House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Inquiry Vow Over £6M Council Expenses Bill - Sheffield

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Inquiry-vow-over-6m-council.6559301.jp

MORE than £6 million was spent by Sheffield Council on staff expenses last year - including almost half a million pounds on hospitality, The Star can reveal.

The figures, for 2009/10, were released as staff protested about news 8,500 of its 13,500 staff could be dismissed and re-hired under cheaper contracts. Changes include scrapping sick pay for workers' first three days of leave and removing annual salary increments, to save £7 million annually.

Sheffield Council revealed full details of its expenses including both those claimed by staff and paid on their behalf, which totalled £6,036,000 during 2009/10.

The figure excludes councillors' expenses, which came to £18,334.50 over the same period.

The staff expenses total was £1,431,000 for training, £1,371,000 for car allowance, £906,000 on public transport, £670,000 on general employee expenditure, £577,000 on car parking, £535,000 for conference expenses, £492,000 for hospitality and £54,000 on subsistence.

Council leader Paul Scriven has promised an immediate inquiry - and trade unionists voiced concerns.

I would love to know how they've blown £900k on public transport, what the hell have they been doing to run that up?

I wonder if the car allowance figure includes care workers going door to door?

Still good to know the council is spending my council tax wisely.

I would love to know how they've blown £900k on public transport, what the hell have they been doing to run that up?

The total expenses bill is about £444 per member of staff. i.e. about £100 spent on training, £66 on public transport etc. It hardly seems implausible.

http://www.thestar.c...ncil.6559301.jp

A journey of less than a mile on the bus costs over £2.

Ouch. I thought £1.30 minimum fare and for up to 1.5ish miles was bad.

Iirc a weekly bus ticket for only First buses in Sheffield (not including other bus operators or the tram) is £17.50 so how they can spend that much money on public transport isn't very surprising.

I used to work for one of the research councils in Swindon. They used to have a stash of Open Returns to London for staff to use at £100 a go. The reasoning was that you couldn't predict when meetings were likely to end, so couldn't book in advance :(

I imagine that kind of thinking is fairly common.

Ouch. I thought £1.30 minimum fare and for up to 1.5ish miles was bad.

Iirc a weekly bus ticket for only First buses in Sheffield (not including other bus operators or the tram) is £17.50 so how they can spend that much money on public transport isn't very surprising.

A £2.40 journey today would have cost 10p in 1985 I think. So inflation for bus fares is running at 2300%. If you thought house price inflation was out of control, remember HPI from 1985 is only 100%. It's cheaper to run a bus than to catch one :blink:

A £2.40 journey today would have cost 10p in 1985 I think. So inflation for bus fares is running at 2300%. If you thought house price inflation was out of control, remember HPI from 1985 is only 100%. It's cheaper to run a bus than to catch one :blink:

Your maths sucks. So does your memory.

Your maths sucks. So does your memory.

A bus fare for an adult in Sheffield in 1985 was indeed 10p, pretty much anywhere in the city. Going further afield it might have been a bit more. Obviously cross-boundary travel cost extra.

For a long time the standard adult fare was 9p, then at some point in the mid-80s they rounded it up to 10p. From 1974 to 1986, Children traveled anywhere for 2p. As a kid in the 1970s, it was great!

The fares were subsidised from the budget of the long defunct South Yorkshire County Council. The abolition of the council in 1986 and the introduction of bus deregulation the following year put an end to cheap bus fares in the region.

http://www.thestar.c...ncil.6559301.jp

what about the training?

Is this to run council services.

Surely, if the council run the services, the experience lies WITHIN the council, and the council experienced employees will do the training...at no cost other than the existing wages.

maybe fitted in the work day...a manager takes an hour out to do training.

Course, much better to hire a hotel, a training firm and let them create a course and all the rest.

New gear?? get the training in the cost....might need some buyers with a pair....

