House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Are Hpcrs Still Considered Evil?

my family think I am, I let slip my opinions, brother is upsizing to new home using mum's money, I said something...

any other anecdotes of sheeple attitudes towards those outside the matrix?

my family think I am, I let slip my opinions, brother is upsizing to new home using mum's money, I said something...

Heretics are never popular. At least they haven't organised a public burning using green wood (though the thought may have crossed their minds!).

http://www.bcbsr.com/topics/servetus.html

I get this feeling from my peers. There are now only two kinds of people as far as I can tell - those who are 'in' on the credit boom/property ponzi scheme and those who are 'out'

my mum just 'proved' house prices only ever go up because they bought theirs in 1970 for £6000

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just the banks sucking more wealth from those that are foolish enough to part with it. I trust your Mum has given you an equal amount to purchase precious metals with instead?

As for my experience, exactly the same, no one wants to hear bad news, shoot the messenger and all that. Have actually had fingers in the ear moments from my own parents who refuse to listen to the fact that things might actually be a lot worse than they imagine, they've even shouted me down, despite the fact my dad's job is hanging by a thread. They just don't want to listen. So while they've been losing money thanks to inflation and their pensions and stocks look very precarious, I've made a 27% return on precious metals and can't wait to use it to help me buy my dream home when the crash plays out (that's if I don't need to use the money to bail them out -FFS!).

Edited by General Congreve

Just the banks sucking more wealth from those that are foolish enough to part with it. I trust your Mum has given you an equal amount to purchase precious metals with instead?

no, my family are strictly bandwagon chasers, stable doors etc

to be honest, I put every single spare f*cking penny I had into tangible mining and general stocks over last few years on the basis that my family would take pity and cover any medium-term cash needs, I pushed the concept past them about money for investing at the bottom 2 years ago and my dad called me a damned fool

As for my experience, exactly the same, no one wants to hear bad news, shoot the messenger and all that. Have actually had fingers in the ear moments from my own parents who refuse to listen to the fact that things might actually be a lot worse than they imagine, they've even shouted me down, despite the fact my dad's job is hanging by a thread. They just don't want to listen. So while they've been losing money thanks to inflation and their pensions and stocks look very precarious, I've made a 27% return on precious metals and can't wait to use it to help me buy my dream home when the crash plays out

indeed

(that's if I don't need to use the money to bail them out -FFS!).

indeed.

interestingly, my brother's father in law is an insurance salesman and is advising him on property investment, which means I am doubly wrong now.

I argued the toss wih him a year ago (insurance salesman father in law) and he couldn't do basic yield calculations - any income on properdie makes it a tangible investment in his opinion- he actually walked out of the room mid-argument muttering to himself halfway thru the discussion

Edited by Si1

As for my experience, exactly the same, no one wants to hear bad news, shoot the messenger and all that. Have actually had fingers in the ear moments from my own parents who refuse to listen to the fact that things might actually be a lot worse than they imagine, they've even shouted me down, despite the fact my dad's job is hanging by a thread. They just don't want to listen. So while they've been losing money thanks to inflation and their pensions and stocks look very precarious, I've made a 27% return on precious metals and can't wait to use it to help me buy my dream home when the crash plays out (that's if I don't need to use the money to bail them out -FFS!).

Why not just buy their house off the bank at a rock bottom price when it all goes wrong?

Edited by Stop The Ride

Why not just buy their house off the bank at a rock bottom price when it all goes wrong?

the trouble with this - large house price falls may come in REAL but not nominal terms and my sheeple family won't understand this, once inflation becomes and issue other peoples' wealth gains (or rather real wealth protection) become voodoo and you start to look even more evil when you have gained so much compared to cash and houses.

Edited by Si1

It is truly a no win situation. If you are right, you will be seen to be the reason for the HPCs, ie "people like you made house prices crash". Witness people blaming the banks for not lending more. :ph34r:

I have never pursued a convincing agenda with any friends or family, I just let them dig their own hole. It takes too much energy and adds bitterness to relationships. Much better to find out what the latest X-factor gossip is. I also have no intention of bailing anyone out with my money. In the worse case scenario they can kip in the shed and tend to the garden as payment.

It is truly a no win situation. If you are right, you will be seen to be the reason for the HPCs, ie "people like you made house prices crash". Witness people blaming the banks for not lending more. :ph34r:

I have never pursued a convincing agenda with any friends or family, I just let them dig their own hole. It takes too much energy and adds bitterness to relationships. Much better to find out what the latest X-factor gossip is. I also have no intention of bailing anyone out with my money. In the worse case scenario they can kip in the shed and tend to the garden as payment.

Well, I can't see why we would be considered at all evil.

It is truly a no win situation. If you are right, you will be seen to be the reason for the HPCs, ie "people like you made house prices crash". Witness people blaming the banks for not lending more.  :ph34r:

Afraid I have to agree - after doing this over the years I have decided to stop as it only ruins relationships even if you are trying to do people a favour. Recently, and unusually, I have had four sets of friends/family look to upgrade. They are all looking at buying £800k+ properties. They are all selling £500k-ish properties. Correction, they have all actually sold (2 sold, 2 subject to contract) them within 2 weeks of putting them on the market this month. Only one of those is going into rented, the others are all taking on mega mortgages. They are bright people in their 40s with good jobs (actually, of the 4 families, only one has two working parents, the others it's just the husband earning). I just don't think these people think about the market too much - they just think they want a bigger house, prices haven't really gone down, and they perceive their jobs as secure (none are public sector, none in the City). It would scare the hell out of me (which is funny, because I'm self-employed and am starting another new business and they see me as a risk-taker), but that much debt in this housing environment in this economy! Still, I now know that all I can really do is visit their new houses, say how nice it is, and never mention house prices to them.

