House Price Crash Forum
Save me from the madness!

Lack Of Personal Responsibility In The Uk

So I turn on the BBC news this morning and watch a couple of items:

• First one - Kids getting road safety lessons on how to drive their scooter safely at the local Primary school. Parent being interviewed said it was great as she use to be really worried when her little one scooted past driveways and across roads. What I don't understand is if she was worried, why didn't she teach the kid herself when she first started worrying instead of doing nothing until the state stepped in with an unusual activity?
  • Second one - NICE has proposed having a policy of paying people to lose weight / stop smoking (presumably the more extreme cases) after some members of the public suggested it. What? If someone needs paying to make a healthy lifestyle change does anyone really think they genuiely are interested in making a life long change?

Which came first, the Government treating the UK population like kids, or the UK population demanding to be treated like kids from its Government?

Is this the reason why we have such problems with House prices because a significant proportion take little responsibility and demand bailout funds for mortgage repayments (even though interest rates are at the lowest rate ever), Banks can't be exposed to the downside of a market and demand bailouts, benefit scroungers demanding their full 'rights' to a big house and loads of money because, "I've got 5 kids!".

This talk of 28 year old "Kidults" is missing the true horror of the scope of the adult population not taking on full adult responsibilities.

There is some piss poor parenting out there.

Ever seen big kids in a buggy? It's cos their parents are too lazy to get them to walk because it takes more effort and you have to pay more attention to the kid.

Kids nappy bedtime pants - for big kids - again cos training them to use the loo in the night takes effort.

Seen kids with feeder cups aged 4? Again lazy parenting.

Seen parents pushing buggies chatting away on the phone? There's a generation being ignored by their parents right now.

I think the country should be sterilised. Nah, the world. Do it to everyone. Make parenting impossible until you've passed a test to show that you can manage to get your fat lazy **** into gear.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation IMO.

The UK is essentially still a feudal society. You do what you're told by the authorities, in the belief that 'they' will look after you. Most of those who didn't want this way of life went off to the US 3 centuries ago, hence their 'rugged individualism'. Others who question this are ridiculed and marginalised.

Then when you have statist organisations like the BBC whose entire existence depends on people toeing the line (by paying the licence fee) it's hardly surprising they produce stuff that promotes the state as God.

Responsibility - a leaf out of the books of our beloved elites!

"But the aspect of all these changes that particularly worries me is that it is happening concurrently with the handing over of vast amounts of power to the EU, one of the most corrupt organizations in history, which according to the EU auditors who have refused to sign off the books for the 15th year in a row because apparently according to them, up to 95% of the budget is not accounted for."

Which came first, the Government treating the UK population like kids, or the UK population demanding to be treated like kids from its Government?

It's the "I went to the toilet last Wednesday and the council still haven't been around to flush it for me" mentality.

If people are too stupid/lazy/irresponsible to look after themselves or those around them, then why is the state doing it? The welfare system is meant to be there to catch people falling through the cracks, not to provide lifestyle choices. E.g. if you can't afford to have children, don't have them, they are a responsibility not a right.

Edited by pyracantha

Annoying isn't it?

One area I would cut costs immediately, is radio ads, giving 'public information' about various pointless things. The same for the TV! :angry:

Would love to comment but have to nip out the the kebab shop to load up on calories and then pop down the supermarket to buy my first pack of cigarettes in a decade, don't want to miss out on my fair share of tax payers loot!

In all seriousness the news this morning made me sick. All this tripe about scooters and thoser pr1cks from NICE saying you should pay people not to be fat.

Meanwhile in the real world the fact that the President of the United States (Benjamin Netenyahu) isn't going to continue the freeze on settlement building in the West Bank is given a 5 second sound bite and framed as if the Israeli's are the good guys (where's the political analysis on this - even your average pleb could understand the rights and wrongs of the conflict if only they broadcast the truth).

Next week - Why Nuking Iran is good for the Green economy.

