House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

Average Cost Of Mortgages.

SkyNews: MORTGAGE COSTS RISE The average cost of servicing a mortgage rose slightly during August despite the interest rate cut. People in England and Wales spent an average of £512 on mortgage repayments during the month, £10 more than they spent in July, according to the Woolwich.

This is an average.

This includes people spanning the average 25 years of mortages.

People taking out mortages a decade ago..

Lower house prices and inflation would have knocked "older" loans down in cost..

Don't forget a lot of people are paying of mortages 20 years old for houses that cost £30,000..

what are the average costs of a mortages to FTB's in the last four years?

It must be massive.

They'll have gone up because of fixed rates set up when interest rates were at their lowest ever coming to an end I imagine. Scottish mortgages aren't included, and will be less because of our lower priced properties. £512 is quoted as 18.4% of average disposable household income so obviously a lot of households have a very high income in England. I pay a higher proportion, but a much lower total

SkyNews: MORTGAGE COSTS RISE The average cost of servicing a mortgage rose slightly during August despite the interest rate cut. People in England and Wales spent an average of £512 on mortgage repayments during the month, £10 more than they spent in July, according to the Woolwich.

This is an average.

This includes people spanning the average 25 years of mortages.

People taking out mortages a decade ago..

Lower house prices and inflation would have knocked "older" loans down in cost..

Don't forget a lot of people are paying of mortages 20 years old for houses that cost £30,000..

what are the average costs of a mortages to FTB's in the last four years?

It must be massive.

I've often wondered what the average mortgage of the twenty/thirty somethings was. A friend of ours disclosed they were taking on a 200k mortgage to buy their "dream house" earlier this year. Apparently this was a "normal" amount amongst other homeowners she knew ? :blink:

strewth !!

I've often wondered what the average mortgage of the twenty/thirty somethings was. A friend of ours disclosed they were taking on a 200k mortgage to buy their "dream house" earlier this year. Apparently this was a "normal" amount  amongst other homeowners she knew ? :blink:

strewth !!

crikey - they must have the pay to go with it I suppose. I can barely afford a mortgage of under £70 thousand, but that is what I get for being single and working in the public sector. I couldn't sleep with that sort of debt though.

Surprisingly, the mortgage cost to income ratio for FTB and OO buyers is very similar, with FTBs having a slight edge. Both are simply borrowing up to their acceptable (almost fixed) fraction of income; on other words the low post-1992 interest rates are converted into higher prices at nearly constant repayment/earning ratio. In fact, the stretching of this ratio at a peak is actually a good bubble indicator. [data from ODPM website]

Graph taken from elsewhere:

odpm_afford.gif

post-2887-1126181444_thumb.jpg

Edited by spline

figures I have seen indicate that the average percentage of take home money taken up by mortage repayment is at 32%

thats higher then the FTB on that chart..

No wonder none of us knows where we stand....

Lies, damn lies and statistics...

Truth is its £580 ish for interest only against an £140,000 mortgage..

and average houseprices have been way above that for years..

figures I have seen indicate that the average percentage of take home money taken up by mortage repayment is at 32%

thats higher then the FTB on that chart..

No wonder none of us knows where we stand....

Lies, damn lies and statistics...

Truth is its £580 ish for interest only against an £140,000 mortgage..

and average houseprices have been way above that for years..

Few people have 100% mortgages, so the average mortgage will never be the same as the average houseprice.