House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IP Newcomer

Flat Smack Down In Ipswich

Saw this on face book "Went to look at a flat today. It was sold in 2007 (new) for £133,000. It is up for sale now at £59,000!!"

On the Duke Street roundabout.

And when it gets to £40k for this little box, it will be on the money. Cheaply built 40-60sqm Flats, in anticipation of an endless stream of BTL purchasers are going to be the hardest hit, most previously overvalued homes. Some of the valuations have simply been a case of negligence - knowing a little about some legal problems here, I can tell you this is the truth of it.

It is high time we adopted a Sq m price approach to flats and even extate built homes, depending on area and style. Then valuations would be easier and more reliable.

Hmmm - I could almost buy that outright with what I've saved thus far for a deposit.

Are there any other examples of flats / houses at knock-down prices in the Ipswich area? What's the market like in general there?

Hmmm - I could almost buy that outright with what I've saved thus far for a deposit.

Are there any other examples of flats / houses at knock-down prices in the Ipswich area? What's the market like in general there?

A lot of the newer flats near the waterfront are finding that they can only sell with a hefty discount. However there have been milder declines in all the houses (including new builds to some extent) and older flats.

There are quite a few people who work in local government up here, so some of the houses could start getting cheaper. I'd also say that a large part of the boom was an extreme commuter boom as people who worked in London moved to Ipswich for the affordable (by London standards) houses and good (by London standards) comprehensives. If Colchester and Chelmsford become cheaper then Ipswich could suffer disproportionately.

It's not yet happened, it's just the Buy To Let crowd finally getting panicked about the new build flats.

I'm likely to be moving back to Ipswich early next year and will rent to begin with. Does anybody know if there os there a noticeable weakening in house/flat prices for sale yet?

I'm likely to be moving back to Ipswich early next year and will rent to begin with. Does anybody know if there os there a noticeable weakening in house/flat prices for sale yet?

Not really sure yet as I've bought and am not keeping an eye on the market. My wife noticed a slight weakening.

I think it depends which section of the market you are in.

I'm not in the market for a flat but my perception is that there were far too many built and the prices are dropping by huge amounts.

My house is a 3 bed-semi and judging by similar properties near me, I can expect 5% less than what it was on the market for last year.

As far as houses that I am stalking, 4 bed detached in the better areas, the prices have remained stable and in some cases have actually gone up! It is disappointing to see that the few houses that come up meeting my requirements are still being sold...