House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Funerals

In years past you would be lucky to see a horse drawn hearse at a funeral once a year in your area.

Of late in my area I am now seeing 2 a week.

Are these the stinking rich Baby Boomers spending their ill gotten gains during their life and given themselves a good send off? :unsure:

In years past you would be lucky to see a horse drawn hearse at a funeral once a year in your area.

Are these the stinking rich Baby Boomers spending their ill gotten gains during their life and given themselves a good send off? :unsure:

Perhaps it's a sign your time on earth is nearly over. How I shall miss your wisdom.

Are there a lot of gangsters where you live?

Perhaps it's a sign your time on earth is nearly over. How I shall miss your wisdom.

My Father in Law drew his pension for 26 years and I plan to do the same. :P

No, just a large very rich population. :)

Most undertakers would tell you that its the lower classes with a bit of money who tend to do in for the OTT "display" funerals (the black horsedrawn hearses, huge convoy of limousines etc).

The same trend appears with weddings, style of dress, all sorts of things.

Further down the social heap, people feel more of a need for ostentatious displays of what wealth they have, but also think that if you don't "show it", you don't feel it. So, if they don't have a big funeral for "nan" that stops the traffic in their area, and that the whole town can see, then people will think that they didn't care about their nan.....

I fear it's a combination of the increasing emotional incontinence that's occurred up since Di died, and Beckamseque footballer bling.

During a recent trip to Glasgow, whilst observing a funeral procession, it struck me I could be witnessing the impending burial of a notorious Gangster, as the floral wreaths surrounding the coffin, spelled:

'BIG MAN'

'QUALITY'

and

'DEAD'

:lol:

During a recent trip to Glasgow, whilst observing a funeral procession, it struck me I could be witnessing the impending burial of a notorious Gangster, as the floral wreaths surrounding the coffin, spelled:

'BIG MAN'

'QUALITY'

and

'DEAD'

:lol:

It turned out to be the late Bishop of Glasgow....

That or diddys. The massive 'Dad' type floral arrangements get my goat for some reason. He knows who he is, the attendees do, why the need for some nasty flower arrangements.

That or diddys. The massive 'Dad' type floral arrangements get my goat for some reason. He knows who he is, the attendees do, why the need for some nasty flower arrangements.

The biggest horse drawn funeral passed by in my area 6 months ago.

White horse drawn Hearse pulled by two white horses with pink ribbons followed by three stretched white limousines with pink ribbons attached to the door handles.

Following behind was a motorised black hearse flooded with flowers and 50 private cars with sunction flags on the roof saying Funeral.

I could not work out who the deceased could have been. :unsure:

I heard of a funeral where there was mix-up in the floral tributes arrangements.

The elderly female deceased, a life-long teetotaler and servant of the church, went down the main aisle of the church with a floral dartboard and a pint of bitter on the top of her coffin.

I heard of a funeral where there was mix-up in the floral tributes arrangements.

The elderly female deceased, a life-long teetotaler and servant of the church, went down the main aisle of the church with a floral dartboard and a pint of bitter on the top of her coffin.

:lol::lol::lol:

Most undertakers would tell you that its the lower classes with a bit of money who tend to do in for the OTT "display" funerals (the black horsedrawn hearses, huge convoy of limousines etc).

The same trend appears with weddings, style of dress, all sorts of things.

Further down the social heap, people feel more of a need for ostentatious displays of what wealth they have, but also think that if you don't "show it", you don't feel it. So, if they don't have a big funeral for "nan" that stops the traffic in their area, and that the whole town can see, then people will think that they didn't care about their nan.....

This sounds like a similar phenomena to what I term 'theatrical parenting'

When the child is misbehaving in a shop or public place. The telling off takes the form of a performance in which nearby shoppers involuntarily become audience members forced to witness the wonders of the mother, of the ill-behaved child's, parenting skills.

I fear it's a combination of the increasing emotional incontinence that's occurred up since Di died, and Beckamseque footballer bling.

I would agree normally but in the case of funerals this has a long historic precedent. The 'good send off' has been a working-class duty for centuries, in order to make it clear you did not require a pauper's burial. The horse drawn carriage thing has only happened in recent years though - I suspect this is because up until the 1970s the working classes viewed anything horse drawn as a sign of poverty. I believe the first undertaker to bring back horse drawn hearses used an old carriage they bought from Hammer Films!