House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
timetomove

Working In Salford, Where To Live?

Hello

We shall be moving up north next year and as a person who has only been there twice, I am getting myself in a tizz over where to live.

We are country bumpkins. We do not want to live in Manchester or any built up town.

Husband has got his heart set on Tideswell/Litton area. Does anybody know anything about this area? Is this commute unrealistic?

Other options I have researched are Diggle/Saddleworth.

Is Garstang/Clitheroe doable?

We have a delightful little car, if we live out in the sticks would we need something a bit more 'manly' with a bit more roar?

Any nice Cheshire towns which are not too (humm trying to think of a word without upsetting anyone) posh, beyond our price range....

Thanks for any advice and help.

The moors are a bleak place in winter and the Peak District is a bit of a commute. Salford is on the other side of Manchester to both Diggle and Tideswell. You'd be wise to allow an hour to hour and half commute to Salford from either one. Garstang is a bit far north and again the commute will be one hour plus.

If you want a short commute take a look at Worsley.

If you want countryside take a look at the South Ribble valley, it's closer than Garstang or Derbyshire.

It will be wet so pack your mac.

Only curious but is this a compulsory BBC move?

Been through all this myself (with forced company moves) and I often wondered if it would have been better to have just taken the money and run rather than end up in a place you hate and/or have no family ties/friends. Especially tricky moving north from down sarf because, potentially, you may eventually be priced out of the return trip (north/south divide and all that).

I live in a Ribble Valley village myself and, fortunately, commute to east Manchester (M66) which is not too bad at the time I have to travel (I loath commuting).

If I was considering work in Salford my single biggest bugbear would be any morning commute involving a southerly journey down the M61 and getting on the M60 (around Worsley) during morning rush hour. This junction was horrendous 25 years ago and has got progressively worse since. The only way to mitigate the hassle is to get to the junction before 06.45. Obviously this will not be such an issue for shift/flexi-workers.

Otherwise some lovely little places to live in the Ribble Valley.

Practically, I would suggest doing some "dummy runs" at the appropriate times to test the situation out.

Edited by Bootsox

Only curious but is this a compulsory BBC move?

Hmm...they're doing all they can to redeploy people, but if that fails then there's about a year before the move proper occurs.

It's really difficult to decide what to do! I'm scared, as you say, about being priced out of a move back south - but I know that for the price of a fairly ordinary house in a not-exactly-salubrious area of London (which would be where I'd move next if I stayed) I can get a proper dream home, in a nice area even, and a shorter commute to work. Oh God I always wanted to live in London though! But it's only about two hours away from Manchester, if I want to go there...

It's really difficult to decide what to do! I'm scared, as you say, about being priced out of a move back south - but I know that for the price of a fairly ordinary house in a not-exactly-salubrious area of London (which would be where I'd move next if I stayed) I can get a proper dream home, in a nice area even, and a shorter commute to work. Oh God I always wanted to live in London though! But it's only about two hours away from Manchester, if I want to go there...

So why even contemplate buying? It's more than likely, IMHO, that house prices in both locations (Manchester and London) are likely to fall more sharply in the next couple of years, so why not simply rent? Make the move, try it out, and if it's not for you simply move back to London. I've bounced around work-wise both locations for the last 30 years.

Another point I'd mention is that of salary. If your salary isn't going to be much different up-North from down-South, then you aren't being "priced out" of anything. You simply have to accept that if you do move back to London, it will have to be to a smaller place. In my case, the salary differential for my current line of work is simply staggering (3-4 times higher in London), hence the move back to Manchester full-time is out of the question for now. But that may not be the case for you? There's lots more to think about than simply "dream homes" with these types of moves. :)

Nomadd

Well for sure, unless you like crack dens, being beaten up or mugged, you probably don't want to live in/around Salford itself.

Only a suggestion but an area that tends to get overlooked for commuting is just North of Bolton. Places like Belmont, Egerton, Edgeworth, Turton Bottoms, Bromley Cross and Hall i' th' Wood. I mention the latter two because they are on a handy rail line which runs into Salford/Manchester. The other places would involve a 16/19m semi-urban commute (and the possibility of avoiding my dreaded M61/M60 junction).

