House Price Crash Forum

Commuters Go Camping To Avoid High Rents

muggle

HOLA441

Renting a room doesnt attract council tax other than if the occuapancy changes from 1 to 2. Then the loss to the live in landlord is the 25% single persons discount.

A camp site will be subject to Business rates which will utimately be reflected in the pitch fee.

Camping / caravanning is fun in summer. In January NFW!

Didn't you go abroad yet Kurt?

HOLA442

Where do you think this is? France, this is the UK camping is EXPENSIVE in the UK too! Firstly you have to join their club to be allowed to use their site. Typical rates are 10-20... As a biker I've turned up at many camp sites only to be told to get lost because I refuse to join their club...but have a look around Surrey campsites are £10 per person per night then you get a pitching fee then a £5 daiy storage fee then 50p per minute to use their showers. Then £3 a day to use their WIFI. You want a beer? They jack the prices up so £5 a bottle is typical. You want electricity? You pay about 50p per kwh.

So don't kid yourself if you've never done it!

It's a pound...

Carry_On_Camping_01.jpg

HOLA443

Didn't you go abroad yet Kurt?

7 days and counting Mr. Pin! Its currently 39 degrees where I am heading....

All last minute fun. Have had the house on the market but only offers at which I would rather keep the house and rent it out. SO the rental agent gets the go ahead tomorrow. The rent after costs will cover the small mortgage 3x over so no major worries B) .

HOLA444

Yes, but that still means that a pitch will be cheaper and there are no "hidden" costs.

I agree that a tent is going to be no fun, but I think a camper van might not be so bad, especially since you will only be in it during the evening. I must say that if I had to work in London (or any other major city) during the week, a half decent camper van might not be such a bad option. You could easily find a cheap site outside of greater London but near an inter city train stop (like Stevenage) and have a shorter commute that many who live inside of greater London and pay dearly for the "privilege".

Don't forget the 30 quid a week for propane to keep the caravan anywhere near warm ;)

HOLA445

Don't forget the 30 quid a week for propane to keep the caravan anywhere near warm ;)

Nah, just wrap up with a few layers and you'll be fine. If you're down there to work (and let's face it, that's the only reason I would be in greater London) I could work late and use my employer's heat and light + bill more hours, win:win:win!!

The more I think about it, the more I think a camper van makes sense - can also be used for cheap holidays, secure, no carrying bags full of gear and clothes on the train of the plane. Hmmmm, might need to start looking at 2nd hand options.

Archived