House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Thuggish Driving Habits

Driving home from work, leaving at around 7.30pm this evening I was forced to stop on the eastbound slip road onto the A64M at Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, because a stream of traffic on the nearside lane simply wouldn't move over to the offside one to let me in. The traffic was relatively light at the time (i.e. they could have moved over) and visibility was good. Then a few miles down the road, on an unlit, single carriageway section of the same road, a succession of oncoming drivers left their headlights on full beam as they approached me. On one or two occasions I flashed briefly at them, just in case they'd forgotten, but they left their lights on full.

I've noticed both tendencies creeping up over the last few years, but this is the first time I've ever had to come to a complete halt on a motorway slip road because the traffic simply refused to let me in, and the first time I've been passed by four or five drivers in one ten-minute period who refused to dip their lights for oncoming traffic. What's going on? Have the yobs worked out that there are virtually no traffic police anymore and that just as long as they don't get flashed by a speed camera, they're safe? Has the driving test got easier and you don't need to look at The Highway Code anymore?

Its the me, me, me culture. These people just don't give a shit, or dont have the mental capacity, to understand how their actions effect others. I live in a fairly busy street and two idiots boxed my car in yesterday, less than a foot at the front and back and there was just no way i could get it out. Worse still they didnt move their cars away for about another 7 hours.

As im on a rant i might aswell also say i have noticed a worrying trend in pedestrians crossing the road. It used to be if a pedestrian was walking across the road and a car was coming they would either get a hurry on and get out of the way or at least wave to apolgize for forcing the driver to slow down. Nowadays people (especially teenagers) just saunter out into road expecting cars to slow down for them. No effort to hurry along and no apology if you are forced to brake, just a sneering look of derision.

Driving home from work, leaving at around 7.30pm this evening I was forced to stop on the eastbound slip road onto the A64M at Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, because a stream of traffic on the nearside lane simply wouldn't move over to the offside one to let me in. The traffic was relatively light at the time (i.e. they could have moved over) and visibility was good. Then a few miles down the road, on an unlit, single carriageway section of the same road, a succession of oncoming drivers left their headlights on full beam as they approached me. On one or two occasions I flashed briefly at them, just in case they'd forgotten, but they left their lights on full.

I've noticed both tendencies creeping up over the last few years, but this is the first time I've ever had to come to a complete halt on a motorway slip road because the traffic simply refused to let me in, and the first time I've been passed by four or five drivers in one ten-minute period who refused to dip their lights for oncoming traffic. What's going on? Have the yobs worked out that there are virtually no traffic police anymore and that just as long as they don't get flashed by a speed camera, they're safe? Has the driving test got easier and you don't need to look at The Highway Code anymore?

Some years ago, some idiot wouldn't let me join the M25. It was really busy and I and other cars were merging in from the slip road at walking pace. Mr boy racer decided not to let me in, lots of engine revving and riding the clutch :rolleyes:. I wound down my window and asked politely if he would please let me join the motorway and was met with a snarl, raised finger and a mouthful of abuse, so I reached out and tore off his wing mirror, it just dangled there from the wires, you should have seen his face :lol:, he leapt out of the car to inspect the damage, I drove off laughing, he was holding up the traffic, horns were blasting, he was jumping up and down, I think he learnt a lesson that day.

http://www.ukmotoris...s=Motorways#900

"233. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

• give priority to traffic already on the motorway "

244. You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police, an emergency sign or by flashing red light signals.

In this case, the other drivers caused an emergency (in forcing me to stop) by failing to make room for me to join the road when it was perfectly possible for them to have done so. This wasn't a rush hour and the road wasn't crowded. Whenever I'm driving on a motorway or dual carriageway I always look ahead to entry slip roads and move over a lane if there is joining traffic on my left and it is safe to do so. So, until relatively recently, did the vast majority of drivers.

As im on a rant i might aswell also say i have noticed a worrying trend in pedestrians crossing the road. It used to be if a pedestrian was walking across the road and a car was coming they would either get a hurry on and get out of the way or at least wave to apolgize for forcing the driver to slow down. Nowadays people (especially teenagers) just saunter out into road expecting cars to slow down for them. No effort to hurry along and no apology if you are forced to brake, just a sneering look of derision.

I think this might be a fairly natural reaction to increasing traffic volumes. When there were fewer cars on the road, you would be concious of holding them up / making them slow down. Now there is so much traffic, in many towns it's oppressive and you feel little guilt about causing the odd motorist to slow down, it's either that or wait 15mins for a suitable gap in the traffic.

