House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Survey Shows Wales Has £150,000 House Price Gap

...Mr McGuire said there was a trend of younger buyers wanting to stay in city centres where they first rented flats rather than moving out to the leafy suburbs as their parents did, which may begin to affect house prices in different areas.

Darlows sales director Thomas Ross-Bason said the findings reflect trends seen in the group’s agencies across South Wales.

He said: “I would certainly agree that Monmouthshire, the Vale of Glamorgan and Cardiff are the areas which have seen the highest property prices of late.

“I’d like to stress that homeowners should not be too concerned about the current market in Wales – if a property is priced sensibly, it will sell.”

The figures also show areas where prices have held up best since the late 2007 peak in the market.

Average property values in Wales as a whole remain 12.6% below their peak, with an average loss in value of £22,013, but are up by 5% over the past 18 months from the lows reached in March 2009.

The property market in the Vale of Glamorgan has proven the most resilient in Wales, with average house prices now only 6.2% below their September 2007 level.

Ceredigion, down 6.4%, and Monmouthshire, down 7.2%, had held up almost as well.

At the other end of the scale, in Blaenau Gwent property prices remain 14.6% below their peak levels.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/09/30/survey-shows-wales-has-150-000-house-price-gap-91466-27369488/#ixzz110FFtBG0

Mr McGuire said there was a trend of younger buyers wanting to stay in city centres where they first rented flats rather than moving out to the leafy suburbs as their parents did, which may begin to affect house prices in different areas.

Their parents had functional public transport and parking facilities.

I think it's more to do with the prices of houses in leafy places being totally out of reach of people on ordinary salaries.

It's not that they're choosing to stay in the centre - it's that they can't afford to move anywhere leafier.

In Cardiff, for instance, I know some people who've moved to Whitchurch (slightly leafier) when starting a family, but I know an awful lot more who move to / stay in Canton (not very leafy and trending towards grotty south and east) and Grangetown (trending heavily towards grotty all over), because they can't afford a house with three bedrooms anywhere else.