House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

muggle

Commuters Go Camping To Avoid High Rents

Commuters Go Camping To Avoid High Rents

Hard-pressed London commuters are increasingly turning to camping rather than paying exorbitant rents in the capital.

"Camping commuters" are pitching their tents or parking their caravans from Monday to Friday and retreating to more permanent homes at the weekends.

Lucy Boggis, from Chippenham in Wiltshire, said: "People think of it as a summer holiday in their little caravan, but as long as you've got a caravan that doesn't leak, you're as good as being in your bedroom at home.

Better known to some as Tempest from the Sky1 series Gladiators, the 21-year-old's campsite at Lee Valley Park in Edmonton, north London, is beside an athletics track where she is training to represent Britain at the 2012 Olympics.

Other residents include an IT contractor working in Canary Wharf and an urban planner for Hackney Council.

Prices do vary and Lee Valley Park is among the more expensive sites in London, with single campers paying midseason rates of £122.50 per week, including electricity.

However, that is still less than half the average weekly rent of £250 for a one-bedroom flat in London Zones 2 or 3, according to the accommodation website Outlet.

Campsite manager Rick Garvey said: "It's certainly a cheaper option. We do seasonal rates so obviously outside our high reason you can benefit from cheaper rates...

Sky News

This is starting to get interesting.

People can no longer afford to play the game, even if if they want to!

Sky News

This is starting to get interesting.

People can longer afford to play the game, even if if they want to!

It is as we have been saying for years - the UK is now a city state called London and most of us cannot afford to live there.

Better known to some as Tempest from the Sky1 series Gladiators, the 21-year-old's campsite at Lee Valley Park in Edmonton, north London, is beside an athletics track where she is training to represent Britain at the 2012 Olympics.

Other residents include an IT contractor working in Canary Wharf and an urban planner for Hackney Council.

Prices do vary and Lee Valley Park is among the more expensive sites in London, with single campers paying midseason rates of £122.50 per week, including electricity.

However, that is still less than half the average weekly rent of £250 for a one-bedroom flat in London Zones 2 or 3,

Um... Edmonton is in Zone 4, and the average weekly rent is certainly not £250, what a piece of p**s poor journalism.

They'd be better off renting a studio flat.

Um... Edmonton is in Zone 4, and the average weekly rent is certainly not £250, what a piece of p**s poor journalism.

Certainly is. Just across the water, in arguably better Walthamstow, you can rent a house for that.

You cetainly dont need to pay anwhere near that for a flat. Total garbage.

I used to play golf next to that site, and theres a ******ing great sewage works near there and it can get pretty ripe at cetain times.

However im a tight git and am self employed, i refuse to work extra days in London (on which i will pay more tax) to fund some BTLers pension.

SO i rent a room off of a friend. I opt for time off and low tax bills. Had 2 months off this summer without denting my bank balance. Im on a pay as you earn deal. It wont be forever.

I think most could afford more permanent accomodation but its a matter of making the commute pay.

All power to em.

For just Monday to Friday let I would just rent a room. My aunt has previous let her box room (single bed, wardrobe, drawers, and TV) for £80 a week and thats in a nice part of Enfield near the station.

Mon-fri lets suit many part time landlords because you get the prevacy of the home at the weekend.

i thought that £75 p/w would be around average for a room in loldon.

however, even though the £250 p/w price is bad journalism, so is the £122.50 for a camping pitch, it'd be £50. maybe a little less.

and if you commit to a long term pitch you'd probably get for as little as £30 a week (the article at least does mention off season). would the btl brigade negotiate a long term contract on the room? i think not.

however, even though the £250 p/w price is bad journalism, so is the £122.50 for a camping pitch, it'd be £50. maybe a little less.

and if you commit to a long term pitch you'd probably get for as little as £30 a week (the article at least does mention off season). would the btl brigade negotiate a long term contract on the room? i think not.

As I can't imagine there are many seasonal (holiday) licensed caravan sites in London I assume we are talking residential?

Anyone been on one of them? :ph34r:

Just a thought, but camping means you avoid paying council tax, whereas renting a flat or a room in one means you'll need to pay it.

Renting a room doesnt attract council tax other than if the occuapancy changes from 1 to 2. Then the loss to the live in landlord is the 25% single persons discount.

A camp site will be subject to Business rates which will utimately be reflected in the pitch fee.

Camping / caravanning is fun in summer. In January NFW!

The next step in urban camping vertical-urban-camping.jpgvertical urban camping.........................wouldn't want to be on the bottom after pub churing out time .....drunks trying to slither up 5 stories , then bursting for a piss in the middle of the night ....Gawd...... imagine if that they had had a brick lane curry too .................nah ... I'd rather get mugged

As I can't imagine there are many seasonal (holiday) licensed caravan sites in London I assume we are talking residential?