Incidentally, the Highway Code says that pedestrians have right of way if they have started to cross:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332

so I reached out and tore off his wing mirror, it just dangled there from the wires, you should have seen his face, he leapt out of the car to inspect the damage, I drove off laughing, he was holding up the traffic, horns were blasting, he was jumping up and down, I think he learnt a lesson that day.

Of course he did it probably wasn`t his bloody car. :D

In a similar vein I'll be having to go to court soon becuase a coach loaded with passengers forced his way into the motorway lane I was travelling in, forcing me to taking avoiding action to prevent a major accident just like most HGV's and other large vehicles do, so the police have referred it to the CPS for prosecution and I'm just waiting for a court date now, so I know there are knobbish drivers around even so called professional drivers!

How the heck did you manage to get the police interested in this? Normally they don't give a rats.

[/size][/font]

In this case, the other drivers caused an emergency (in forcing me to stop) by failing to make room for me to join the road when it was perfectly possible for them to have done so. This wasn't a rush hour and the road wasn't crowded. Whenever I'm driving on a motorway or dual carriageway I always look ahead to entry slip roads and move over a lane if there is joining traffic on my left and it is safe to do so. So, until relatively recently, did the vast majority of drivers.

No mate. If the traffic was "relatively light" then it was your pizz poor driving that prevented you from gauging your speed correctly on the slip road and fitting into an opening on the motorway.

Drivers on the motorway are already doing 70mph and are under no obligation to feck around and let poor drivers in. It is your responsibility.

There's some p1ss poor drivers on the thread, don't think you're one of them though - can't even be ar5ed to give them the benefit of a 'no disrespect' prefix cliche.

It's a give way, so it's up to you to wait for a gap. Yes, there are inconsiderate a-holes but if you have to come to a stop on the slip road, so be it.

The one that really gets to me is in a similar situation when the car behind you on the slip road pulls out into the gap before you and then refuses to let you in as the "gap" passes you - it happens all the time here in Singers. That really bakes my noodle and I'll force my way in in that situation, often provoking fury in the car behind. The car in front has right of way, no?

As to the high beam headlights, were they all coming up a hill towards you? The new head lamps are also very dazzling even on dipped (unless they've fixed that now).

With regards to getting on the motorway, you're the one that has to giveway as already mentioned, that said if the traffic is light and all and they can move over then there is no harm in that!

My pet hates are :

- Tail gaters

- People who refuse to move out of the middle lane

- people who have their foglights when it's not foggy.

I used to let people out all the time but my commute is down a busy single lane road where it's just too much of a pain in the ****. The chances are they'd only decide to pull out after flashed them 3 times to go and then they'll take an age to accelerate and end up doing a flat 40mph in a 60 zone :angry:

There's some p1ss poor drivers on the thread, don't think you're one of them though -

I can only agree with the first half of that.

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway

check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

One of the young guys at work was in a similar situation to the op, no one would move and make a big enough gap for his inexperienced self to join the motorway so he just pulled onto the motorway anyway. The HGV behind him had to slam on its breaks and very nearly jackknifed by all accounts. He believed that it was the wagon drivers fault for not slowing down. The court disagreed.

Un-gentlemanly behaviour!

I always wave at fellow automobile drivers. It might be the only other one I see all day! :huh:

Un-gentlemanly behaviour!

I always wave at fellow automobile drivers. It might be the only other one I see all day! :huh:

That's always a good wind-up. It leaves people puzzling away, thinking "I must know them, who is it?".

On the continent like in Paris they tend to leave their cars in gear with the handbrake off so you can push cars with your own car to make space to get out, in some respects thats what bumpers are for and thats no different to what I'd have tried, ie nudging the cars forwards or backwards so I can get out. I've done it in Norwich when visiting friends in the Golden Triangle (notorious for tight parking) to get out.

I was tempted to do this but i didnt think it was worth it as i didnt really need my car that day. People are so precious about their cars and i couldnt be arsed with the hassle of car alarms going off, people screaming about scratches to their bumpers and wanting to get insurance involved. Unfortunately, living on a busy street, i have seen the above bumper-hissy fit situation a few times.

I was tempted to do this but i didnt think it was worth it as i didnt really need my car that day. People are so precious about their cars and i couldnt be arsed with the hassle of car alarms going off, people screaming about scratches to their bumpers and wanting to get insurance involved. Unfortunately, living on a busy street, i have seen the above bumper-hissy fit situation a few times.

