Pent Up

Nuclear Bunker For 20K Anyone?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27950908.html

Key features:

* Royal Observer Corps Post/Blunker

* Approximately 80 foot by 60 foot

Full description:

Tenure: Freehold

The site is approached via a right of way from Goat Lodge Road down Scripps Farm track.

The accommodation consists of a single room plus lobby area measuring approximately 4.6m x 2.2m.

There are no services connected.

The site will be sold subject to covenant prohibiting use for telecommunications.

Saw this as a new listing yesterday, although with Dedman Gray auctions instead so looks like they have changed agents.

I visited one of these last winter in Ongar (I think I even posted the pics on here maybe OT? can't remember what thread) and at the time looked up others in the area. I found this one on a forum for enthusiats for such things (can't remember which one) and someone on there said they visited this one several years ago and found it locked up. So they went to the farmhouse nearby and the little old lady who lived their owned it, her husband, who since died, bought the land back off the MOD when it was decommisioned. The guy said that the little old lady told him she was interested in selling it. (he couldn't remember how much for) I'd say the little old lady has now popped her cloggs and her estate is being sold up.

Could be a deal to be done for a tin hat wearing HPC'er needing somewhere safe to stash their gold and baked beans...?

My first job between school and university was packing the three-man rations for these places. I got to see all the regional command centres, which were all fully working at the time. Very interesting.

My first job between school and university was packing the three-man rations for these places. I got to see all the regional command centres, which were all fully working at the time. Very interesting.

The pictures would suggest that there is some sort ofv ventilation for an underground structure. Would the structure shown just be a sort of gatehouse/guardhouse?

The pictures would suggest that there is some sort ofv ventilation for an underground structure. Would the structure shown just be a sort of gatehouse/guardhouse?

The structure you can see is just a small raised entrance hatch. The internal pics are underground.

there's one like this just by Dent station in North Yorkshire (highest altitude mainlione station in England)

I recall it was sold or for sale a few years ago

you could build a fantastic heathery garden around it, but it's nowhere near the pub, unless a 25 minute 1000 foot climb up a steep road in one of the coldest wettest parts of the country takes your fancy after closing time - compensation being that said pub is one of the finest boozers in Christendom (the Sportsman)

Edited by Si1

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27950908.html

Key features:

* Royal Observer Corps Post/Blunker

* Approximately 80 foot by 60 foot

Full description:

Tenure: Freehold

The site is approached via a right of way from Goat Lodge Road down Scripps Farm track.

The accommodation consists of a single room plus lobby area measuring approximately 4.6m x 2.2m.

There are no services connected.

The site will be sold subject to covenant prohibiting use for telecommunications.

Saw this as a new listing yesterday, although with Dedman Gray auctions instead so looks like they have changed agents.

I visited one of these last winter in Ongar (I think I even posted the pics on here maybe OT? can't remember what thread) and at the time looked up others in the area. I found this one on a forum for enthusiats for such things (can't remember which one) and someone on there said they visited this one several years ago and found it locked up. So they went to the farmhouse nearby and the little old lady who lived their owned it, her husband, who since died, bought the land back off the MOD when it was decommisioned. The guy said that the little old lady told him she was interested in selling it. (he couldn't remember how much for) I'd say the little old lady has now popped her cloggs and her estate is being sold up.

Could be a deal to be done for a tin hat wearing HPC'er needing somewhere safe to stash their gold and baked beans...?

When the next economic collapse happens - A Nuclear Bunker with a long food supply may be the best place to be.

www.subbrit.org.uk Subterranea Britannica. Well worth a visit if you are into bunkers and abandoned mines.

Edited by pl1

It's a great ruse by the army/Govt - they sell off land/building they prob. took from someone else in wartime, then get someone to buy it & look after it until they may need it again in the future!

Knock on door at any time they choose >

"Sorry Sir/Madam you have 2 hrs to collect some belongings and get your family out - we need this for military use"

You can tell this coz they leave the runway strips intact when airfields are closed and turned into small unit Industrial estates etc! Easy to convert the buildings back to military use.

Edited by erranta

How far are these things underground?

There is a shaft that goes down from the opening for about 15 feet. Usually, they are very damp or full of water. Three people would be expected to live in it for up to a month while reporting on radiation levels, explosions etc.

Many of these bunkers are burnt out, underwater and abandoned.

Use the SubBrit link in the post above to locate all the bunkers within your immediate vicinity. Visit each in turn and it is immediately apparent which of them are owned / used. Choose the best abandoned bunker in your area and whack a big padlock on the hatch. Any future visitors will assume that the bunker is owned and leave it alone.

That's what I did and it is still intact, with my padlock on it, 4 years later.

Save yourself 20K.

FD

PS. There is a useful google Earth download somewhrere on SubBrit that will pin all bunkers in the Uk, a quick visit to SubBrit's bunker inspection / visits page will tell you which one's are unoccupied.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Many of these bunkers are burnt out, underwater and abandoned.

Use the SubBrit link in the post above to locate all the bunkers within your immediate vicinity. Visit each in turn and it is immediately apparent which of them are owned / used. Choose the best abandoned bunker in your area and whack a big padlock on the hatch. Any future visitors will assume that the bunker is owned and leave it alone.

That's what I did and it is still intact, with my padlock on it, 4 years later.

Save yourself 20K.

FD

PS. There is a useful google Earth download somewhrere on SubBrit that will pin all bunkers in the Uk, a quick visit to SubBrit's bunker inspection / visits page will tell you which one's are unoccupied.

Which one did you put a padlock on? The one I visited in ongar had a chain and a padlock over the hatch so it looks locked but you just need slide the chain off. Keeps the chavs out.

I'll have to have a dig to see if I can find the old thread I posted the pics on.

Over 1500 of these were built during and after the cold war many are in nice places, i have been down a couple and would not like to live or holiday in one as some sales pitchs have sugested.

Very true. Let's face it, 20K is abit rich for a cold war relic that you will only really use as a bolt-hole if the unimaginable should happen.

This is precisely why so many bunkers have been filled in, vandalised or abandoned, very few people have any interest in them.

A fact that can be used to your advantage if you are one of the few that are interested.

FD

You can tell this coz they leave the runway strips intact when airfields are closed and turned into small unit Industrial estates etc! Easy to convert the buildings back to military use.

So that is why they dug up the runway at Greenham Common, the longest runway in Europe?