House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Irish Bailout And Starving Children

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/crisis-as-irish-bank-bailout-grows-2093730.html

I LOVE this comment underneath:

Another option - according to WFP 1 child dies of hunger every 6 seconds, and for the first time there's 1 billion hungry people.

WFP also claims it costs just $170 to feed someone for a year.

Call it 120 eus.....

That makes this bank bailout alone capable of feeding

241,666,666 people for a year.

But we can't afford it apparently.........(yet we do - just for bankers, not children)

A quarter of a billion fed for a year, just out of this one single (Irish) bank job.

Starving to death must be a helluva way to go. Still, pass me the Dom Perignon darling.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/crisis-as-irish-bank-bailout-grows-2093730.html

I LOVE this comment underneath:

Another option - according to WFP 1 child dies of hunger every 6 seconds, and for the first time there's 1 billion hungry people.

WFP also claims it costs just $170 to feed someone for a year.

Call it 120 eus.....

That makes this bank bailout alone capable of feeding

241,666,666 people for a year.

But we can't afford it apparently.........(yet we do - just for bankers, not children)

A quarter of a billion fed for a year, just out of this one single (Irish) bank job.

Starving to death must be a helluva way to go. Still, pass me the Dom Perignon darling.

Economics doesnt work like that. If you were to spend that money on food, the price would go up, at least initially, no extra food would be created.

There would be a price signal though, encouraging farmers to produce more, and to risk more spend on fertilizer and the like. That would lead to increased food production. But unless that demand from the extra money were sustained, then this extra production would disappear along with the one of spike in demand.

There is a Malthusian argument as well, that if you feed everyone, you end up with even more to feed. This is clearly not true of Western and developing countries, which have seen falling birth rates, and indeed falling population, despite and abundance of food. But it may well still be true in third world countries. If it is true, then a one off resupply of food from the west to the third world, might actually make things worse. I think food aid needs to be combined with education and other development aid, to make sure any support is sustainable.

One thing I think we can agree on though, is giving the money to bankers will make things worse.

There is a Malthusian argument as well, that if you feed everyone, you end up with even more to feed. This is clearly not true of Western and developing countries, which have seen falling birth rates, and indeed falling population, despite and abundance of food. But it may well still be true in third world countries.

After Live Aid when all that food and money flooded into Ethiopia, the Birth rate skyrocket in both Ethiopia and the surrounding countries.

They are now having another famine and are complaining about how unfair it is, but the famine was actualy caused this time but a massive population increase.

In countries with high child mortality it's tradition to have as many kids as you can, (so at least some survive) as fast as you can. Vaccinate them against childhood diseases and give them ample food and clean water and the population will quadruple within a generation.

That's what Live-Aid did.

If you feed them, they breed, then theres at least twice the problem next time round. Im all for food aid, so long as its tied to some sort of sterilization or birth control.

Many of our 19th century ancestors were in the same predicament; would you have been so harsh with your own family?

In order to introduce effective birth control resources, education and female literacy are required. All of these things are possible. Unfortunately human selfishness stops the resources from being properly allocated. None of us are born with a divine right to the riches of this planet. Personally, I'm getting rather sick of those with money thinking that somehow that entitles them to more of the Earth's resources.

If you feed them, they breed, then theres at least twice the problem next time round.

But if you keep them fed, and the kids healthy for 2 generations, then it starts seeming sensible to them to restrict the number of kids they have. And they can do do that without risking all of them dying.

Of course there are also cultural factors. I remember hearing on the radio an Indian woman saying, "You want to have a son to light your funeral pyre. So you have eight children - four of them will be girls, two of the boys will die and one will go to the city and never return. That how you have one son to inherit the farm and light the pyre."

Culture can change, however. Another report I recollect from some years ago: the birth rate in one Central/Southern American country was falling, and one curious factor was mentioned. Television + credit. There was at least one immensely popular soap opera which showed families with consumer goodies like washing machines. Then there were people who would let you buy a washing machine on HP. So you could get a washing machine, providing you could keep up the payments - which meant that you couldn't afford to feed another mouth. So, easier life + status or extra mouth to feed? Suddenly the local priest's disapproval of contraception doesn't seem quite so important.

Mind you, sometimes it's an uphill struggle. They're coming across this in the fight against AIDS across sub-Saharan Africa. The women will happily ask their husbands to use condoms, knowing that it will help protect them and help limit the family. The men are against it - not only does it inconvenience them, but they believe that only a woman who is sleeping with a man who isn't her husband wants to use condoms. Contraception = proof of infidelity. And, of course abstinence = proof of impotence.

Go one step further and white people telling Africans not to have so many children is a form of slow-burning genocide - "You are trying to get rid of us!" Let them starve and "You are holding on to food which should be ours!"

In sex, religion and starvation there is little rationality.

db

If you feed them, they breed, then theres at least twice the problem next time round. Im all for food aid, so long as its tied to some sort of sterilization or birth control.

It's nice that your accident of birth enables you to make such a vile comment.

Many of our 19th century ancestors were in the same predicament; would you have been so harsh with your own family?

My own family dont have half a dozen children! On the contrary, its all only-childs in my family, thankfully. I dont consider it 'harsh' expecting people to be responsible for their own kids, i dont even think child benefit is right, particularly with more than two kids.

Im happy for them to have two children per couple, but its insane that countries with the highest malnutrition rates also have the highest birth rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_fertility_rate

It's nice that your accident of birth enables you to make such a vile comment.

Seems logical to me.

Why do you say that it's vile?

My own family dont have half a dozen children! On the contrary, its all only-childs in my family, thankfully. I dont consider it 'harsh' expecting people to be responsible for their own kids, i dont even think child benefit is right, particularly with more than two kids.

Im happy for them to have two children per couple, but its insane that countries with the highest malnutrition rates also have the highest birth rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_fertility_rate

I wasn't talking about yours or your parent's generation. I was referring to OUR history a few generations further back. I challenge anyone who thinks we are completely different to the Africans to read Mary Barton, by Elizabeth Gaskell in 1848, and see for themselves the existence many of our ancestors endured. The luxury we enjoy was won in human lives. We should be grateful, humble and generous.

Do I really need to point this out?

Probably.

YourParentsShoudNotHaveHadYou.jpg

"Let them die and decrease the surplus population"

Now I deeply mistrust government-to-government aid, since it's too often a dishonest transaction on both sides. One side ties it to buying things from us and borrowing money from our banks, and giving us trading concessions to the resources the poorer side can't afford to exploit. On the other there is corruption and inefficiency all the way down the chain, with the kleptocrats at the top taking the first and largest slice, with little intention of it doing more than buying votes.

Someone said, "If you are the ruler of a poor country, where the price of bread is getting out of hand, you go begging for help to relieve the famine in your villages up country. When you get the money or the grain, you use it to keep down the price of bread in the city, and send hardly any of it upcountry, even though those in the city are not starving and those in the country are. The people concentrated in the city can riot and remove you from power; the people spread across the villages can only die and remove themselves from the equation."

BUT Spending money on giving skills - and contraceptives - to people through targeted aid (and NGOs) can help. And if the current ways of helping don't work, then we should find ways that do. Perhaps we should target all those people who say, "We are a Christian nation."

Saying, "No good helping them, they need to die," whilst you tuck into the second naan says bad things about you - especially when the price of that naan could have done so much good elsewhere, and you would have been better off not eating it.

db