House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Solvent Celt

B&q 400 Redundant At Hampshire Hq

B&Q TO ANOUNCE HEAD OFFICE JOB CUTS

DIY retailer, B&Q, is set to announce a round of job cuts at its headquarters in Southampton, only a week ahead of the announcement of its interim results. B&Q, which is part of the Kingfisher (KGF.L: Quote, Profile, Research) chain, has declined to comment on the announcement, or on the effect that the move will have on its results, but it is thought that the job losses will prompt a further round of profit downgrades. The restructuring was flagged at the beginning of the summer and will involve the loss of 400 jobs from the 1,400 strong HQ workforce.

This is on top of a recruitment freeze. Local newspaper put the blame squarely on the downturn in the housing market.

This is on top of a recruitment freeze. Local newspaper put the blame squarely on the downturn in the housing market.

[/quot

B&Q...this is near me, Eastleigh , Southampton.

Major blow around here as we have also recently lost/about to go 3 other MAJOR employers in this small town.

1.Pirelli....now new builds on site.

2. Railway maintenance works.

3.Kipling cake/biscuit factory.....closing shortly.

Abig hit for such a little town...who can afford the newbuilds now???? :(

[Offensive content removed by moderator]

I must say I'm intrigued by what it is you could have said to prompt censorship! (please don't repeat)

I believe it might have been age-ist. You seem to be labouring under th efalse impression that it was outlet staff that have lost their jobs. In fact it is all HQ staff. B&Q are shedding one third of them.

Given that they held their jobs when sales grew 6% in the booming market, yet could not buck the trend of a softer market, seeing sales decline 7%, one wonders whether B&Q have decide they don't need a marketing dept.

As for giving them and average £40k each to walk away, I think this says more about the current climate of trigger happy unions than what could be considered sustainable job loss compensation.

One wonders what our friends in the Far East would make of such things. One thing is clear: sacking Brits is expensive. I would suggest it would be naive to suppose upper management and shareholders would not view potential redundancy payouts as yet another employment cost. That will make them cautious about further hirings here. Or as Bruce Springsteen might say: "Foreman says these jobs are going boys, and they ain't comin' back, to your home town."

it comes as no suprise to me - why wasnt it such a suprise to the directors ?

the country is now fully laminated and all available gardens have been decked in redwood.

when some greedy ex pat is trying to suck up 60% in pure additional housing inflation, whos going to have the spare cash to fund the gas barbies on sale at £279.95