House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Furious Property Developer Bricks Up Bournemouth Branch Of Barclays

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315340/Businessman-furious-banks-refusal-lend-bricks-Barclays-branch-protest.html#

A businessman angry at the reluctance of banks to lend money to small firms today bricked up the front door of a Barclays in protest. Cameron Hope, a property developer, used breeze-blocks to build an 8ft by 4ft wall directly in front of the entrance to the bank. Mr Hope, 59, was joined by other local business owners who say they have had trouble getting money out of banks in order to run their companies.

The protesters waved placards and banners proclaiming 'robbed by the banks we own' and 'make the banks lend' during the stunt at Barclays in Bournemouth, Dorset.

Members of the public voiced their support along with passing motorists who sounding their horns. Mr Hope, a father-of-four from Bournemouth, said: 'We blocked the doorway as a way of saying that the banks are open but the safe is shut.

'The banks are stifling the recovery from the recession by not lending businesses any money.

'I wanted to borrow some money for a new development but was told 'no, maybe next year.

'I wanted to borrow 40,000 pounds on a property that I already own but the bank tried to charge me a 7,000 pounds arrangement fee.

'It is outrageous and they are doing it because they can get away with it. Savers are getting nothing, borrowers are getting nothing and the banks are doing what ever they like.

'Some of the banks are even owned by the taxpayer and still they won't lend. The recovery will come from the private sector and if businesses can't borrow money then the recovery won't happen.

'This protest is saying enough is enough and the government needs to step in and make the banks lend.'

The brick wall was taken down two hours into the protest after police threatened them with arrest. His plight is exactly the type of problems highlighted by the Daily Mail's campaign, Make the Banks Lend. Smalls firms are struggling to stay afloat without vital money, with around 500 collapsing every week.

New Bank of England figures last week showed lending to smaller firms is still in crisis and they are paying back billions more than they are advanced. This is despite the banks surging back to prosperity after the credit crunch and handing out millions in bonus payouts to their staff. The new figures showed business lending to small firms had fallen for the fifth month in succession.

The situation is worse than six months ago, when banks handed out £300million more in loans than was repaid. Business Secretary Vince Cable has read the riot act to the banks, warning: 'There is a potential train crash ahead.'

And Deputy PM Nick Clegg insists the coalition is working 'flat out' to get banks lending again to small businesses who he described as the 'lifeblood of our economy'.

Between July 2009 and July 2010, firms paid back to banks £47billion more than they received in new loans. But this a sign that big firms are paying back their loans, and too little is being handed out in new money. In comparison, during the second half of 2008, when Britain's economy was shrinking, the banks handed out £12.5billion more in loans to business than they received in repayments.

Mr Hope, 59, was joined by other local business owners who say they have had trouble getting money out of banks

you could look at it as an addiction to debt.

This property developer wants to borrow money to build houses and sell on the debt to someone else.

If it was being used for something productive, then I might be more sympathetic.

Is the whole of the UK economy based on Selling Debt and Bricks to one another?

If he was a real developer he would have turned the bank into a flats and a wine bar, rather than brick up the entrance.

God help us! Flats with a wine bar at the bottom! Cunning plan! :blink:

The standard of construction looks a bit shoddy.

But in today's market, what he's built would value at about £150,000. Nice FTBer opportunity.

article-0-0B5BFC7D000005DC-345_468x374.jpg

Edited by worst time buyer

8ft by 4ft made of breeze blocks. So pretty much the same as the crap flats being built and just as shoddy too. I suspect that the wind blew it down soon after he left the site, also just like the flat I just vacated.

8ft by 4ft made of breeze blocks. So pretty much the same as the crap flats being built and just as shoddy too. I suspect that the wind blew it down soon after he left the site, also just like the flat I just vacated.

I'd have called the HSE in. No barriers or signage. Also, I doubt they've compiled a method statement or drawn up a risk assesment. Oh, and they'd also need a site access permit from the bank.

Send them down.

The standard of construction looks a bit shoddy.

But in today's market, what he's built would value at about £150,000. Nice FTBer opportunity.

article-0-0B5BFC7D000005DC-345_468x374.jpg

I guess your man in the Levi jeans and sunglasses is the ring leader.

