House Price Crash Forum
CountryMove

One Million Pound Price Decrease

It's a new build, completed in 2007. How can anyone buy and live in such a palatial new build house and not feel guilty? When even starter home ownership in any half decent area is so unaffordable to so many younger people.

It's a new build, completed in 2007. How can anyone buy and live in such a palatial new build house and not feel guilty? When even starter home ownership in any half decent area is so unaffordable to so many younger people.

maybe they work their blollocks off and employ lots and lots of young people and pay them enough to buy a home, but who instead choose to spend their money on weekend narcissism. Plus, those people tend already to put a lot of money into local economies, and have probably paid a lot of the local people an awful lot of money in the building of it in the first place...... wouldn't you rather that people worked for their money than were just given it ?

Perhaps they should pay someone to beat them every morning to remind them just how guilty they should feel.

People can buy and live very well without feeling guilty at all..... in many cases, there is no reason to and they should not feel guilty.

maybe they work their blollocks off and employ lots and lots of young people and pay them enough to buy a home, but who instead choose to spend their money on weekend narcissism. Plus, those people tend already to put a lot of money into local economies, and have probably paid a lot of the local people an awful lot of money in the building of it in the first place...... wouldn't you rather that people worked for their money than were just given it ?

Perhaps they should pay someone to beat them every morning to remind them just how guilty they should feel.

People can buy and live very well without feeling guilty at all..... in many cases, there is no reason to and they should not feel guilty.

Yes I was tired when posting that back in September and the next day realised my post could be minterpreted. I've got no objection to wealth. Or to people spending their money how they want, without guilt.

In many instances purchases of 'dream" newbuild homes in desirable areas at today's asking prices require big borrowing as well. My main objection to newbuild mansions is we already have enough multi million pound mansions and homes in many desirable areas, when there are so many people people who can't afford a basic small home in the same areas. Have you seen the size of that newbuild house the thread began with? I'm not opening the Rightmove link again but it looks to be in a remote area and I don't know what the demand is like to live there, but in another area it could have been split in to 5 seperate large homes. It reminded me of the mansion still for sale at offers over £70m. The one which the Irish banks who bankrolled the building of it still haven't got their money back, as far as I'm aware because it is still for sale.

I'd prefer those who want mansion homes in desirable areas to fight it out for what is already on the market. To stop building more mansions to meet the demand for people who you say should be allowed to spend their money as they like, when so many people can't afford a small house in a decent area.

You know Hale and Hale Barns. I've seen your posts in that sub-section forum. Over the last 10 years they've built lots of newbuild mansion type houses on plots they could have comfortably built 2 or 3 decently sized homes. A section of the market might demand mansion size homes, but I'd prefer planning policy to be changed to allow those who don't have the money to spend, or who want to over-borrow to buy smaller newbuild homes. Even if smaller homes don't fit in with large houses already prevalant in an area. Going back a few years I know of one developer who was refused permission to build quite a few sizeable family homes on their plot, because planning wanted the site to have 2 newbuild mansions complete with cinemas and swimming pools. It's crazy to me.

I should have said I'd personally feel guilty buying that newbuild palace even if I could comfortably afford it, which I can't. And right or wrong, a depression isn't a good time to be flaunting conspicuous wealth. Hard economic times causes people to become irrational and attach blame and guilt at perhaps innocent people.

You might not feel guilty to have yourself and family poncing around in a newbuild palace like that but even if you've earned your money honestly, creating new jobs, perhaps other people who are hardup for money will irrationally believe you should feel guilty. I'm hearing of increases in petty thefts against larger properties in Hale such as finding their garages broken open and bikes and other items stolen at well to do looking big detached houses. The simplest thing a desperate person can do if they want money is to take it. Or take other items of value. I won't be putting myself in a position where it's suggestive I've got significant wealth to try and come and take. Crime and violence often pays even if people prefer to believe it doesn't. The main deterrent to crime and violence is the threat of being caught and punished, and cuts to policing budgets weakens the balance.

The palace style house in the first post on this thread is the house of a boom time fool. Palace newbuilds are out of fashion for the times we're going into. I'd bet it won't sell at anything near that asking price. It standing by itself in some remote hidden country area might help, but security would probably be a real concern. And those with wealth or even access finance which has been used to buy such houses in past years are less likely to blow £7m on a newbuild palace monstrosity of a house which is likely to lose a lot of value going forwards.

I feel a bit stupid for my rant above, some time ago. Oh well.

Rachman had been winding me up for ages on other threads.

It dropped off the market for ages, but the seller has re-emerged, and now it's up with 2 agents.

Coming down from their initial asking price of £8 million...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37768961.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23626950.html

I feel a bit stupid for my rant above, some time ago. Oh well.

Rachman had been winding me up for ages on other threads.

It dropped off the market for ages, but the seller has re-emerged, and now it's up with 2 agents.

Coming down from their initial asking price of £8 million...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37768961.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23626950.html

Yes, the price has dropped, but so has the number of acres. Was 266, now 150 so is it really a price drop as you're getting that much less land?

Edited by SaintJay