House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JMcLane

Are The Mainstream Media Delaying The Hpc Doom Until The Oct Announcement About Cuts?

This is my own personal question to the board. I have nothing more to say apart from the title.

Anyone have any thoughts? I think they will store all the house news and then blame it on the condems cuts and the people will accept that.

The way I see it in my search area and price range is that everyday I see 10-30K drops on listings, maybe they were to expectant initially, who knows. What I do know is these things I see with my eyes do not match what I hear and read about in the stats and charts and press releases etc.

I think they are storing the juicy stories.

No, I do not think they are delaying the doom.

Yes, I believe in the coming weeks we will be softened up for the Oct 20th review by warnings of how bad it will be.

Yes, I believe that certain senior people in the Meeja such as the Heads of the BBC, ITN and Sky News, Editors of the main newspapers will have already been briefed on how bad things will be - perhaps not the specific cuts but these, at discreet drinks and dinner parties will become known to the chosen few before Oct 20th - and these heads will in turn, if they have not done so already, brief their own senior editorial teams so they can plan ahead about how they will handle the story, who to interview, what line to take, etc.

I suspect that the above will have been briefed on a confidential basis having been told that how they deal with the news of the cuts will have dramatic affects on the country - hence, I suspect, whilst they will be critical and challenging of Govt Ministers at the time... they will have been asked to approach this news with the best interests of the country at heart.

No, I do not think they are delaying the doom.

Yes, I believe in the coming weeks we will be softened up for the Oct 20th review by warnings of how bad it will be.

Yes, I believe that certain senior people in the Meeja such as the Heads of the BBC, ITN and Sky News, Editors of the main newspapers will have already been briefed on how bad things will be - perhaps not the specific cuts but these, at discreet drinks and dinner parties will become known to the chosen few before Oct 20th - and these heads will in turn, if they have not done so already, brief their own senior editorial teams so they can plan ahead about how they will handle the story, who to interview, what line to take, etc.

I suspect that the above will have been briefed on a confidential basis having been told that how they deal with the news of the cuts will have dramatic affects on the country - hence, I suspect, whilst they will be critical and challenging of Govt Ministers at the time... they will have been asked to approach this news with the best interests of the country at heart.

You mean it's not like Spooks?!

The conspiracy theory part of me suspects that the MSM are holding back the worst of the stories until their editors have sold off tranches of the BTL portfolios.... After that? Let the sheeple BURN.....!

Personally, I think Auntie Pravda were warned about a month ago. - something along these lines

"Listen Mr Thompson... we both know you've been abusing the position of your organisation quite blatantly, now I'm going to lay it on the line... Like it or not, we still have the power to restrict your precious license fee through the law courts. If you continue to propagate your communist filth, we will cut your income or privatise your completely. If you agree to educate the masses, as I believe is your original mandate, we will only freeze your source of income at its current rate, to be reviewed in 4 years. Do I make myself clear?"

The 'coming House Price Crash' has been coming for at least 3 years before I joined this site as a member. In that time it has been suggested one should sell up, buy gold, invest in a rifle and stockpile tinned food.

There will be no house price crash of the order of magnitude necessary to adjust house prices whilst the current debt-based money system exists. There will be a crash but at the point it happens, in my opinion, the whole economy will go down the pan and the idea that anyone will be settling down into a Lazy-Boy armchair whilst the missus picks out new curtains will be the least of ones worries. All that is happening now is that the powers-that-be are attempting to stabilise a basically broken system.

The debt that exists can never be repaid. The interest on the interest each year makes this a mathematical impossibility. Accept this fact, forget about house prices and be prepared. It's either massive inflation through printed money, or a collapse of the system through the banks being in constant need of propping up until they are all that's left. Combined with the dwindling resources, namely oil, there is nowhere left for the World's economy to grow into. It's game over as far as I can see. House prices, from what I've learnt over the last 7 or 8 years, when they do collapse will be a sign that the whole thing is about to collapse in a spectacular style as that is the moment that banks and the money you have are about to become worthless.

We are not going back to pre-2007 after a brief blip.

The debt that exists can never be repaid. The interest on the interest each year makes this a mathematical impossibility. Accept this fact, forget about house prices and be prepared. It's either massive inflation through printed money, or a collapse of the system through the banks being in constant need of propping up until they are all that's left. Combined with the dwindling resources, namely oil, there is nowhere left for the World's economy to grow into. It's game over as far as I can see. House prices, from what I've learnt over the last 7 or 8 years, when they do collapse will be a sign that the whole thing is about to collapse in a spectacular style as that is the moment that banks and the money you have are about to become worthless.

