House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boom Boom

Bono's 'charity' A Fraud

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314543/Bonos-ONE-foundation-giving-tiny-percentage-funds-charity.html

Seems this foundation exists solely to provide his cronies well paid jobs. Of every £100 the charity receives, it actually spends £1.20 on charitable activity. He denies lavish salaries are being paid, but the numbers don't support this argument. £5.1 million just is salaries covering 120 staff means just over £40k a piece. Now consider that many of those staff will be part time, some will be unpaid volunteers, and the scale of the largesse becomes apparent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314543/Bonos-ONE-foundation-giving-tiny-percentage-funds-charity.html

Seems this foundation exists solely to provide his cronies well paid jobs. Of every £100 the charity receives, it actually spends £1.20 on charitable activity. He denies lavish salaries are being paid, but the numbers don't support this argument. £5.1 million just is salaries covering 120 staff means just over £40k a piece. Now consider that many of those staff will be part time, some will be unpaid volunteers, and the scale of the largesse becomes apparent.

There should be a body, like a charity commission, to make sure that such flagrant abuses do not happen.

To be fair (not sure why) the actual wording is:

The non-profit organisation set up by the U2 frontman received almost £9.6million in donations in 2008 but handed out only £118,000 to good causes (1.2 per cent).

Now something like VSO puts volunteers into the third world working on projects, so I would expect most of their money goes on volunteers' expenses and the amount they actually "hand out" is tiny. Most charities work like this, they provide charitable works rather than acting like a clearing house for donations.

However I did lose sympathy and start reaching for my revolver when one of my most-despised phrases - "raising awareness" - entered the arena. This is modern-speak for throwing money away on aything you fancy without having to justify the actual outputs. ("I want £2k of taxpayers money to paint Nelson's Column green as it will raise awareness of green issues.")

Another spokesman in New York today dismissed the notion of lavish salaries being paid to its 120 members of staff and said the organisation was highly efficient in its raising of awareness.
icon_smile_soapbox.gif

Well looking at the picture, they look like Media Studies / Drama students... probably no chance of getting a decent proper job due to lack of qualifications and a twisted liberal view of the world

To be fair (not sure why) the actual wording is:

Now something like VSO puts volunteers into the third world working on projects, so I would expect most of their money goes on volunteers' expenses and the amount they actually "hand out" is tiny. Most charities work like this, they provide charitable works rather than acting like a clearing house for donations.

However I did lose sympathy and start reaching for my revolver when one of my most-despised phrases - "raising awareness" - entered the arena. This is modern-speak for throwing money away on aything you fancy without having to justify the actual outputs. ("I want £2k of taxpayers money to paint Nelson's Column green as it will raise awareness of green issues.")

icon_smile_soapbox.gif

VSO pays volunteers to work as teachers and doctors in poor countries which need those teachers and doctors. The volunteers get paid very little, just about enough to live on or a little bit more, I believe. It doesn't seem a good comparison.

The man has always been an utter fraud and tax avoider.

It staggers me that anyone takes him seriously.

Only politicians and the BBC, now what does that tell you.

But its probably better that it goes to these people then to the ruling elite of Africa to buy homes in Mayfair.

Charity Commission is a waste of time IMPO.

My local Sainsburys and M&S regularly has young people supposedly helping you to pack your bags whilst they collect for their charities - several of these have been for teens and early 20s to go on jungle expeditions to South America or for a marching band. One was for one of those girl bands that twirl batons.

They are not charities - they are hobbies!

VSO pays volunteers to work as teachers and doctors in poor countries which need those teachers and doctors. The volunteers get paid very little, just about enough to live on or a little bit more, I believe. It doesn't seem a good comparison.

I think you're seeing something that isn't there Bruno, I wasn't kicking the VSO.

The man has always been an utter fraud and tax avoider.

It staggers me that anyone takes him seriously.

He's a bald dwarf with a bad back and a messiah complex.

Talking of charity pop hypocrites, have you heard the one about the live aid saint who has never actually managed to sign over his share of the song writing royalties on that multi million pound single. He still gets a nice big check every year. :D

I think that was his point.

It isn't a very good comparison and yet it still only "hands out" a tiny fraction of the money it collects.

tim

Another spokesman in New York today dismissed the notion of lavish salaries being paid to its 120 members of staff and said the organisation was highly efficient in its raising of awareness.

Well bully for them forcing their £$funded opinions on everyone.

Talking of charity pop hypocrites, have you heard the one about the live aid saint who has never actually managed to sign over his share of the song writing royalties on that multi million pound single. He still gets a nice big check every year. :D

Er, skooz me for be'in fikk but would that be Bob?

No, I hadn't heard of that one. Same deal with Michael Jackson/"We Are The World" though, so I totally believe it.

Yes, this has been doing the rounds for a week - in the Guardian almost 1 week ago.

I think the average wage is 42K pa as opposed to 40K and it's a fecking disgrace. Their top guy even said as a counter argument that actually their wage bill is so high because of the number of employess and actually the average is ONLY 42K! What a joke; self serving cr@p.

So his charity is some kind of lobby group? Have they had any success? Do they campaign on trade tariffs etc?

Yes - whilst living in tax exile he lobbies Governments to tax us proles more heavily and give the money to African Dictators :angry:

Guest portwinestain

Make hunger, poverty, war, homelessness and pain history.

Don't give to any charity ( research who are trustees/ patrons etc - most are royalty) and don't be conned by charity concerts and telethons.

the man in the sunglasses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utu

A good one for research. Freud Rothchilds Curtis and Murdoch links:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/nov/13/elisabeth-murdoch-matthew-freud-politics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKU3lnN6tdM