TOTALF$CKINGSH!T.

Would love to comment but have to nip out the the kebab shop to load up on calories and then pop down the supermarket to buy my first pack of cigarettes in a decade, don't want to miss out on my fair share of tax payers loot!

In all seriousness the news this morning made me sick. All this tripe about scooters and thoser pr1cks from NICE saying you should pay people not to be fat.

Meanwhile in the real world the fact that the President of the United States (Benjamin Netenyahu) isn't going to continue the freeze on settlement building in the West Bank is given a 5 second sound bite and framed as if the Israeli's are the good guys (where's the political analysis on this - even your average pleb could understand the rights and wrongs of the conflict if only they broadcast the truth).

Next week - Why Nuking Iran is good for the Green economy.

TOTALF$CKINGSH!T.

Yeah but the NICE thing is purely a pragmatic cost-based thing. They have sat down and crunched the numbers and think it is cheaper to pay for people to lose weight now rather than have to pay out for special surgeries / diabetes treatments / 'mobility scooters' etc. further down the line. I don't think they want to do it but they have to look at the cost first, morality later.

So I don't think it's a bad decision for what it is. It's not trying to fix the underlying problem, but reduce the cost for the rest of us. Or is that too reasonable for HPC?

Scootering past driveways (and across side streets when they're goin along the pavement on a main road) isn't the kids or the parents responsibility to do safely though - they have right of way as pedestrians over any clueless car drivers. it's Mr Tax-dodge Mondeo who needs the education, preferably with a six-inch-nail studded baseball bat.

Yeah but the NICE thing is purely a pragmatic cost-based thing. They have sat down and crunched the numbers and think it is cheaper to pay for people to lose weight now rather than have to pay out for special surgeries / diabetes treatments / 'mobility scooters' etc. further down the line. I don't think they want to do it but they have to look at the cost first, morality later.

So I don't think it's a bad decision for what it is. It's not trying to fix the underlying problem, but reduce the cost for the rest of us. Or is that too reasonable for HPC?

If this government was serious about people being fat then they would tax the hell out of foods high in saturated fats. Unfortunately the plebs would go mental about it and big business would never let it happen.

Hopefully, the forthcoming depression combined with skyrocketing food prices, thanks to growing global food demand, should help make the UK's high streets look a lot more aesthetically pleasing in the years to come, without the need for any of this misguided cr@p from NICE.

Either way, what's wrong with denying treatment based on a person's poor lifestyle choices? Why can't they take responsilbility for themselves? Classic example on the news being one viewer's email stating that if the government made low fat foods more affordable he wouldn't be such a fat b@stard, FFS!!! I eat plenty of cr@p, I just don't eat it to excess.

Edited by General Congreve

How about making it that people pay for self caused health problems. You catch an STD its £100 for the antibiotics. Cancer and you are a smoker £10k for your treatment. Diabetes due to your weight etc etc

As a society we seem to only be influenced by punitive charges. Like speeding, parking, littering fines. This is just the next step.

How about making it that people pay for self caused health problems. You catch an STD its £100 for the antibiotics. Cancer and you are a smoker £10k for your treatment. Diabetes due to your weight etc etc

As a society we seem to only be influenced by punitive charges. Like speeding, parking, littering fines. This is just the next step.

It's a fair point, but with STD's it's best if it's free, if not, people will just carry on regardless and create a social epidemic. As for smokers, they do pay ridiculous tax already, so they almost have a right to treatment. But F@t b@stards, f4ck 'em, make 'em pay, I can't stand the sight of them!!!

Edited by General Congreve

It's a fair point, but with STD's it's best if it's free, if not people will just carry on regardless and create a social epidemic. As for smokers, they do pay ridiculous tax already, so they almost have a right to treatment. But F@t b@stards, f4ck 'em, make 'em pay, I can't stand the sight of them!!!

Ah, the smokers' tax myth that smokers contribute to the NHS.

