House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copydude

A Ryanair Rant

Call me stupid, but I booked a Ryanair flight on Monday from Dusseldorf to London.

On the Internet, it says Dusseldorf when you book and when you pay.

However, when I get to Dusseldorf airport, the desk points out that Ryanair flies from Weeze. Weeze is 80 kilometres from Dusseldorf airport and unreachable from the real Dusseldorf airport except by taxi, which would cost you a lot more than the fare.

Hmmmm. Now it's true that on the Boarding Pass, which I only print at the airport, it says 'Weeze' - but kinda small and in brackets. And how's anyone to know that ain't Dusseldorf when Dusseldorf is writ large? Or that Weeze is a village 80k away?

Call me stupid? Well, you can call a lot of people stupid. I had a chat with information at Dusseldorf and they told me around 60 people a day end up there on a fool's errand. They are so ticked off with Ryanair that they have taken Ryanair to court three times for misusing the name of Dusseldorf airport. Somehow, though, they have managed to lose this case. In passsing, they mentioned that Ryanair's 'Frankfurt' airport is 120k from Frankfurt.

Needless to say, since Ryanair ticks off over 400 passengers a week, its German customer service number doesn't work and you can only complain by post or fax.

All good stuff, doncha think.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2010/09/28/04015-20100928ARTFIG00711-ryanair-prepare-son-depart-de-marseille.php

Le Figaro today

Ryanair prepares its departure from Marseille

Ryanair is going to leave Marseille because of forgetting to pay airport taxes and using non declared workers ie working on the side

Its a threat says there leader in Ireland they also threaten to make a 120 local workers unemployed

I like the readers comments

They can get stuffed we are better off without them

What do trading standards say? This sounds like misrepresentation surely not?

Pretty certain this all happened a few years back. Result was they are a bit more obvious on their web site and tickets about the actual destination. IIRC.

They do actually tell you the score. May not be shoved right in your face though. Plenty of other companies do similar.

I just looked at the website and it clearly says Dusseldorf (Weeze).

The OP should have been a bit more careful IMO. A destination followed by (xxx) surely tells you something to look into a bit more..:ph34r:

That's nothing. Ryanair flies to "Oslo Torp" despite Torp airport being 110km south of Oslo. And there's no train link. If there's an airport further from its destination I'd love to know. Admittedly "Frankfurt Hahn" airport is 124km from Frankfurt but at least there is a train link.

When they used to fly into Amsterdam, you had a taxi (on the plane) into the Schipol that was longer than the ******ing flight.

Ah, yes, the 30 minute taxi off the Polderbaan runway. You can't even see the airport buildings from there - they're not small and the Netherlands is rather flat.

Plate techtonics!

Northampton is a long way from Southampton nowadays! :blink:

We should ALL be more careful.

Lying cheating and stealing (or riding the line/pushing every envelope) is an acceptable way for companies to make money today.

Pretty certain this all happened a few years back. Result was they are a bit more obvious on their web site and tickets about the actual destination. IIRC.

They do actually tell you the score. May not be shoved right in your face though. Plenty of other companies do similar.

I just looked at the website and it clearly says Dusseldorf (Weeze).

The OP should have been a bit more careful IMO. A destination followed by (xxx) surely tells you something to look into a bit more..:ph34r:

You're right of course. Actually, now I think about it, I linked through from Skyscanner, so the Weeze was not obvious. Even so, I had just been to Cologne airport - which was in Cologne - and previously to both Berlin airports - which are in Berlin. So they caught me off guard.

I have now looked at the Ryanair site and notice that it says, 'Girona (Barcelona)' - not the other way around. This should be the format. The same must go for Brussels (Charleroi) . . . though a mere 55k distant.

The Trading Standards Authority says a product must be 'as described'. My ticket says Dusseldorf in huge letters. I think it's an offence.

I think it's an offence.

I agree. It's what big corporations do.

What you have to remember is that the Ryanair business model would include the concept that they probably lose 10% of their customers every year. People like you.

However, they also expect to gain new ones because of their headline prices.

I've never flown with them and never intend to.

Call me stupid, but I booked a Ryanair flight on Monday from Dusseldorf to London.

Ryanair's business model appears to be treat the customer as the enemy.

I've reduced my dealings with corporations to the bare minimum, but I have noticed that in the last decade or so it has become almost impossible to get through to someone senior - they hide behind the general inquiry lines and receptionists who will not divulge contact names and often seem amazed that anyone would feel they have the right to speak to someone in the company who might actually give a ******.

How far away from Central London are Luton, Stansted and Gatwick, for comparison purposes, though?

Stansted is quite a drive...... must be 35 miles, 40 miles maybe from central London to that airport.

