House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Nationwide Hpi Septmember 2010 0.1%

well, lets see, werent approvals falling, yet prices are static?....they must be approving more and more per mortgage.....and yet, a couple of thousand never make it to completion...so...affordability must be getting worse...if only by £160 this month

And this lot dont lend to newbuilds I gather.

And isnt this the Autumn bounce....another peak buying time?

if prices cant move at this time, the signs are good for the coming months.

An update to the HPC front page chart is needed. The prices are now lower than the "long term exponential trend" (which we all know is bilge and balls anyway).

But that is cause for a small thimble of champagne surely....?

Here's some good news though, as part of the announcement is this

Three month rate of change turns negative for first time since May 2009

Annual rate of change drops 0.8%

That's even better than a montly figure.

Edited by exiges

Add a few forced sales into the mix and should make an interesting winter.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/2010/09/29/mortgage-timebomb-as-condem-cuts-to-lifeline-leave-100-000-at-risk-115875-22595220/

Many risk being thrown on the streets as big changes from this Friday suddenly leave claimants - including thousands of pensioners - with repayment shortfalls of up to 40%.
The shake-up is the result of Condem attempts to tackle problems with the Support for Mortgage Interest benefit.
For someone with a typical £150,000 mortgage, a 40% shortfall will mean finding an extra £300 a month. That's the nightmare facing mum-of-three Diane Jones, who says a big cut will plunge her family into crisis.
Meanwhile, another 110,000 households won't get enough help, with 15,000 facing shortfalls of up to 40%.

I think this warrants it's own thread.

Inflation was my next question. That link doesn't mention/account for inflation?

wages are static.

i'd hope that most people with a housebuying fund are earning 0.1% per month or more on it in interest.

add in that anyone buying with a new mortgage is likely to be PAYING 3-7% in in interest per annum...as well as contents insurance, repairs, garden furniture etc etc.

Add a few forced sales into the mix and should make an interesting winter.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/advice/money/2010/09/29/mortgage-timebomb-as-condem-cuts-to-lifeline-leave-100-000-at-risk-115875-22595220/

Many risk being thrown on the streets as big changes from this Friday suddenly leave claimants - including thousands of pensioners - with repayment shortfalls of up to 40%.
The shake-up is the result of Condem attempts to tackle problems with the Support for Mortgage Interest benefit.
For someone with a typical £150,000 mortgage, a 40% shortfall will mean finding an extra £300 a month. That's the nightmare facing mum-of-three Diane Jones, who says a big cut will plunge her family into crisis.
Meanwhile, another 110,000 households won't get enough help, with 15,000 facing shortfalls of up to 40%.

I think this warrants it's own thread.

Why should there be any sympathy for any pensioner who hasn't paid off their mortgage and then expects taxpayers to pay it for them?

And I'm not old but I remember the days when £30,000 was described as a 'typical' mortgage and remember 10 years ago when a work colleague was referred to having a 'scary mortgage' of £70,000.

I'm beginning to give up hope.

My feeling now is that people would rather not sell their home than take less money than they think it's 'worth'.

Only forced sales on a massive scale can turn this oil tanker.

First time buyer price earnings chart updated for Q3 2010.

Nationwide notes for this data:

• Calculated as the ratio of Nationwide FTB house price to mean gross earnings in each region
  • Earnings data is from the ONS Annual Survey of Hours & Earnings, and pre-1998 the New Earnings Survey; NES data has been adjusted to create a consistent series
  • Mean earnings for a full time worker on adult rates are used
  • Quarterly earnings data calculated using straight line interpolation; points after last annual observation extrapolated using average growth rates and
    hence subject to revision

ftbperQ32010.gif