Back in the day, when I was doing materials science at uni, we did a module on plastics in automotive design - e.g. bumpers. They are designed to suffer no damage at impacts of <5 mph I believe - just deform and then spring back into shape. Not sure about cosmetic damage like scratches though.

OTOH I managed to reverse my ford into a concrete bollard (and maybe 15mph) that crumpled up the honeycombe inside the rear bumper, and the damage cost over £350 to fix on the insurance! Those colour coded wrap around bumpers that incorporate the lights etc. cost a bomb.

Back to the OP - yes the folk on the m-way were within their legal rights to be bloody minded and refuse to move over or hang back, but when I'm in a similar situation on the m-way I try and accommodate the guy trying to merge with the traffic. It's simple courtesy that cuts the risk of an accident down greatly (plus you'd hope to have the favour returned when you're trying to get onto the m-way)....

If you approach the motorway at a similar speed to the moving traffic you can slow down or speed up to fit into a gap, which is very easy to do in light traffic. Sounds like it was just poor driving by the OP.

You can't seriously expect people already on a motorway to start making mass preperations just to let you on. They're already on and it's down to you to join safely.

I dont see why not.

If Im driving on a motorway in light traffic, in the inside lane and, approaching a slip onto the motorway, I see other cars coming down the slipway to join the motorway, Ill move out to the middle lane to allow them free access to the road.

The letter of the law might say I dont have to but its a courtesy that I think is worth showing (Im from the old school, you see). Similarly, if Im in a line of slow moving traffic on a normal road and someeone wants to turn in, Ill let them in, as long as a check in my mirror shows that Im not the last car in the line, as then there would be no point.

This is the sort of thing thats taught to advance drivers and HGV drivers so I would expect it to be a bit beyond most road users.

The letter of the law might say I dont have to but its a courtesy that I think is worth showing (Im from the old school, you see). Similarly, if Im in a line of slow moving traffic on a normal road and someeone wants to turn in, Ill let them in, as long as a check in my mirror shows that Im not the last car in the line, as then there would be no point.

It's courtesy, but you shouldn't expect it. It IS the responsibility of the person joining the dual carriageway / motorway / etc to merge in with traffic. If they can't do that they need to slow down and possibly even stop until it is safe to join.

I often see people firing themselves out from a slip road into fairly dense traffic causing people already on the road to take evasive action. Making someone else slow down, speed up or change lanes in such circumstances would cause you to fail your driving test.

I often see people firing themselves out from a slip road into fairly dense traffic causing people already on the road to take evasive action. Making someone else slow down, speed up or change lanes in such circumstances would cause you to fail your driving test.

This is just another example of the 'thuggish' driving that the OP was complaining about. It's the making people change speed/lanes that's the operative word. You deserve to fail your test for that. Johnny Cash was talking about driving of a standard higher than merely the current driving test.

This is just another example of the 'thuggish' driving that the OP was complaining about. It's the making people change speed/lanes that's the operative word. You deserve to fail your test for that. Johnny Cash was talking about driving of a standard higher than merely the current driving test.

What if you can't change lanes to accommodate the person merging from the slip-road? More than once I've been tooted because I didn't move out to make space for someone travelling up a slip road who was unable to slow down / speed up to merge. Why didn't I move across to lane 2? Because there was somebody in it, approaching at a high speed and if I moved out, they would need to brake.

It's very, very simple. The person joining the road is the one that should be adjusting their speed and position, NOT the person already travelling on the road. No ifs, no buts.

I find a closely and accurately executed passing action accompanied by the long press of the horn button normally wakes these morons up :rolleyes:

Maybe Darwinism will soon remove these thickos from the foodchain as they slowly get run over and are unable to reproduce.

- Tail gaters

- People who refuse to move out of the middle lane

- people who have their foglights when it's not foggy.

I hate that too, I thought it was just me. There really are some k*obs about who are obviously incapable of seeing where they are going without dazzling everyone else or just incapable of being able to use their headlights properly.

I experienced a new variety on the middle lane road hog the other day - on a dual carriageway. Some pillock was doing a steady 65 in the outside lane. It was relatively quiet on the duel carriageway so there really was no need for it.

Everyone was undertaking him, we reluctantly had to do the same - I always think that is really dodgy (and illegal) as if the plonker had pulled across to the left again I assume we would have got the blame.

If I had been driving he probably would have got a good bit of horn/lights/gestures and minor tail gating until he got the hint.