House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Queen Tried To Use State Poverty Fund To Heat Buckingham Palace

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queen-tried-to-use-state-poverty-fund-to-heat-buckingham-palace-2088179.html

The Queen asked ministers for a poverty handout to help heat her palaces but was rebuffed because they feared it would be a public relations disaster, documents disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act reveal.

Royal aides were told that the £60m worth of energy-saving grants were aimed at families on low incomes and if the money was given to Buckingham Palace instead of housing associations or hospitals it could lead to "adverse publicity" for the Queen and the Government.

Aides complained to ministers in 2004 that the Queen's gas and electricity bills, which had increased by 50 per cent that year, stood at more than £1m a year and had become "untenable".

The Royal Household also complained that the £15m government grant to maintain the Queen's palaces was inadequate.

In search of more money-saving schemes, the Queen's deputy treasurer wrote to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport to ask whether the Royal Household would be eligible for a grant to replace four combined heat and power (CHP) units at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

He asked: "Community Energy can fund up to 40 per cent of the capital costs of implementing a community heating scheme... Since we are already grant-in-aid funded [the Queen receives £15m a year for the upkeep of her palaces] we would like to know whether the Household [would] be able to benefit from these grants. I look forward to your comments."

Under this scheme administered by the Environment department, schools, hospitals, councils and housing associations have been awarded £60m for heating programmes which benefit people on low incomes.

Taxpayers already contribute £38m to pay for the Royal Family. Yet some of the buildings which would have benefited from the energy grant were occupied by minor royals living in grace and favour accommodation on the royal estates. Surprisingly the Government offered no resistance to the proposed application and cleared the way for the Queen to take advantage of the handout.

Perhaps the Queen should take in a few lodgers to help out? Buckingham Palace must have a few spare rooms she could let out to raise income?

http://www.independe...ce-2088179.html

Perhaps the Queen should take in a few lodgers to help out? Buckingham Palace must have a few spare rooms she could let out to raise income?

:D

I would also suggest PVC windows and solar roofs on Buckingham Place and Windsor and perhaps the odd wind turbine here and there. Would the Queen turn green if it happened?

Downsize.

Yes, and there's no end of nice bungalows out there waiting to be snapped up. Doesn't have to be forced into one of those retirement flats where you can't take your pets.

Does anyone in Britain have a good reason why a modern democracy pays out hundreds of millions of pounds to support a monarchy that invariably disappoints with its greed and lack of respect for their privilege?

At her age she'll be entitled to receive the Winter Fuel Allowance.

She should also dig out some of those old fur cloaks to wear. I bet they're lovely and warm.

f_elizabeth_ii_275w.jpg

Think how much money we would get if we sold Buckingham Palace to Roman Abramovich. I'd throw the Queen in for free.

Perhaps involve a swap deal with Yossi Benayoun...

Think how much money we would get if we sold Buckingham Palace to Roman Abramovich. I'd throw the Queen in for free.

We should sell off the treasures if they're at risk of getting damp etc.

Although in a recession probably isn't the best time...

Does anyone in Britain have a good reason why a modern democracy pays out hundreds of millions of pounds to support a monarchy that invariably disappoints with its greed and lack of respect for their privilege?

It avoids the need to have a president or some other version of a head of state who would not be completely incapable of doing anything the prime minister might not like. Cheap at half the price if you ask the ruling party. (though to be fair, the cost genuinely is a rounding error)

I don't imagine the monarchy will last that much longer since the younger royal generations seem remarkably keen on causing embarrassment. If there is a section of the population who hold the prince of Wales and his alleged offspring in high regard, it does not overlap with my social circle.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queen-tried-to-use-state-poverty-fund-to-heat-buckingham-palace-2088179.html

Shameless people.

Is the BBC reporting it?

That comment can be taken as an act of High Treason, you must remember the Queen is an avid reader of this Forum. ;)

Alright the alcohol isn't mixing with the antibiotics as well as I thought it would, but instead of the slow death we face (and by we I mean the middle class or those who thought they might have a chance of being middle class) wouldn't a real orgy of violence which swept away the reigning powers whether they are hereditary landowners or bankster extortionists be preferable?

No program of reform, no ideology, just clear out the past winners who have entrenched their positions and then evolve anew from the desolation that would result.

Alright the alcohol isn't mixing with the antibiotics as well as I thought it would, but instead of the slow death we face (and by we I mean the middle class or those who thought they might have a chance of being middle class) wouldn't a real orgy of violence which swept away the reigning powers whether they are hereditary landowners or bankster extortionists be preferable?

No program of reform, no ideology, just clear out the past winners who have entrenched their positions and then evolve anew from the desolation that would result.

(it is always sensible to start with a disclaimer ;)) If it were not illegal... I would love to see that. :D

In the absence of that, a land tax would start to move things in the right direction.

Also, in a few years, at the bottom of the economic crisis, it may be a good time to start a democratic republican movement campaign. :)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

(it is always sensible to start with a disclaimer ;)) If it were not illegal... I would love to see that. :D

In the absence of that, a land tax would start to move things in the right direction.

Also, in a few years, at the bottom of the economic crisis, it may be a good time to start a democratic republican movement campaign. :)

Time for a child tax

Tax all the plebs who breed like rabbits then demand and expect subsidies for everything.

Think of the cost savings! No more free schools, school dinners (they mean lunch), healthcare, dentistry, adult education, welfare payments (multiple selection).

Exemption available if said offspring work in domestic service.

You see all you luvvies writing such filth about the Queen don't enjoy a taste of uber reality.