and centre.. The French build more than a 1/3 of the cars on UK roads, have thier own space program and oh yes.. under Thales they are even building "our" carriers for us..

A ******ing joke - the UK is where is it thanks to Thatcher - long may her idiotic soul rot in hell.

Edited by Krackersdave

There are thousands of ex-welders previously employed by formerly huge shipyards in Belfast, Glasgow and elsewhere. This is about costs and nothing else.

Exactly - where does the money trail end up?

Somone's getting excess profits + bonuses for this!

Just imagine all the trained up ex-stasi spies amongst them, reporting secrets like the weakest links in runway/deck armour etc & copying/sending plans/documents back to the Russian Military!

Edited by erranta