Anyone been on one of them? :ph34r:

Lee valley canal near me ..plenty of narrow boats on there Coincidently .............. I live near the hackney marshes end of the lee valley park , which is nearer the olympics end ...never ever seen a tent

Lee valley canal near me ..plenty of narrow boats on there Coincidently .............. I live near the hackney marshes end of the lee valley park , which is nearer the olympics end ...never ever seen a tent

My aunt has a pad in Enfield about 10 minutes walk from Enfield Town Station or 10 minutes bus ride to Oakwood.

Also has 3/4 acre garden - potential camp site????

You won't get much for £75pw, £90-100pw exc bills for a room in a shared house/flat in zones 2-3 is fairly typical. I guess it probably gets cheaper further out, never tried.

I go to the state of the art athletics stadium with my daughters once or twice a week and it has great facilities. The surrounding area is a complete dump, not a decent pub or restaurant for miles. Yes it stinks too.

BTW the athletes wno train there are the elite (gold medal winners) and you sometimes see them asleep in sleeping bags during the day around the corridors and track. Maybe they can't afford the camp site!

I read this as "Computers go camping" and was about to tell how i was once kept awake in Eskdale by a noisy party of drunken Commodore 64's and Dragon 32's. But then i realised it was "Commuters", so i didn't bother.

Renting a room doesnt attract council tax other than if the occuapancy changes from 1 to 2. Then the loss to the live in landlord is the 25% single persons discount.

A camp site will be subject to Business rates which will utimately be reflected in the pitch fee.

Yes, but that still means that a pitch will be cheaper and there are no "hidden" costs.

Camping / caravanning is fun in summer. In January NFW!

I agree that a tent is going to be no fun, but I think a camper van might not be so bad, especially since you will only be in it during the evening. I must say that if I had to work in London (or any other major city) during the week, a half decent camper van might not be such a bad option. You could easily find a cheap site outside of greater London but near an inter city train stop (like Stevenage) and have a shorter commute that many who live inside of greater London and pay dearly for the "privilege".

Its probably the people though. Id rather live in a leafy caravan site with other priced out commuters and holiday makers than in a studio flat in a block filled with housing benefit families.

I knew of a London contractor living in a stretched camper on a site in Windsor 10 years ago with full hookups next to a smart shower/sauna block.

£70/week out of Ltd's gross income IIRC.

Not priced out. Shrewd.

Where do you think this is? France, this is the UK camping is EXPENSIVE in the UK too! Firstly you have to join their club to be allowed to use their site. Typical rates are 10-20... As a biker I've turned up at many camp sites only to be told to get lost because I refuse to join their club...but have a look around Surrey campsites are £10 per person per night then you get a pitching fee then a £5 daiy storage fee then 50p per minute to use their showers. Then £3 a day to use their WIFI. You want a beer? They jack the prices up so £5 a bottle is typical. You want electricity? You pay about 50p per kwh.

So don't kid yourself if you've never done it!

I go to the state of the art athletics stadium with my daughters once or twice a week and it has great facilities. The surrounding area is a complete dump, not a decent pub or restaurant for miles. Yes it stinks too.

BTW the athletes wno train there are the elite (gold medal winners) and you sometimes see them asleep in sleeping bags during the day around the corridors and track. Maybe they can't afford the camp site!

The elite atheletes get plenty of practice running for their lives from gangs

I agree that a tent is going to be no fun, but I think a camper van might not be so bad, especially since you will only be in it during the evening. I must say that if I had to work in London (or any other major city) during the week, a half decent camper van might not be such a bad option. You could easily find a cheap site outside of greater London but near an inter city train stop (like Stevenage) and have a shorter commute that many who live inside of greater London and pay dearly for the "privilege".

You can camp in the winter fine, at the most basic you need a 4 season tent, then a real 4 season sleeping bag and a silk liner and an outer, this turns your sleeping bag into something fine for -10C. Back in the day we used to have an annual winter freeze up in Scotland people would ride bikes to Just south of Glasgow and camp in a field. The classic setup was a 4 season sleeping bag, silk liner cheap tent, bigger cheap tent and also a bivvy bag with a thick thermarest. It was absolutely boiling inside a 4 season sleeping bag inside a bivvy bag inside a tent which was inside a tent.

Though granted it was nice and snug to share such a set up with a girlie. B)

What a wonderful, prosperous age we live in.

People work 60+ hours a week, all to come home to a caravan. This is good how?

Or to paraphrase Mic Dundee..

"That's incredible. Imagine seven million people all wanting to live together. Yeah, London must be the friendliest place on earth. "

I don't know how you could live in a tent without feeling cold!

The fuel bills must be pretty high - or the fingers and toes numb. :)

There's only one emoticon for this communter-camping. :ph34r:

Not forgetting a great saving in commuting fares.

From Wednesday to Friday my boat is used by a commuter who works Wednesday to Friday in Norwich returning home on Saturday morning to Kent. Monday and Tuesday he works 2 days for another local company, and pays me £25 a day. ;)