Reality is that treating smoking related illnesses costs the NHS more than the Exchequer brings in via tax from nicotine addicts.

There is some piss poor parenting out there.

Ever seen big kids in a buggy? It's cos their parents are too lazy to get them to walk because it takes more effort and you have to pay more attention to the kid.

Kids nappy bedtime pants - for big kids - again cos training them to use the loo in the night takes effort.

Seen kids with feeder cups aged 4? Again lazy parenting.

Seen parents pushing buggies chatting away on the phone? There's a generation being ignored by their parents right now.

I think the country should be sterilised. Nah, the world. Do it to everyone. Make parenting impossible until you've passed a test to show that you can manage to get your fat lazy **** into gear.

Sarah - do I know you?! I've been saying the same thing to friends for ages and not completely tongue in cheek either.

And if I don't know you, can I get to?! ;)

Great post. Love it.

For some years, people within the health care system and associated bodies have been discussing/suggesting we might have to (through choice or budgetary constraints) withhold/limit certain treatments to those who have caused their own condition:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576704/Dont-treat-the-old-and-unhealthy-say-doctors.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6088122.ece

http://www.nursingtimes.net/whats-new-in-nursing/primary-care/unhealthy-may-be-denied-treatment/5018317.article

So while you make a valid point that what NICE are suggesting would hopefully make a bottom line saving, it might not be enough, it may not be possible (financially) and comes from a dubious sense of responsibility for people who have little responsibility for themselves. There are more possible choices than just: help obese people now, or pay more to help them later.

No one is made to smoke/drink excessively/eat badly/take drugs. The poverty argument is flimsy - poor people used to be thin. We have an obesity crisis which requires us to eat less and eat better.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/sep/15/obesity-crisis-cannot-solved-exercise

The NHS needs to be there first for people who through no fault of their own have become unwell or injured.

Ah, the smokers' tax myth that smokers contribute to the NHS.

Reality is that treating smoking related illnesses costs the NHS more than the Exchequer brings in via tax from nicotine addicts.

Yes but they die younger, so you save on all the years of pension and geriatric care that non-smokers get when they die as vegetables in their 90s (but with nice healthy lungs...) <_<

Yes but they die younger, so you save on all the years of pension and geriatric care that non-smokers get when they die as vegetables in their 90s (but with nice healthy lungs...) <_<

Same with fatties then?

We are told they will die early, although there is very little evidence for this other than at the top of the scale.

Same with fatties then?

We are told they will die early, although there is very little evidence for this other than at the top of the scale.

Au contraire - the evidence has been there for some time:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2004/may/27/health.foodanddrink

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1580904/Obese-children-to-die-younger-than-parents.html

http://topnews.us/content/216676-doctors-warn-generation-children-could-die-their-parents-due-unhealthy-lifestyle.

As a family we do various sports. We are often surprised at just how many fat kids we see at public swimming pools. And these are the ones getting some exercise.

Edited by pyracantha

Heard the chat abot NICE. The pundits kept on mentioning the logic that people needed something to 'motivate' them to change their lifestyles.

If you are healthier, eat better, smoke less, exercise a lot and are not fat ? Your chances of having a horrific heart attack is less than if you do.

If that is not enough to motivate people then ****** em. Not worth trying. Certainly not worth paying them.

Au contraire - the evidence has been there for some time:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2004/may/27/health.foodanddrink

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1580904/Obese-children-to-die-younger-than-parents.html

http://topnews.us/content/216676-doctors-warn-generation-children-could-die-their-parents-due-unhealthy-lifestyle.

As a family we do various sports. We are often surprised at just how many fat kids we see at public swimming pools. And these are the ones getting some exercise.

Yes but it's not real exercise for most of them is it ? Splashing around in a pool for an hour hardly gets your body working overtime.

Kids that play football regularly and other sports that require you to really fire around the place and get your heart pumping ?

SERIOUS lack of fatties in this group of kids. It is all so simple.