House Price Crash Forum

Property In Birmingham, Why City Center Flat Is Cheaper

Kevin

HOLA441

Hi,

I am thinking to buy a property in Birmingham for investment purpose. I am living in London and don't know much about Birmingham.

What I found is that the city centre properties are generally cheaper than some other areas about Birmingham, like Edgbaston. New flats (two-bed) are generally asked for £120K - £150K. However, new properties in Edgbaston or Aston are somewhere around £180K.

Can someone let me know where is the best area in Birmingham?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Kevin

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hi,

I am thinking to buy a property in Birmingham for investment purpose. I am living in London and don't know much about Birmingham.

What I found is that the city centre properties are generally cheaper than some other areas about Birmingham, like Edgbaston. New flats (two-bed) are generally asked for £120K - £150K. However, new properties in Edgbaston or Aston are somewhere around £180K.

Can someone let me know where is the best area in Birmingham?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Kevin

Don't do it!

There are loads of city center "investment" flats currently unoccupied.

The best bits of Birmingham are generally about 50 miles away. :D

HOLA444

the reason city centre prices are cheaper (and you'll find that 120k is at the bottom of the top end where st pauls and the mailbox are the prime spots) and you can find resales for around the 90k for 2b, 2b) is that there are far, far too many of them around and few with parking allocation... if it weren't for BTLers taking up some of the slack, and, as has already been said are plenty unoccupied, they'd be even cheaper. most of the unis are either in perry barr (not desirable but cheap) or edgbaston/harborne, the latter being the most desirable area in brum). and students just don't want to live in the centre... and there just aren't that many young professionals in the city to create the shortage that would prop up the prices... the price of new builds in birmingham haven't increased much for the best part of a decade. still want to buy?

HOLA445

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, which avoids another financial disaster happens on me :(

Can you point me to the areas in Birmingham that worths investing apart from Edgbaston/Harborne?

Some one told me Sutton Coldfield is a good area in Birmingham.

Regards

Kevin

HOLA446

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply, which avoids another financial disaster happens on me :(

Can you point me to the areas in Birmingham that worths investing apart from Edgbaston/Harborne?

Some one told me Sutton Coldfield is a good area in Birmingham.

Regards

Kevin

Sutton coldfeild,Edgbaston,Harborne,Solihull,Little Aston(dont confuse with Aston, it isn't the same) are the best areas.

Many other areas which have their pockets of nice also.

You looking at buy to let, cash or mortgage, just curious?

HOLA447

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. I now have a rough idea about the area.

I work in London but cannot really afford a property in London and I don't want to trap myself in a big mortgage. I won't be here in London for long and don't really want to compete with bankers.

I can probably afford to cash-buy 2 bed property in Birmingham. Thinking to buy one to let and probably my future home.

HOLA448
HOLA449