Chilling.

I wonder how the MSN would spin that :ph34r:

However I seriously see 15% drops all aound me at the top end of range and +/-10% on the lower price range and this really is not consistent with what I `am told`. My gut instinct tells me something is afoot and I would expect to see "HOUSE PRICES DROP 15%" (the 15% from my price range) say end of Oct, early November, maybe Labour will talk to a few old school chums and the condem haters will join in after that. The Condem party will then will be blamed, its almost begging to happen. :ph34r:

It's already happening from where I see it. I viewed a repossessed property today, on for £149k. Estate Agent was brutally honest, said on the quiet I could probably get the place for £20k off list price. It did need a bit of work though and I'd want more money off than 15%. Apparently they've been flooded with repossessions recently and she'll have more in the coming weeks.

The estate agents aren't putting on much front anymore and can't talk up these markets, they just want the sales and can't blame them I guess.

Chilling.

I wonder how the MSN would spin that :ph34r:

However I seriously see 15% drops all aound me at the top end of range and +/-10% on the lower price range and this really is not consistent with what I `am told`. My gut instinct tells me something is afoot and I would expect to see "HOUSE PRICES DROP 15%" (the 15% from my price range) say end of Oct, early November, maybe Labour will talk to a few old school chums and the condem haters will join in after that. The Condem party will then will be blamed, its almost begging to happen. :ph34r:

Take it how you wish. House prices are a canary in the mine. Once they stop being propped up, then watch it all collapse.

And you're correct, the spin being put out by the media is so obviously at odds with what most people are seeing around them it's become laughable. There was a headline in the Express yesterday about how retail sales had risen by 1.2%. This, when several major retailers going bust, would suggest a redistribution of sales amongst the ones who are still going. Namely increased sales for a much smaller pool. The way it's portrayed is "The Green Shoots are back" (I paraphrase).

This is not over and the media are still using pre-2007 games when the reality is that the economy is going off a cliff. Does anyone know a person who is not fearing for their job ? Anyone who is willing to spend all their savings on crap they don't need ? It's the desperation of a bust system and I suspect the next year is when the real depression starts.

It's already happening from where I see it. I viewed a repossessed property today, on for £149k. Estate Agent was brutally honest, said on the quiet I could probably get the place for £20k off list price. It did need a bit of work though and I'd want more money off than 15%. Apparently they've been flooded with repossessions recently and she'll have more in the coming weeks.

The estate agents aren't putting on much front anymore and can't talk up these markets, they just want the sales and can't blame them I guess.

Where?

There will be no house price crash of the order of magnitude necessary to adjust house prices whilst the current debt-based money system exists. There will be a crash but at the point it happens, in my opinion, the whole economy will go down the pan and the idea that anyone will be settling down into a Lazy-Boy armchair whilst the missus picks out new curtains will be the least of ones worries. All that is happening now is that the powers-that-be are attempting to stabilise a basically broken system.

So eveybody's cash becomes worthless. Everybody's? David Cameron's? Richard Branson's? The Queen's? Tony Blair's? How does that work, please?

It's already happening from where I see it.

Not from my view.

About 3 months ago I saw an ideally located property on at 189K. Before I could get around to viewing it it disappeared from the EA's list. Then it reappeared with another EA at 199K so I booked a viewing.

It was disappointingly small (EA's fault for not putting room sizes on RM) and no bigger than one that is (almost literally) directly across the railway line on at 159K. 100 yards nearer to the station and town centre is just not worth 40K in my book.

And today it appears in my in box reduced to 190K.

So three months of downward trend and it's still on for more than the original price!

When it's on at 165, I might be interested!

(BTW the owner has emigrated to Oz, apparently forever)

This is my own personal question to the board. I have nothing more to say apart from the title.

Anyone have any thoughts? I think they will store all the house news and then blame it on the condems cuts and the people will accept that.

The way I see it in my search area and price range is that everyday I see 10-30K drops on listings, maybe they were to expectant initially, who knows. What I do know is these things I see with my eyes do not match what I hear and read about in the stats and charts and press releases etc.

...good hunch ...suspect the BBC will lead the charge (many BTLers).....full of lefties ....and trust they are at the top of the list for cuts....fed up of broadcasts that sound like 30 year old transmissions from Moscow.... :rolleyes:

Not from my view.

