House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ken_ichikawa

Peak Oil No Problem For Exporters

A great number of people say oh the exporters will be doomed when the oil starts getting expensive.... never fear!

Nuclear powered container ships are on the way. I mean nuclear powered air craft carriers already exist and therefore it shouldn't be too much of a hassle build a container ship with a nuclear reactor onboard. Make the ship 50 times bigger to maximise cargo capacity minimise crew costs (since you'll need some marines on board to guard the reactors)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/27/nuclear_shipping/

So looks like peak oil isn't going to save us from job annilation then, imagine that a nuclear powered container ship could be 10 times bigger than the Emma Maersk carrying 110000 shipping containers! Or even bigger and carry over a million shipping containers. Won't fit the Suze or Panama canal though but who cares when you no longer have to put 20 million quid of fuel into the tank! Brning 380MT a day of gas will defo make your eyes watter. (Filling a car tank makes my eyes water!)

Edited by ken_ichikawa

A great number of people say oh the exporters will be doomed when the oil starts getting expensive.... never fear!

Nuclear powered container ships are on the way. I mean nuclear powered air craft carriers already exist and therefore it shouldn't be too much of a hassle build a container ship with a nuclear reactor onboard. Make the ship 50 times bigger to maximise cargo capacity minimise crew costs (since you'll need some marines on board to guard the reactors)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/27/nuclear_shipping/

So looks like peak oil isn't going to save us from job annilation then, imagine that a nuclear powered container ship could be 10 times bigger than the Emma Maersk carrying 110000 shipping containers! Or even bigger and carry over a million shipping containers. Won't fit the Suze or Panama canal though but who cares when you no longer have to put 20 million quid of fuel into the tank! Brning 380MT a day of gas will defo make your eyes watter. (Filling a car tank makes my eyes water!)

No point building any bigger. The biggest oil tankers are already prohibited from critical areas including the straights of Dover, Malacca due to turning circle of the ships.

Also draft is a factor.

Finally the 50x bigger tanker would need to stop at several ports as no one port would have the capacity to recieve all the oil. It would be like building a Jumbo Jet with 25000 seats.

Having effectively neutralised the domestic costs of employment through investment and automation I have a vested interest in sitting back and watching higher and higher oil prices.

You still need a horrendous quantity of oil to produce the ship and its reactor.

Yes, and all the fittings, plastic surfaces, pipes, chemicals, paint etc that go into making a ship.

You still need a horrendous quantity of oil to produce the ship and its reactor.

I think a return to sail is more likely.

Simple question:

- How much oil is used for non-fuel purposes (Everything from agrochemicals to lubricants)?

- How long will this amount of oil be available, counting only conventional sources?

I make that '15%' and 'Sometime past 2060'.