House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zante

Welwyn Garden City Vs Hatfield

I've been looking at getting some property close to the University of Hertfordshire (Hatfield) as I'm doing an MA part-time and work there. The problem is that the prices around Hatfield are so steep and have little to offer in terms of areas without rape incidents and generally consisting of too many unruly students causing merry hell for the long term residents. 2 bedroom flats cost a lot here, people expecting you to pay 175k+ for a tiny shoebox. Welwyn Garden City is 10 minutes away by bus and has a lot more to offer. Nice areas, very green, good behaviour, more bang for buck etc...

Is there any reason, besides close proximity, for me to even consider buying in Hatfield? Place is confused and over-priced imho.

Edited by Zante

I've been looking at getting some property close to the University of Hertfordshire (Hatfield) as I'm doing an MA part-time and work there. The problem is that the prices around Hatfield are so steep and have little to offer in terms of areas without rape incidents and generally consisting of too many unruly students causing merry hell for the long term residents. 2 bedroom flats cost a lot here, people expecting you to pay 175k+ for a tiny shoebox. Welwyn Garden City is 10 minutes away by bus and has a lot more to offer. Nice areas, very green, good behaviour, more bang for buck etc...

Is there any reason, besides close proximity, for me to even consider buying in Hatfield? Place is confused and over-priced imho.

Used to visit both back in the day with my work. They both seemed like soulless hell holes to me. Best of luck.

Used to visit both back in the day with my work. They both seemed like soulless hell holes to me. Best of luck.

If you had to die in one of them, being eaten by a lion or something, which would you choose?

St Albans is an option though I don't like over corwded areas. :[

Edited by Zante

I lived in Hatfield for a few years and the noisy unruly ones were the students and housing benefit renters alway having parties, disrupting people's sleep. What I hate is the landlords cram a load of students/renters in a house and probably only pay one council tax. I think the residents are getting to breaking point and there will be a massive crack down on students there.

Edited by scrappycocco

I lived in Hatfield for a few years and the noisy unruly ones were the students and housing benefit renters alway having parties, disrupting people's sleep. What I hate is the landlords cram a load of students/renters in a house and probably only pay one council tax. I think the residents are getting to breaking point and there will be a massive crack down on students there.

It's already started but the problem will never be solved. The only way to fix Hatfield would be to price everyone out, maybe this is the start of that. I know some people think Welwyn is a bad area but I've seen some very nice places. Compared to Hatfield it seems like Heaven to me.

As long as they are all students they pay no council tax at all...

I cant believe you are comparing welwyn garden to hatfield.

One has an M&S and John Lewis, the other has Asda.

One has parks and tree lined streets, the other has a huge outlet centre.

One has a large woodland and a golf course in the centre of it, the other has a motorway running right through and under it.

Welwyn Garden is a safe ,decent, attractive area with lots of London commuter money affecting how it operates.

Hatfield is a depressing dole/ student dump.

It seems that the only place worth living in Hatfield is around the Salisbury village area. There's a business park, university, one of europe's largest gyms blah blah...

Problem is, the place is so over-priced that it's disgusting. Some 2 bedroom flats are up for close to 190k - and they are complete dumps.

I pulled out of a Welwyn Garden City purchase after plans to build a rubbish dump next to the residential area I was interested in were published.

I get the feeling that anyone buying anything in the UK suffers from a lack of information. All signs point to renting some shoebox for a low price and riding out this phase...

As many previous posters have alluded to, Hatfield defines the word sh*thole.

WGC is a fine place to die in, you won't notice when it happens. Kept nice and clean though.

St Albans is packed full of desperate wannabe's "living the dream" but sinking slowly under the weight of their debt.

Go to Hertford. It's a no brainer.

10 Min drive down the road but it's so much better than the others.

Go to Hertford. It's a no brainer.

10 Min drive down the road but it's so much better than the others.

Shope closing likje there is no tomorrow because politicians (obviously) made it impossible for entrepreneurs so it became a conclave of the same. Without diversity shoppers moved elsewhere.