House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Welsh Homes On The Market For Longer Than In Other Parts Of Uk

The monthly housing survey by Hometrack suggested Wales had the slowest turnover of property across the UK.

The study showed that the average price of a house in Wales was £119,800 and that Welsh properties achieve 91.4% of the asking price.

Houses in Wales are also on the market for longer than in other parts of the UK taking on average 12.6 weeks to sell compared to 8.6 weeks in the South West and 6.1 weeks in the London area.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/09/27/welsh-homes-on-the-market-for-longer-than-in-other-parts-of-uk-91466-27347272/#ixzz10iP3C8sO

Theres luvly!

:lol:

Edit:

Love to know where these houses that are taking 12 weeks to sell are - I am seeing many that have been on the market for years, often going from EA to EA.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

the thing is:

welsh properties were always cheaper than over the border in English Shropshire but the gap has closed thanks to the large number of public sector jobs in the principality and the 'lifestyle' choices of ex-urbanites who hanker after a 'bit of land for the ponies'.

the same thing has happened in Shropshire to country cottages and smallholdings.

reality of miles to go to the shops, a touch of cabin fever of the last long winter will have deterred many 'lifestyle' seekers.

Oh and the properties are overpriced as well. :rolleyes:

the thing is:

welsh properties were always cheaper than over the border in English Shropshire but the gap has closed thanks to the large number of public sector jobs in the principality and the 'lifestyle' choices of ex-urbanites who hanker after a 'bit of land for the ponies'.

the same thing has happened in Shropshire to country cottages and smallholdings.

reality of miles to go to the shops, a touch of cabin fever of the last long winter will have deterred many 'lifestyle' seekers.

Oh and the properties are overpriced as well. :rolleyes:

Mal Volio was telling me that the ludicrous house prices in Gloucs/Herefordshire/Worcester were now cheaper than the ludicrous Monmouth asking prices.

Yes, cabine fever and how far it is for a curry or anything puts most people off. Heck, I am looking at some houses just 3 miles from where I am now but the country roads, lack of broadband and often having to have stuff like oil heating is a maor turn-off. Oh, and seeing another human being now and then helps also.

laugh.gif

Edit:

Love to know where these houses that are taking 12 weeks to sell are - I am seeing many that have been on the market for years, often going from EA to EA.

Perhaps the EAs operate a 12 week rota system, so no house can be on the market longer than 12 weeks.

+1!

Well both me and a neighbour both sold in less than 12 weeks , in newport, and so did a lot of stuff in cardiff up to about £300k, at least up to when i stopped checking around july.

Edited by cardiffone

Well both me and a neighbour both sold in less than 12 weeks , in newport, and so did a lot of stuff in cardiff up to about £300k, at least up to when i stopped checking around july.

You were very lucky then - congrats. Heard both those cities are suffering now.

You were very lucky then - congrats. Heard both those cities are suffering now.

they were suffering then, just had houses on for decent prices , all those that didn't price well are still on sale.

they were suffering then, just had houses on for decent prices , all those that didn't price well are still on sale.

And that's 99% of them. I do hope they are storing up their Prozac scripts in the MEW belt between Swansea and Newport. There's going to be one hell of a rush for it when these lemmings are finally forced to confront the awful reality. I suspect that stocks are already under pressure.

And that's 99% of them. I do hope they are storing up their Prozac scripts in the MEW belt between Swansea and Newport. There's going to be one hell of a rush for it when these lemmings are finally forced to confront the awful reality. I suspect that stocks are already under pressure.

Bit of exaggeration there, I was in the market for buying and selling this year, bought and sold, and know there was plenty of buying and selling going on.

I had 5 offers on my house for a start, and a few houses we wanted where sold before we had a chance...

Definitely a lot of overpriced houses on in cardiff and newport but some reasonable ones too.

Mal Volio was telling me that the ludicrous house prices in Gloucs/Herefordshire/Worcester were now cheaper than the ludicrous Monmouth asking prices.

Yes, cabine fever and how far it is for a curry or anything puts most people off. Heck, I am looking at some houses just 3 miles from where I am now but the country roads, lack of broadband and often having to have stuff like oil heating is a maor turn-off. Oh, and seeing another human being now and then helps also.

It's coming gradually down but prices are still utterly absurd, and properties are selling sluggishly if they are not priced below market average here. I'd love to see a realistically priced house in Monmouthshire - be a real sign of progress. Notably in Monmouth town something like 6 shops\restaurants have closed down in the last 6 weeks: the money is retreating.