I was chatting about house price falls in the pub yesterday (in particular valuing places locally in terms of rental yield), we were laughing at how over priced it all is and the troubles ahead in the rental market (HB cuts).

A man shot me the dirtiest look when he left the pub.

My favourite is my friend who mentioned to her pal who had just bought a flat (at peak), that the value would probably fall. She said her friend looked at her 'like I had called her mother a whore'.

I only share my views with those who are like minded these days - or those who really want to know my views. Learned not to challenge those who are still firmly wedded to the fantasy that house prices only go up - normally folks who seem to consider reading the business section of a newspaper something for those with perverse tastes in how to spend their lunchtime. Unbelievable the number of folks who know full well the ecomony is in the **** big time - but think house prices are somehow totally detached from all that.

I was chatting about house price falls in the pub yesterday (in particular valuing places locally in terms of rental yield), we were laughing at how over priced it all is and the troubles ahead in the rental market (HB cuts).

how do you find these people to speak of such things to in the pub?

my partner understands my views and, being bright and numerate herself, has analysed the numbers with me and goes with my strategy

a mutual friend, a 30 y.o. solicitor, alsogets the logic, doesn't pro-actively argue on the subject but 'gets' my POV and is also waiting on house prices

but that's it.

Edited by Si1

a-ha - I saw a few quotes from 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions', cover it very well:

• "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
  • "Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome."

Well, I can't see why we would be considered at all evil.

You may have never lent any desperate friends or family money. Giving, oh sorry, lending money to people close to you is worse than setting fire to it. Trust me, offering them a place to kip and a few jobs to do around the house is much better for their sanity and your relationship.

Clicked Anecdotals for the precise purpose of starting a thread like this. Very interesting to read it, after the weekend visit from friends I've just had. A very definite negative vibe from the couple after a number of conversations about property and the economy generally. One topic we didn't discuss, however, was his recent purchase of his now deceased mother's council house, via Thatcher's right to buy scheme. Not sure it was ever intended for existing home-owners to buy them up cheap to rent out for profit, but I didn't feel inclinded to torpedo the friendship entirely by bringing that up...

Something about the weekend reminded me of that scene in The Mummy where the heroine's brother disguises himself by joining a crowd moronically chanting "Imhotep! Imhotep!" Maybe my friends would like me more if I gave up thinking and just started marching toward the cliff-edge chanting "You can't go wrong with bricks and mortar, you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar...."

A man shot me the dirtiest look when he left the pub.

My favourite is my friend who mentioned to her pal who had just bought a flat (at peak), that the value would probably fall. She said her friend looked at her 'like I had called her mother a whore'.

A back of the net moment! Love it.

After year of being sick of hearing these tossers launching verbal boasts across bars and restaruants with their grand design tittle tattle i know take great pleasure in having a good old shake down of the economy,banks,housing when these folk are in ear shot - Ilkley with my old man is a great location, you can see the MEW'd fear dripping from their furrowed brows!

That said i do not bother saying anything to friends - they don't want to listen to bad news and it ain't worth risking good friendships over. The ladder climbing, debt monkeys on the other hand are fair game for a few verbal HPC grenades.

We sold this time last year, and went into rented. Our friends couldn't believe that in a "rising market" we were going to rent rather than buy and rather smugly told us that we would "miss the boat" and be priced out of the market. I must admit I did worry when prices did, indeed, keep rising for a few months. Funny, we don't discuss house prices when we meet anymore........

how do you find these people to speak of such things to in the pub?

my partner understands my views and, being bright and numerate herself, has analysed the numbers with me and goes with my strategy

a mutual friend, a 30 y.o. solicitor, alsogets the logic, doesn't pro-actively argue on the subject but 'gets' my POV and is also waiting on house prices

but that's it.

I know a lot of renters and people in housing associations. we are free to speak of these things!

We sold this time last year, and went into rented. Our friends couldn't believe that in a "rising market" we were going to rent rather than buy and rather smugly told us that we would "miss the boat" and be priced out of the market. I must admit I did worry when prices did, indeed, keep rising for a few months. Funny, we don't discuss house prices when we meet anymore........

Imagine being in the lifeboat with all those on the sinking ship yelling "you're missing the boat". If they could see in the darkness, the quizzical look on your face...

Imagine being in the lifeboat with all those on the sinking ship yelling "you're missing the boat". If they could see in the darkness, the quizzical look on your face...

Unfortunately the band on the Titanic is still playing and people are still waltzing to its tune. Women and children will not be spared when this sucker goes down.

Unfortunately the band on the Titanic is still playing and people are still waltzing to its tune. Women and children will not be spared when this sucker goes down.

I agree. Those who are close to you, try to explain to them how bad things are globally and locally, but dont whatever you do point out their own ******wittedness. No faster way to upset loved ones. I use examples of 'friends' - made up ones - as case studies of how exposed they were to a job loss/illness etc. It's all about planting the seeds in their minds, not trying to transplate a full grown oak.

example - my sister was looking to take the kids away on an expensive trip, largely on credit. gave her an example of a mate who'd lost his job and within a month couldn't pay the bills...wasn't it terrible etc etc how not having 6 months bills-worth savings almost killed his marriage.

trip cancelled. result.

Have a look at the comments sections on newspapers, especially more local ones, when it comes to property stories.

Massive change in the last 2 or so years. People like us are more like the norm today.