House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bogbrush

Scientology On Panorame Tonight

What a strange bunch! They believe we are all aliens trapped in human form and that we have previous existences in extraterrestrial environments.

Apparantly if you fall out of this Church they cut you off from them.

Mad.

It's a relief that most people believe in completely sensible stuff like a guy who got killed and came back to life, and this guy was born to a woman who never had sex, or all the other really sensible stuff that is covered by established religion. Those religions would never consider doing bad stuff to anyone who didn't believe them, like consigning them to Hell, burning or stoning them and that sort of thing.

Im a Thetan, but my engrams are out of control and I need to get a mortgage to have them Audited.

Jehovers Witnesses also "shun" ex members...including husbands and wives.

Its Ok to mix with non members though...logic breakdown.

Someone on this site once said Scientology was not a religion, just an organisation rich people use as a tax / money-laundering facility.

They are terribly misrepresented then. ;)

Years ago I was approached in the street by scientologists.

They asked me if I wanted a personality test.

I said: "No thanks. I already have one."

(I know, I know - but it was instant reaction)

What a strange bunch! They believe we are all aliens trapped in human form and that we have previous existences in extraterrestrial environments.

Apparantly if you fall out of this Church they cut you off from them.

Mad.

It's a relief that most people believe in completely sensible stuff like a guy who got killed and came back to life, and this guy was born to a woman who never had sex, or all the other really sensible stuff that is covered by established religion. Those religions would never consider doing bad stuff to anyone who didn't believe them, like consigning them to Hell, burning or stoning them and that sort of thing.

I've never managed to get my head round this "virgin" Mary thing. Doesn't the Bible she she had a husband?

What a scary organisation.

They were using mind games to try and convince the presenter that he was going mad, and remarkably they were having some success. I guess their techniques are easily exposed though once you know what's going on, which is why they try and insulate their members from the outside world.

A weird and horrible bunch of crooks.

Most people need a reason to live. For some it is children. Others it is drugs. Many it is religion. They just need a reason to 'exist'. I don't think Scientology is any different. It is just newer.

I do not need an 'important' reason to exist. I just do. We are nothing. Everyone is nothing. I exist to have fun. The sooner people accept this the better everything becomes.

This vid is cracking in visualising how unimportant we all are.

Most people need a reason to live. For some it is children. Others it is drugs. Many it is religion. They just need a reason to 'exist'. I don't think Scientology is any different. It is just newer.

I do not need an 'important' reason to exist. I just do. We are nothing. Everyone is nothing. I exist to have fun. The sooner people accept this the better everything becomes.

Religion uses fear or reward, when you die, and it preys on weak willed people. If you don't follow certain "rules" in life, you will be punished (or rewarded) in death...Utterly pathetic...I currently volunteer for a Christian organisation, and the more and more I think about it, the more I see religion is a load of cobblers...I had enough of religion whilst being at school, but I like what the organisation does, but I am not at all involved in the religious side.. Religious perhaps gives some people, a sense of community (and a crutch), but on the other side, its got its dangerous brain washing side..

I've never managed to get my head round this "virgin" Mary thing. Doesn't the Bible she she had a husband?

Virgin birth was common in biblical times (for example, the Vestal Virgins were an hereditary order). It only became special/miraculous as the word "virgin" took on its modern religiously-inspired meaning.

Virgin birth was common in biblical times (for example, the Vestal Virgins were an hereditary order). It only became special/miraculous as the word "virgin" took on its modern religiously-inspired meaning.

Due to Mr.Branson, and his divine jumper? :huh:

And the idea of deities hanky-panky-ing with mortals was nothing new 2000 years ago, either. The old Greek/Roman gods were fond of a bit of dalliance with earthlings, though it wasn't from any higher motives like saving mankind - merely because they fancied them.

Don't think they were married yet..

You can imagine the scene:

'Joseph: Dear mary, I've noticed you keep throwing up and, verily, compulsively eating ever since you went to that stoning party. Are thou up the duff?'

Mary: 'Errmmm.. yes, but it's not what you think, it was god. Honest. (crosses fingers)

Jospeh: 'Oh, that's OK then. Better start a new religion.'

And it all kind of spiraled from there.

Don't think they were married yet..

You can imagine the scene:

'Joseph: Dear mary, I've noticed you keep throwing up and, verily, compulsively eating ever since you went to that stoning party. Are thou up the duff?'

Mary: 'Errmmm.. yes, but it's not what you think, it was god. Honest. (crosses fingers)

Jospeh: 'Oh, that's OK then. Better start a new religion.'

And it all kind of spiraled from there.

no. an angel came to Joseph separately and told him and promised him a long line of descendants if he married the girl...who was also told that God would make her pregnant...no shagging needed....he is god after all.

Top vid......nice find.

It was a mis-translation.

I'm a bit hazy on the detail but the original Hebrew text used a word that merely meant "young woman" but by being translated into greek then latin it became the modern word.

A quick look on wiki:

The Gospel of Matthew describes Mary as a virgin who fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah 7:14. The Hebrew word almah that appears in this verse, and the Greek word parthenos that Jews used to translate it in the Greek Septuagint that Matthew quotes here, have been the subjects of dispute for almost two millennia, since almah simply means young woman, rather than virgin (in Hebrew, the word betulah would be an unambiguous translation).

Edit:

I think there are similar explanations for some other biblical miracles: "walked on water" was a translation of a text that said "by water"

It was a mis-translation.

I'm a bit hazy on the detail but the original Hebrew text used a word that merely meant "young woman" but by being translated into greek then latin it became the modern word.

A quick look on wiki:

Edit:

I think there are similar explanations for some other biblical miracles: "walked on water" was a translation of a text that said "by water"

I think that explanattion's quite widely believed.

Still, a lot of Jesus' supposed miracles see him exorcising daemons out of people and in my favourite he 'heals' a madman, condemns the demons into a herd oof pigs, which then helpfully drown themselves in a lake.

I think that's far less likely to be the result of mistranslation and more likely the result that what people then believed was absolute ********. Indeed many still do believe this stuff.

That's a bit of a rubbish miracle isn't it? What next, the Feeding of the Five? Turning wine into water? Bringing Lazarus back from a nap?

She didn't have a husband as such they were only engaged or betrothed, whatever. She got pregnant and came up with this "holy spirit" story. I think the truly remarkable part of the story is that she actually got away with it and millions believed her. The oddest part of the story is that no-one else has ever got away with it.