About 3 months ago I saw an ideally located property on at 189K. Before I could get around to viewing it it disappeared from the EA's list. Then it reappeared with another EA at 199K so I booked a viewing.

It was disappointingly small (EA's fault for not putting room sizes on RM) and no bigger than one that is (almost literally) directly across the railway line on at 159K. 100 yards nearer to the station and town centre is just not worth 40K in my book.

And today it appears in my in box reduced to 190K.

So three months of downward trend and it's still on for more than the original price!

When it's on at 165, I might be interested!

(BTW the owner has emigrated to Oz, apparently forever)

A property is only worth what someone will pay for it. Why not offer £165k? The list price means nothing, its only a very rough guide.

A property is only worth what someone will pay for it. Why not offer £165k? The list price means nothing, its only a very rough guide.

If they were likey to accept 165, why did they move agent and put it on at a higher price?

tim

Tonight on BBC news/sport they tried to convince me that an Ark would not be out of place at the ryder cup during todays rain. Tomorrow they will announce that swimming gives you cancer. NO wait, that has already been announced. Tomorrow swimming will make you live longer... damn! I am so confused by the media. :ph34r: Smoking kills, that means it doesnt, bbl off for some smokes.

The meeja have been talking down house prices for 3-4 months now so whatever is reported after 20/10 would just be a continuation of what has gone before. I find it interesting that newspapers who were talking up the housing market 6 months ago have done a 180 dgree turnaround. It's almost as though the meeja are spun by the government as to where they want house prices to go. :ph34r:

So eveybody's cash becomes worthless. Everybody's? David Cameron's? Richard Branson's? The Queen's? Tony Blair's? How does that work, please?

They don't have much cash. That's the point. Wealth is stored in assets not in cash. Money simply allows you to move stuff around. The tiddly little bit of money you and I use to buy pointless tat like food and cars is way beyond irrelevant, it is less than meaningless. If you want to understand the scenario described look at what happened as the Soviet Union descended into chaos and bankruptcy. Rich old ladies reduced to selling off their fur coats to get some money to buy food. The truly "rich" in asset terms are now referred to as "oligarchs" and are doing quite nicely. Russia is still there and everyone is still muddling through. That is the future that awaits Western economies as the financial system collapses.

David Cameron, Richard Branson, Elizabeth Windsor and Anthony Blair will still have far more than you and I but your pension will be worth the price of a cup of tea and the money you put aside for a rainy day will buy you a postage stamp. The banks have blown the budget and there is no one else to take the money from unless you take it all from the rich. The rich are in charge and will not pay. That's how the system works, the argument (if there is any) is simply how we get to a new stability (like Russia).

Interesting - are the banks quietly starting to off load repo-houses they previously bought out with their 'shell' companies to keep prices high?

I expect their hands are also being forced due to the new banking 'changes' coming into place.

Because when there are numerous bank runs and the banks can't pay everyone (and go bust in a chain reaction) - the public quickly go off money as an exchange medium as they did in 30's - as the scam of the way banking is run is 'revealed'/'unveiled' to everyone and they suddenly 'click'!

Thats why Brown/Darling/Merve got in place that new UK bankster law which says the empty UK banks don't have to report any more 'borrowing' to keep them afloat

(to prevent further bank runs and collapse in cash confidence) as the City+Elites will lose control of their 'money medium' way of ripping us off!

Edited by erranta

The meeja have been talking down house prices for 3-4 months now so whatever is reported after 20/10 would just be a continuation of what has gone before. I find it interesting that newspapers who were talking up the housing market 6 months ago have done a 180 dgree turnaround. It's almost as though the meeja are spun by the government as to where they want house prices to go. :ph34r:

That is interesting isn't it? I'm thinking out loud but having done a contract for a well known newspaper (on the commercial side) I was struck by how much they were swung by whatever press releases were doing the rounds. I wonder if the VI's have run out of money they've been paying PR companies to pump their message out? Maybe that is what has been swinging the media - the amount of positve PR stories/releases put out by industry. I have a few contacts in publishing and my impression is that its getting harder and harder to afford quality of journalism and there is more reliance on picking up "ready made" stuff from other sources (new media and so on). Also, I work for an Ad Agency and our PR clients have reduced significantly over the last couple of years (clients taking PR back in house where it tends to be done badly).