House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
doomwatch

Cirencester

Been watching the market in this little Cotswold market town for 18 months. Full of old true blue NIMBYs, very little development

of decent sized family homes. The only stuff developed is garden grabbed, so the "family homes" have very little garden space.

The asking prices seem to have actually gone up in the last 6 months, well above the 2007 peak !!!! Slightly suspicious ???

Been watching the market in this little Cotswold market town for 18 months. Full of old true blue NIMBYs, very little development

of decent sized family homes. The only stuff developed is garden grabbed, so the "family homes" have very little garden space.

The asking prices seem to have actually gone up in the last 6 months, well above the 2007 peak !!!! Slightly suspicious ???

One of my friends bought a 3 bedroom terraced house (victorian I believe) last year for 250K - needed to be practically gutted.

It's a lovely house though and in a good location.

There are some new houses being built right by the A419 - but I wouldn't want to live that close to a dual-carriageway.

Cheltenham is just the same, previous to the last 3 months actual sold prices are way above the sold prices of peak 2007 and I mean way above.

This area is popular with Londoners moving out when they have kids, the train from Kemble to London is about 1hour 20mins.

I can only assume that it is Londoners selling to all the foreign buyers, moving to the Cotswold and paying crazy prices.

One of my friends bought a 3 bedroom terraced house (victorian I believe) last year for 250K - needed to be practically gutted.

It's a lovely house though and in a good location.

There are some new houses being built right by the A419 - but I wouldn't want to live that close to a dual-carriageway.

OzzMosiz. Yeah, spotted that development just off the Tesco round-about. Not sure how people will be able to walk into town

from there though. The problem with Cirencester is that any decent land is "owned" by the landed gentry who only release the

cr ap stuff, drip drip to fund their piles and private schooling. Role on Land Value Tax.

At the end of the day Cirencester is a "nice" place to live, but has terrible facilities for young families, especially activities

for under 5s, even though the council tax is so high. So can't really see why the EAs think they can get away with over-valuing

properties by 12% (Berry Pishop) to 20% (Genly Heorge, Slutts & Parker).

I was looking in that area myself among other places. Would prefer to be in one of the villages rather than in Ciren itself. Maybe somewhere between there and Minch.

You have Chelt and Glos within easy access so there are decent facilities nearby and if you like rural living, the Cotswolds is fantastic.

Well I thought I'd answer myself on this as nobody else has much. There seemed to be even more madness before Xmas with 4 beds been

priced at 5 bed prices, and 3 beds at 4 bed prices i.e. 50-65k above reality.

However, post New Year, a lot of over-hang [that can't sell] from last year is starting to be marked down closer to reality, but

to new stuff is still been pushed out with daft asking prices, as I guess daft high valuations is the only way the local EAs can

win business.

Well, the last couple of days have been interesting. A lot of "over-hang" that's been on for more than 3 months

is this week been marked down by 5-10%. Must have had a 1st week in April cut off. New stuff on is still at silly prices though, apart

from Cain & Able, who mostly seem to be taking a more pragmatic approach to valuations, unless the vendor is totally deluded.

Well, the last couple of days have been interesting. A lot of "over-hang" that's been on for more than 3 months

is this week been marked down by 5-10%. Must have had a 1st week in April cut off. New stuff on is still at silly prices though, apart

from Cain & Able, who mostly seem to be taking a more pragmatic approach to valuations, unless the vendor is totally deluded.

The valuations of anything with 4 beds or more in the town centre are pretty deluded IMO.

Look at this!

http://www.hamptons.co.uk/en-gb/property-details/?propertyref=CIR110019

Yes--probably. Liz Hurley bought a house in one of the Cotswold villages and prices shot off about 20% in response. The Celeb factor has to be taken seriously.

She's selling now. She's the blonde-streaked covergirl in a barn, hay, check-shirt, jeans, wellies, on the front page of Sunday Times (01.06.2014) HOME supplement.

Bye-Bye Cotwolds.

After a decade in the glittering Gloucestershire countryside Elizabeth Hurley sells up for £6m.

Animal instinct. Hurley, 48, bought Ampney Knowle in 2003. The house is set amid 450 acres of farmland, on which she produced organic meat.

Elizabeth Hurley's house, a honey-hued manor deep in the countryside near Cirencester, was once a stop of a celebrity coach tour through the Cotswolds. For £8 a pop, day-trippers on the Jillywood Experience........... Ampney Knowle, home of Hurley, was the tour highlight. ..... Ever since 2003, when Elizabeth - never call her Liz - Hurley shelled out £3.3m for this dreamy stone property, set in 450 acres of farmland, she has been the queen of the celeb-crowded Cotswolds.

The six-bedroom house can be yours for £6m; a bluebell wood and 35 acres of farmland are available separately.

... Even though "every inch of the house and garden holds a happy memory", Hurley is selling up because she also owns Donnington Hall, a 13-bedroom estate in Ledbury, which she bought for £6m in 2012 with her former beau Shane Warne. .... Its most glamorous resident may be moving on, but the Cotswolds will always be Hurleywood.

Edited by Venger