Sounds like a matter of disability discrimination there. After all, who's going to faff about with a bus for a one mile journey if they're able-bodied? I wouldn't even get the bike out for that distance unless in a desperate hurry[1] or injured.

[1] Once upon a time I commuted from Bath to Swindon. Living about one mile from Bath station, I learned very precisely how long it took to get there - 10 minutes power-walk, 6 mins fast run, 4 mins on the bike (one of which would be getting it out and parking it).

Sounds like a matter of disability discrimination there. After all, who's going to faff about with a bus for a one mile journey if they're able-bodied? I wouldn't even get the bike out for that distance unless in a desperate hurry[1] or injured.

[1] Once upon a time I commuted from Bath to Swindon. Living about one mile from Bath station, I learned very precisely how long it took to get there - 10 minutes power-walk, 6 mins fast run, 4 mins on the bike (one of which would be getting it out and parking it).

Why did you walk 10 mins, run 6 mins and THEN get on a bike? Why not just get on the bike to start with? Where did this bike come from? Why was it stored somewhere 10 mins walk and 6 mins run away? Why did you not keep it where you lived? :)

Edited by Lucifer

A bus fare for an adult in Sheffield in 1985 was indeed 10p, pretty much anywhere in the city. Going further afield it might have been a bit more. Obviously cross-boundary travel cost extra.

For a long time the standard adult fare was 9p, then at some point in the mid-80s they rounded it up to 10p. From 1974 to 1986, Children traveled anywhere for 2p. As a kid in the 1970s, it was great!

The fares were subsidised from the budget of the long defunct South Yorkshire County Council. The abolition of the council in 1986 and the introduction of bus deregulation the following year put an end to cheap bus fares in the region.

Happy memories, Bart. BTW it was 2p for a bub anywhere in South Yorkshire, wasn't it.

Great days.

These expenses seem quite reasonable and public transport seems like a wise use of funds to me.

Unlike, I suspect, the cost of the inquiry.

These expenses seem quite reasonable and public transport seems like a wise use of funds to me.

guessing again.

Sure, that's why I said "suspect".

You, Sir, are the king of comprehension.

I was referring to the first claim you made.

your second line is also a guess I notice.

Now get back to your job agency...send out some clients CVs and get earning.

I was referring to the first claim you made.

your second line is also a guess I notice.

Now get back to your job agency...send out some clients CVs and get earning.

What a strange person you are. You quoted my second post in your response.

As in:

ME: These expenses seem quite reasonable and public transport seems like a wise use of funds to me.

YOU: guessing again.

Edited to add:

After much thought, I have to say I can no longer regard you as the king of comprehension.

Edited by aussieboy

As I remember the adult fare was 8p, and I seem to remember the reasoning was that an adult and kid could travel for 10p.

As a school holiday pastime we used to collect pop bottles with deposits (1p) on them and then 'go traveling' by bus. We traveled 'all o'er t'city', although one took one's life in one's hands changing at Pond Street.

Edited by Alberta Tatlock

If I was going to trawl through expense claims with the aim of pointing out abuses and trying to cut future costs, I wouldn't bother with loads of folk claiming a few quid for buses.

I'd start with the bigger items, like outrageous tax rides, expensive hotels, trips abroad for dubious reasons, meals in flash restaurants etc. The low-hanging fruit, things that are harder to justify.

On the other hand, since its probably the more senior staff who could do things like that, and they are probably the people instigating this report, they probably don't want to flag up the all-expenses paid "fact finding" trips to somewhere nice to find out something that a phone call or an email could have discovered, etc.

Councils don't just waste money on bus fares

£492,000 for hospitality?

£492,000 for hospitality?

What are they serving? Caviar and lobster? Who are they feeding? The 5000?

With a population of 547,000, the City of Sheffield is England’s third largest metropolitan authority.

I don't believe it. It works out at 90p for every person in Sheffield.

:blink:

Sacking and rehiring for a lower wage...

Removing increment entitlement....

These are infinitely sensible suggestions! Why the horror!?