The above villages lie in, or on the edge of, the West Pennine Moors and I know Belmont is relatively handy for picking up the M65/j3 and hence all points North and West.

Tockholes is probably do-able but maybe getting a bit too far out (for a commuting loather like myself).

How are you planning to commute in to Salford? If it's by rail then you might be able to live on the edge of the peaks on the train line, get the train to Piccadilly, then tram it to Salford. Somewhere like Glossop? I can't vouch for how reliable or busy this is though - probably very busy I would have thought.

You don't say how 'country' you are. Do you mean proper country, with farms and miles away from the nearest town or just a nice town away from the suburbs?

If I were you I would seriously consider renting for 6-12 months. You want to have flexibility to move if you're not happy and even if prices don't drop, I don't think they are going to shoot up either. I would have thought you can then swap stories with all the other people who have moved up north and get a better idea of which areas you'll be happy with.

A lot of the bigger towns are fine if you live on the edges and you're never far from hills etc., unlike the awful commuter belt around London. Maybe your priorities will change once you've been up there for a bit.

Although the idea of Salford conjures up grotty tower blocks and terraces, a third of the borough is actually open farmland. There are still decent areas, eg Worsley which is actually quite wooded around the canal basin area.

If this is for the BBC and media city, there is the tram line which gives you a few options over driving, though all stops are built up, and either posh or grotty.

Try Astley Green, which is a bit to the west down the A580. Thats in countryside with a canal and quite cheap, and the A580 makes it an easy journey to Salford Quays.

Other options I have researched are Diggle/Saddleworth.

Is Garstang/Clitheroe doable?

We have a delightful little car, if we live out in the sticks would we need something a bit more 'manly' with a bit more roar?

Any nice Cheshire towns which are not too (humm trying to think of a word without upsetting anyone) posh, beyond our price range....

Thanks for any advice and help.

Garstang/Clitheroe are only do-able if you set off earlier enough (the latter is not a good winter commute proposition) but then I have known people live in along the lower M6 corridor in Cumbria and commute. If you like long commutes and money spent on travelling isn't a problem then try Kendal (direct train link to Manchester).

The M60 is a car park in the morning going anti clockwise so Diggle (is probably out), if your coming down the M61 then that too gets stacked up to Bolton quite early on.

Avoid Wigan and Leigh the whole area is a gridlocked nightmare at rush hour (also consider the former East Lancs coalfield and mine blight (most new estates in area are built next to regen sites)

Avoid Metropolitan Areas of Greater Manchester altogether, hoody gang drug infested even towns like Bolton, Bury, Wigan, Leigh, Oldham and so on, its grim. The tram at rush hour is very crowded and pricey (shame it can't be like Sheffields or Nottinghams).

Have a look at the rural areas around Chorley (villages on the Leeds Liverpool canal ;) )

Don't bother looking at Lancaster (incl Morecambe especially Heaton with Oxcliffe).

Check out Hollins Green / Rixton. Warrington post code but in Cheshire and no more than 20 minutes commute to Salford.10 minutes to Warrington. Five minutes to M6. Five minutes to East Lancs the other way. 20 minutes to the airport and the Trafford Centre. However its all very countrified. Some of the best bird spotting in the country is here (my neighbour is a falconer) and he reckons that the peat bogs keep the birds of prey well fed because of all the food that they can catch.

Last year a deer ran past my back kitchen window. My eyes nearly popped out of my head. Fair do's it wasn't in the emporers league but it was a deer. And a quick one.

Not sure about schools. There is a new secondary school being built in Cadishead/Irlam and a new secondary just being finished in Culcheth. Don't know if Lymm accepts pupils from over the Ship Canal.

Glazebrook station goes into Manchester Victoria and Liverpool the other way.

And the prices aren't mad either. Bargain to be had on Claydon Gardens in Rixton http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27068680.html

And no its not mine. I'm waiting for the WBC moratorium on planning permission in the area to be lifted in 2016. My garden to be precise. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Nodderdog