House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris25

Bought An Ipad

I have a thing with the Ipad.

Hated it at first, then came round to the idea after I sold my crap netbook.

There is no doubt it is beautiful and a delight to use (when it works).

But when it works is rather limited.

First of all Youtube doesnt work; it takes about 10 minutes to buffer some videos.

Then when you try to connect a camera it won't read any type of video unless it is created on an Apple device.

The image gallery is horrendous. You cannot create folders, it justs throws all your images in to one gallery in no particular order.

The lack of flash is ridiculous. It is amazing how much of the internet is actually flash.

The most annoying thing of all is, if you want anything done you have to go through Itunes. Itunes freezes all the time and is undoubtedly the worst piece of software ever.

There is no file management software.

It weights a ton.

You cannot drag and drop files from memory cards.

All in all. I am not happy. worst of all it seems that ipad was created just as a money milking machine even after you buy it, as everything has to go through itunes or app store and has to be in the exact apple formats otherwise it won;t load.

Just a recommendation people, don't buy one. I will be putting mine on ebay tonight.

Apple were so right with the Ipod, but the Ipad is a joke.

Take a look at iFiles.

Also DiskAid which is free.

I'm afraid I haven't tried either of these myself.

Apple is utter gash

Yes the Ipod is fantastic - but for a long period of time they had that on lock down as well... ie, only use Ipod files with it..It was only when they opened up the software when i decided to buy one..

Everything else Apple have done is expensive and crap...

look at the Iphone compared to HTC Desire...Desire can do shed loads more, better and it's a free f**king phone and £25 a month..

You can get a 10 inch iPad copy running android for about £125 on ebay.

Quite tempted to get it for something to play with. Wouldn't think of buying an iPad, they are stupidly expensive.

I have a thing with the Ipad.

Hated it at first, then came round to the idea after I sold my crap netbook.

There is no doubt it is beautiful and a delight to use (when it works).

But when it works is rather limited.

First of all Youtube doesnt work; it takes about 10 minutes to buffer some videos.

Then when you try to connect a camera it won't read any type of video unless it is created on an Apple device.

The image gallery is horrendous. You cannot create folders, it justs throws all your images in to one gallery in no particular order.

The lack of flash is ridiculous. It is amazing how much of the internet is actually flash.

The most annoying thing of all is, if you want anything done you have to go through Itunes. Itunes freezes all the time and is undoubtedly the worst piece of software ever.

It weights a ton.

All in all. I am not happy. worst of all it seems that ipad was created just as a money milking machine even after you buy it, as everything has to go through itunes or app store and has to be in the exact apple formats otherwise it won;t load.

Just a recommendation people, don't buy one. I will be putting mine on ebay tonight.

Apple were so right with the Ipod, but the Ipad is a joke.

If you bought it online/mail order and haven't had it long then send it back under the distance selling regs.

If you bought it online/mail order and haven't had it long then send it back under the distance selling regs.

Thanks for that tip.

Just found a returns section on Apple's website.

Goodbye Ipad.

I suppose the thing I'm really trying to say is the Ipad is one of those things which, I'm sure, will one day be great. But only when battery life lasts several days between charges, speed on down loads (I am assuming you can get internet on it), is the same speed as a desk top and thirdly the technology has improved some what.

Battery aside I think the technology is there, it's Apple's software that's the killer (plus it fails on the "What's the point?" criteria for me). It appears that they've designed it to not be a phone and not be a laptop but to have the downsides of both.

Apple, for me, is Mac OS X. It´s the world´s best OS, no contest, just as its neXtstep ancestor was in the 90s.

Apple could have really gone after the UNIX market, bought Sun or something, but they´d have had no guarantee of any returns in that market. The Xserve was innovative but without a big Apple presence in the server market, why would it sell over the more established options?

Jobs really wanted neXstep to be the computer for the rest of us, what the Mac should have become, but it languished as a high-end niche product that Berniers-Lee used to create the web. Jobs always wanted the consumer. The iMac was a big hit and secured the Mac platform but it didn't dominate the consumer space quite like Jobs dreamed.

The iPod was just a sideline and was only compatible with the Mac to start with. It wasn´t orginal - just smaller, slicker and a consumer product rather than a computer addon for spods. I don't think Jobs knew it would take off quite like it did or that 1001 'iPod killers' from names like Sony and Microsoft would get nowhere near it. I don't think there was a masterplan for a music store from the outset.

Remember that while Jobs is now seen as a 'hit maker' Apple came out with some stuff that was misguided or just complete crap on his watch - the G4 Cube was beautiful but cost more than the PowerMac for less spec and served no purpose other than looking pretty. The 'bog seat' iBook was a horrible joke. Jobs really hated the idea of going Intel - simply because it would removed a key point of difference - and spent far too long trying to eek faster PowerPC chips out of IBM when PCs were getting faster every few months.

With the iPod and iPhone Jobs was finally a consumer player. Most Mac users don't actually like this. They think the Mac will become too small on the balance sheet and iOS will take priority or they get paranoid when Apple doesn't give enough 'love' to its professional software lines. Professional users think the Mac lineup is too restrictive on choice.

The iPad is a flop that has sold gazillions. It's a big surface to run smartphone apps on. A netbook does so much more. Flash sucks but loads of the net is Flash. It makes no sense. It's sold gazillions. I dunno.

A question though Chris.

Why?

