House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

izzy

Tara Palm-Tomkinson Writes A Novel

Posh IT girl Tara Palmer-Tomkinson launched her novel this week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/8032649/Tara-Palmer-Tomkinsons-airport-book-is-ready-for-take-off.html

Seems like every second book is a celebrity novel. So many questions: what does this say about current culture? Who buys these books? How will our literary legacy be viewed by future generations?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/8032649/Tara-Palmer-Tomkinsons-airport-book-is-ready-for-take-off.html

Seems like every second book is a celebrity novel. So many questions: what does this say about current culture? Who buys these books? How will our literary legacy be viewed by future generations?

Off on a slight tangent but I saw a really interesting program on marketing, specifically about biscuits about 10-15 years ago. Can't remember everything about but it was generally about launching a new brand, but the thing that stuck with me was at the end one of the talking heads said that in the future companies wouldn't simply stop producing "new" products, or more specifically anything new would be a new concept but with a familiar brand attached. It has been really interesting seeing this develop and true to the guys word it has come to pass.

Think for example of the recent trend for breakfast bars, rather than launch a complete new product, they have just stuck know brand names on to products which really had no relevance to the finished product. In particular Marmite breakfast bars. Launching a new product is massively expensive so now they tap in to the known consumer brand names as a hook to launch slightly different stuff.

What has this got to do with a novel by TPT, well it's the same principle, you can try and sell novel by an unknown writer or you can get a few thousand copied sold simply because it's some bint who has been on Telly. In a double whamy they also get coverage in all the celebrity mags becuase TPT isn't the sort you expect to be writing a proper novel.

Off on a slight tangent but I saw a really interesting program on marketing, specifically about biscuits about 10-15 years ago. Can't remember everything about but it was generally about launching a new brand, but the thing that stuck with me was at the end one of the talking heads said that in the future companies wouldn't simply stop producing "new" products, or more specifically anything new would be a new concept but with a familiar brand attached. It has been really interesting seeing this develop and true to the guys word it has come to pass.

Think for example of the recent trend for breakfast bars, rather than launch a complete new product, they have just stuck know brand names on to products which really had no relevance to the finished product. In particular Marmite breakfast bars. Launching a new product is massively expensive so now they tap in to the known consumer brand names as a hook to launch slightly different stuff.

What has this got to do with a novel by TPT, well it's the same principle, you can try and sell novel by an unknown writer or you can get a few thousand copied sold simply because it's some bint who has been on Telly. In a double whamy they also get coverage in all the celebrity mags becuase TPT isn't the sort you expect to be writing a proper novel.

What the publishers hope is that huge sales of any old cr*p with a celeb name attached will subsidise their taking risks on new, promising authors, who may or may not earn back their usually pretty piddling advances.

I wonder if she will include a blow-by-blow account of all her dealings with the Princes?

:D

Didn't someone once say of Naomi Campbell's book The Swan that although she didn't actually write it, she was, in a very real sense, the author?

I'd have thought that TPT was a bit past her sell-by date as a celeb. Admittedly I don't read lifestyle comics newspapers much these days, so I may be wrong about that.

Tara, Tara, Tara?

Torah, Torah, Torah?

That must be where the joke about the Jewish Kamikaze pilot comes from.

Hopefully her book will be a best seller so she can stock up on new noses...Fxck me, her hooter looks like a curly wurly.

Tara singalong, 123..."It's the real thing"..."Who you gonna call...Nose Busters".

"Years of cocaine abuse appears to have finally caught up with Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, after shocking photographs revealed her once perfect nose to be on the brink of collapse"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-392937/The-terrible-toll-cocaine-taken-Taras-face.html

Seems like every second book is a celebrity novel. So many questions: what does this say about current culture?

I went to a lecture at the Royal Geographical Society earlier this year about economic inequality. The speaker (one of the country's leading experts on inequality) said that there was a link between inequality and celebrity culture. The more unequal a society the more pervasive its worship of celebrities. We could debate this endlessly but it's certainly true that Britain has become more unequal in the last 15 years just as celebrity culture has reached new heights. It's true to say that it is largely the poor who consume the kind of 'bling culture' offered by the likes of Jordan, Cheryl Cole and, it would seem, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson.

I went to a lecture at the Royal Geographical Society earlier this year about economic inequality. The speaker (one of the country's leading experts on inequality) said that there was a link between inequality and celebrity culture. The more unequal a society the more pervasive its worship of celebrities. We could debate this endlessly but it's certainly true that Britain has become more unequal in the last 15 years just as celebrity culture has reached new heights. It's true to say that it is largely the poor who consume the kind of 'bling culture' offered by the likes of Jordan, Cheryl Cole and, it would seem, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson.

Decadence has always accompanied the death throes of civilisations.

I wonder if she will include a blow-by-blow account of all her dealings with the Princes?

:D

Well, you can find out when it hits Poundland in 3...2...1...