House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pent Up

Help I'm Too Tight To Get A Survey!

These fools have £60,000 to refurbish their 4 bed house in Staines but obviously were too tight to spend £1,000 on a proper survey.

Now it's going to be £60,000 to stop the place falling down! No luxury en suite for them!

Surely no one on this show bothered with surveys, or went with the cheap option.

Interesting that they have a loan to buy this and yet the bank isn't worried about what their money is be used for.

Apparently it is worried. It'll only lend them £40k now.

Beenys always up the duff

These fools have £60,000 to refurbish their 4 bed house in Staines but obviously were too tight to spend £1,000 on a proper survey.

Now it's going to be £60,000 to stop the place falling down! No luxury en suite for them!

Surely no one on this show bothered with surveys, or went with the cheap option.

I guess I've missed something. Who, what, where, when? :blink:

oooppps. Now it looks like they don't actually have £60,000 any more, now the banks only want to lend them £40,000.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but these things are set up.

Having seen a few of the “Homes from Hell” programs, is it just me or is Beeny a bit of a bodger. She’s encouraged this lot to use the roof to support the attic floor and that other lot a few weeks back to plaster over a major structural crack. Maybe it’s her way of doing things but I’d be upset if these bodges had been done a house I bought, though I’d not buy without a survey.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but these things are set up.

Indeed, it's always all rosey in the end! Turned out the problems weren't as costly, still enough for some stylish contemporary design, smiles all round :)

Three cheers for beeny!

Having seen a few of the “Homes from Hell” programs, is it just me or is Beeny a bit of a bodger. She’s encouraged this lot to use the roof to support the attic floor and that other lot a few weeks back to plaster over a major structural crack. Maybe it’s her way of doing things but I’d be upset if these bodges had been done a house I bought, though I’d not buy without a survey.

But what if you couldn't afford you're luxury en suite? Surely you'd be forced to bodge!

I have that impression also. The way that floor was straightened seems a bit of a bodge. It was too easy imo for it to stand the test of time.

But what if you couldn't afford you're luxury en suite? Surely you'd be forced to bodge!

Sorry but in my mind those repairs are suspect and I'd be happy to sleep sound and just accept that the new bathroom was going to have to wait.

On a separate point I wonder how much of the housing stock has been bodged like these homes.

Is that the message that Beeny is putting across in these programs, don't trust a property without getting an insured survey to handle the risk of bad DIY.

Edited by Blod

Thanks. :)

Bruno is there any way you can differentiate your 'sig' stuff from your posts?

Like different colour or font or bold or stick a 'cut-off' dotted line in - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bluddy irritating trying to read your posts - Ta!

Maybe the Mods can get the techies to make up an automatic 'sig' faint cutoff line or panel

Like different colour or font or bold or stick a 'cut-off' dotted line in - - - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe the Mods can get the techies to make up an automatic 'sig' faint cutoff line or panel

I'll see what I can do.

Most of the work was because of a burst water pipe which occurred whilst they were on holiday so a survey at purchase time would have been irrelevant

tim

Most of the work was because of a burst water pipe which occurred whilst they were on holiday so a survey at purchase time would have been irrelevant

tim

Didn't see that, TBH I was browsing HPC and watching who wants to be a millionaire at the same time. I was meaning to post a thread on the last two episodes but didn't get round to it. So it was more a pop at the people on the program in general rather than these ones in particular. Like the ones previously who had a giant whole in the roof soaking everything when it rained!

Beenys always up the duff

I am so tempted to write something lewd. Something about how that shouldnt be surprising, as most male het HPCers would gladly oblige. But I won't.

Oh, and one should ALWAYS get a full structural survey. And then, if you are still inclined to proceed, have an off-the-record chat with your surveyor. That'll put you off about 50% of places that seem normal to a sceptical layman.

Edited by General Melchett

you can choose not to display sigs.

the down side to this, is that it's not always as easy to spot the crazy folk. it is much easier to identify them when you see their rambling 500 word sigs with multiple font colours and sizes.

No Survey? Christ.

Oh, and one should ALWAYS get a full structural survey. And then, if you are still inclined to proceed, have an off-the-record chat with him/her. That'll put you off about 50% of places that seem normal to a sceptical layman.

Are you still referring to Beeny?