Why buy one, really seriously.

I recently up graded to one of these smart phones, it works well, I have to say, but then again am I really going to sit all day on the internet on my phone? I would suggest not for several reasons. Firstly the download speeds are poor, secondly, the screen is small, thirdly you get a better experience at home on a desk top and fourthly the thing needs recharging every night!

I suppose the thing I'm really trying to say is the Ipad is one of those things which, I'm sure, will one day be great. But only when battery life lasts several days between charges, speed on down loads (I am assuming you can get internet on it), is the same speed as a desk top and thirdly the technology has improved some what.

I bought it for going on the internet and for uploading photos from my camera.

Netbooks are miserable to use and the ipad is a blessing but serious compatibility issues unfortunately render the product useless.

For instance just uploading a video is a complete and utter nightmare. I have to convert it into an apple format (which takes ages) then somehow sync it through itunes and then in the process it might decide to delete all my files on there, or even sync every single file on itunes to the ipad.

Why can't it just attach to the computer as a removable drive, and then I simply just drag and drop my files?

The logic of it is insane.

Other things that are annoying is like when you attach an SD card to it using the camera kit, you cannot view the file as it is without importing it. I suppose this is so people don't buy the cheap 16GB version and shove an SD card in it to up the memory.

Ipad...schmipad

Got an ipod shuffle for the dragon a while back. I was astounded that you couldn`t just drag and drop music files to it as if it`s an external memory device. The Itunes software that you have to use is a pile of over blown , over complicated pointless sh1te.

Apple will get no more of my money.

As an aside, when I was thinking of getting a machine to do some home recording (multitracking ) on, I actually considered, for about a nanosecond, an Apple, but have since found that in reality a half decent PC running Reaper works great.

I thought they were about £300 for the top model

Apple iPad Tablet (WiFi, 16 GB) Apple £429.00

Apple iPad 3G + WiFi 64GB Apple £699.00 , Amazon or Ebay 2nd hand £850.00 (+ £9.50 delivery)

How do people have so much money to spend?

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?afid=p219|GOUK&cid=OAS-UK-KWG-UK_Sitelinks_iPad-UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003P5AOBW/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Ipad...schmipad

Got an ipod shuffle for the dragon a while back. I was astounded that you couldn`t just drag and drop music files to it as if it`s an external memory device. The Itunes software that you have to use is a pile of over blown , over complicated pointless sh1te.

Apple will get no more of my money.

As an aside, when I was thinking of getting a machine to do some home recording (multitracking ) on, I actually considered, for about a nanosecond, an Apple, but have since found that in reality a half decent PC running Reaper works great.

You can use iPods like a generic mp3 player with free third party applications if you want. It's easy.

For home recording Logic (Express or Studio) and a Mac is utterly brilliant. Apple's serious Apps like Final Cut, Logic are amazing. I just couldn't stomach a PC for anything remotely creative.

I don't see the real nich for the Ipad.

I mean, Iphones and similar, you put up with their smallness because they are so small you can put them in your pocket - its your phone, with web stuff, music etc, you take it everywhere, and it IS handy when out and about: Web browse when you have to find an address or number, work out where you are, how to get somewhere, when you are out and about, maps, timetables, etc. "Type" quick emails to people. But its not the same as a notebook computer, its too little and limited.

But once you step up to something the size of the Ipad, why not get a baby "netbook" PC? With a better keyboard, far cheaper, loads more mainstream software and stuff, etc etc? Like an Asus EEE, or numerous similar things.

Touch screen typing is slow and awkward. Why have an Ipad, which is basically an oversized Iphone, when you could have a little netbook computer that would do more practical stuff, for a lot less? Unless of course you have been assimilated into the Apple-Borg!

I mean, Iphones and similar, you put up with their smallness because they are so small you can put them in your pocket - its your phone, with web stuff, music etc, you take it everywhere, and it IS handy when out and about: Web browse when you have to find an address or number, work out where you are, how to get somewhere, when you are out and about, maps, timetables, etc. "Type" quick emails to people. But its not the same as a notebook computer, its too little and limited.

But once you step up to something the size of the Ipad, why not get a baby "netbook" PC? With a better keyboard, far cheaper, loads more mainstream software and stuff, etc etc? Like an Asus EEE, or numerous similar things.

Touch screen typing is slow and awkward. Why have an Ipad, which is basically an oversized Iphone, when you could have a little netbook computer that would do more practical stuff, for a lot less? Unless of course you have been assimilated into the Apple-Borg!

iPad niche = OAPs.

Generally consumers of content and slow single finger typists.

Its for posers, nothing more.

http://geekcomforts.com/ has an excellent take on Apple products today. In that Mac and Apple fan boys use them to pose. If you make any sort of rational arguement against them (says Geek comforts) apple fan boys will denegrate you for being too poor to afford one. But then again Macs these days are nuts.... all you are buying is the OS nothing more. Apple seriously overcharges for its hardware components are often 100-400% MORE costlt for the same product from say dabs or aria. But again fan boys will say cus yer poor init!

Asus EEE's refurbs 1000HEs can be had for £107 from Dabs these days. And you'll do a hell of a lot more on it than an IPAD!

I've got the iphone4

I quite like it, mainly because everything works! My old nokia could do much more but it so rarely did any of it well.

I'd never buy an Ipad though, it's far too limiting for use as anything other than a toy and can't do anything more than an iphone.