Glasgow (Prestwick) another 40km

To be fair though, there is an direct train link that gets your from that airport to central glasgow in 45 minutes.

To be fair though, there is an direct train link that gets your from that airport to central glasgow in 45 minutes.

Which cannot be said for Glasgow International :(

I thought it was common knowledge that Ryanair did this. I always check the small print when using them. When I flew to Denmark, the airport was so far from Copenhagen it was in another country! (Sweden).

laugh.gif

Anyway, Sweden's better than Denmark biggrin.gif

I thought it was common knowledge that Ryanair did this. I always check the small print when using them. When I flew to Denmark, the airport was so far from Copenhagen it was in another country! (Sweden).

Thanks for that. I shall include that gem in the 'strong letter' I am writing.

Whether it is 'common knowledge' or not . . . I don't think so. The fact that 400 passengers a week end up mistakenly at Dusseldorf airport instead of Ryanair's imaginary Dusseldorf, 80k away, suggests that it isn't.

To my mind, the Dusseldorf - Weeze description doesn't cut it either. Berlin Tegel is in Berlin, Brussels - Zaventem is in Brussels and Amsterdam - Schipol is still Amsterdam airport. Dusseldorf has only one airport, and it isn't Weeze.

It all reminds me a bit of the old Soviet Union, where many towns were deliberately drawn on maps hundreds of miles from where they really were.

Thanks for that. I shall include that gem in the 'strong letter' I am writing.

Whether it is 'common knowledge' or not . . . I don't think so. The fact that 400 passengers a week end up mistakenly at Dusseldorf airport instead of Ryanair's imaginary Dusseldorf, 80k away, suggests that it isn't.

To my mind, the Dusseldorf - Weeze description doesn't cut it either. Berlin Tegel is in Berlin, Brussels - Zaventem is in Brussels and Amsterdam - Schipol is still Amsterdam airport. Dusseldorf has only one airport, and it isn't Weeze.

It all reminds me a bit of the old Soviet Union, where many towns were deliberately drawn on maps hundreds of miles from where they really were.

It suggests something to me..rolleyes.gif

I just had another look at the site.

Lets have a think about this. Ryanair can only be booked online. The website has easy to see buttons with airport destination and common travel questions. These both take you into the destination guide where it clearly tells you the airport is 70k from Dusseldorf and explains how to transit.

It is not hidden. It is not in secret code. It is there for you to see. When you are booking the destination it also quite clearly tells you that this flight is not a simple 'Dusseldorf' flight. Hence the brackets and the different name after it.

400 people ending up there every week and thinking they will be somewhere else ? This tells me that 400 people didn't bother to check the details of the flight they were booking.....

If I was getting a train or bus to London I would take a few minutes on their website to work out where I would be arriving.

If you don't bother to do this with a flight to another country ? You have zero right to complain IMO.

I get a funny feeling the above will be pretty similar to the response you get from Ryanair laugh.gif

PS - They used to be out of order with their website. That is why, IIRC, they were ordered to change it and they now have.

It suggests something to me..rolleyes.gif

I just had another look at the site.

Lets have a think about this. Ryanair can only be booked online. The website has easy to see buttons with airport destination and common travel questions. These both take you into the destination guide where it clearly tells you the airport is 70k from Dusseldorf and explains how to transit.

It is not hidden. It is not in secret code. It is there for you to see. When you are booking the destination it also quite clearly tells you that this flight is not a simple 'Dusseldorf' flight. Hence the brackets and the different name after it.

400 people ending up there every week and thinking they will be somewhere else ? This tells me that 400 people didn't bother to check the details of the flight they were booking.....

If I was getting a train or bus to London I would take a few minutes on their website to work out where I would be arriving.

If you don't bother to do this with a flight to another country ? You have zero right to complain IMO.

I get a funny feeling the above will be pretty similar to the response you get from Ryanair laugh.gif

PS - They used to be out of order with their website. That is why, IIRC, they were ordered to change it and they now have.

I don't really believe in the 'blame the customer for their stupidity' mantra.

It didn't, but it does now. Thanks

And, after looking at the web site it really is very, very clear where the airport is.

Copydude - mate you mad, I understand, but don't embarrass yourself further by putting in writing what a legendary ******wit you've been. :P

London Manston must be about 80km from London too.

Is it called that just so they can say London has XXX more airports than NYC so therefore its better?

London Oxford is about 100km from London, and about 12km from Oxford. It is actually quicker to travel from Birmingham to London than it is to travel from Kidlington.

London Manston must be about 80km from London too.

They don't call it that any more, it's called Kent International Airport nowadays, London Manston Airport Plc went into liquidation about five years ago.