Those sunglasses are probably not that cheap - and Levi's don't come for free.

If the money was that urgent - and the return on capital good enough - he could probably sell his Landrover and his wife's Merc. for the £40k.

Just like Northern Rock - if you rely on the Markets (in this case the banks) for short-term liquidity - you'll run into trouble sooner or later.

If the money was that urgent - and the return on capital good enough - he could probably sell his Landrover and his wife's Merc. for the £40k.

He could sell the house he wants to borrow money on..

The banks need to stop lending to arses like him.

you could look at it as an addiction to debt.

This property developer wants to borrow money to build houses and sell on the debt to someone else.

If it was being used for something productive, then I might be more sympathetic.

Is the whole of the UK economy based on Selling Debt and Bricks to one another?

That's just what I was thinking.

We've had a lot of threads on here lately full of stuff about the private sector "risk takers" and how they are somehow more worthy of high wages/profits due to the fact that they are basically nothing more than gamblers.

I would modify that to say "gambling with someone else's money". <_<

No planning permission

Criminal trespass

No H&S

And the police say "take it down or we arrest you". The police are pathetic.

Drop a fag end, fixed penalty. Park on a yellow line fixed penalty. 34 in a 30 mph limit, 3 points and £60 fine

Oik builder who has probably avoided VAT and HMRC like most of them do, is allowed to protest, break the law and walks away. How much police time was wastedon this cretin?

The builder is a moron. It is HIS choice to bank with xxx bank.

Why doesn't he go elsewhere if he is disastisfied? Perhaps because he on the p&l owes the bank money?

I'm not seeing much mortar inbetween those blocks, infact i'm not seeing any so no idea why he needs a trowel. is building walls without mortar standard practice for todays developers?

I'm not seeing much mortar inbetween those blocks, infact i'm not seeing any so no idea why he needs a trowel. is building walls without mortar standard practice for todays developers?

He obviously decided to invest in just bricks..... and forgot the mortar. Doh!

Do these guys understand that when they borrow.. they are paying the banks for it?

Who begs to buy a product from a company they hate?

That has always been the thing about the banker/customer relationship. Unlike almost any other business the customer has to ask the vendor if he is allowed to do business with them.

Looks like all those ad campaigns about how bankers are loveable and helpful aren't quite cutting it, judging by the public support this little stunt seems to have generated.

Expect more calls from the bankers to 'put the past behind us' and 'look to future'- anything in fact rather than deal with the reality that they looted the country for their own gain.

That has always been the thing about the banker/customer relationship. Unlike almost any other business the customer has to ask the vendor if he is allowed to do business with them.

I wouldn't put money into my own business, if the banks can't see a return on it! :huh:

Looks like all those ad campaigns about how bankers are loveable and helpful aren't quite cutting it, judging by the public support this little stunt seems to have generated.

Expect more calls from the bankers to 'put the past behind us' and 'look to future'- anything in fact rather than deal with the reality that they looted the country for their own gain.

The banks are the new terrorist target. ;)

Judging by the state of the "wall" I would guess that the spirit level is a previously unheard of tool bought just for the occasion.

I wouldn't put money into my own business, if the banks can't see a return on it! :huh:

There's always a good reason why they won't lend, it's just that this bloke couldn't stand someone not doing what he wants.

Don't worry, he'll be in Canford Cliffs later in a trendy wine bar

God help us! Flats with a wine bar at the bottom! Cunning plan! :blink:

Katona Condominiums?

Buy two, get one snort free.

The public can’t accept that banks have to lend against risk and for the last twenty to thirty years so as to cut margins they’ve turn to software. The fault with that policy is that the software can easily fail to take that risk into account and then the bank is stuffed. As they are having to burn the proverbial candle at both ends no wonder they don't want any further risk on their books, if they did their savers rates would be higher.

The action being taken to ensure the banking sector is fortified is years off and more than likely going to be ineffective.

I noticed on channel4’s new show that the property developer was forced to turn to a private mortgage adviser to raise funds, not sure he ended up getting them though.