House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
littlelamb

Glasgow House Prices..any Thoughts?

I'm looking to buy soon in west end, any predictions re prices between now and xmas, or better to wait until next year?

Flat/house?

Cash/mortgage?

Some detail?

I take it you are using rightmove & property bee etc to monitor what's been happening so far?

Flat/house?

Cash/mortgage?

Some detail?

I take it you are using rightmove & property bee etc to monitor what's been happening so far?

Hi, looking for a 2 bed conversion, cash. Been checking propertysnake.com, local agents, corum, clyde, pacittijones, s1homes etc Live abroad so not on the spot, just wondered what you guy think?

Hi, looking for a 2 bed conversion, cash. Been checking propertysnake.com, local agents, corum, clyde, pacittijones, s1homes etc Live abroad so not on the spot, just wondered what you guy think?

Out of interest - where are you? Sure you want to come back to the UK and buy anywhere just now?

Out of interest - where are you? Sure you want to come back to the UK and buy anywhere just now?

Looking for a townhouse conversion to flat with two bedrooms in westend G12 location, hope this helps. Want to buy and can this side of xmas but if more likely to get a better deal can wait until then. 33celcius today in spain. I would appreciate any inside views from you locals. Solicitor says things are likely to remain static this year and next year who knows!

Looking for a townhouse conversion to flat with two bedrooms in westend G12 location, hope this helps. Want to buy and can this side of xmas but if more likely to get a better deal can wait until then. 33celcius today in spain. I would appreciate any inside views from you locals. Solicitor says things are likely to remain static this year and next year who knows!

OK so you are in Spain but heard about this site, so presumably you have concerns about how the economy might go. Hopefully by now you will have read some of the threads/graphs etc.

Your property requirements seems quite specific and may limit what you will be able to buy. Some conversions which might suit you:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE%5E925&insId=2&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=2&radius=0.25

Though £300k seems a little steep for what is essentially a 2 bed flat! Use Firefox and install property bee to look at rightmove - you will see what changes have been made to the property adverts: details/price etc.

Is your solicitor a member of GSPC or just going to do the conveyancing for you? Your solicitor is only going to make money out of you if you use their services, so you might expect them not to say further falls are possible/probable/likely, hence putting you off making a purchase.

Any particular reason you want to buy now? Have you considered renting, given that you may have been out of the country for a while there might have been some changes that affect where you want to be and it might be a good idea to spend some time re-acquainting etc? (Assuming you know the area somewhat).

A high of 14C in Glasgow today, I believe.

OK so you are in Spain but heard about this site, so presumably you have concerns about how the economy might go. Hopefully by now you will have read some of the threads/graphs etc.

Your property requirements seems quite specific and may limit what you will be able to buy. Some conversions which might suit you:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=OUTCODE%5E925&insId=2&minBedrooms=2&maxBedrooms=2&radius=0.25

Though £300k seems a little steep for what is essentially a 2 bed flat! Use Firefox and install property bee to look at rightmove - you will see what changes have been made to the property adverts: details/price etc.

Is your solicitor a member of GSPC or just going to do the conveyancing for you? Your solicitor is only going to make money out of you if you use their services, so you might expect them not to say further falls are possible/probable/likely, hence putting you off making a purchase.

Any particular reason you want to buy now? Have you considered renting, given that you may have been out of the country for a while there might have been some changes that affect where you want to be and it might be a good idea to spend some time re-acquainting etc? (Assuming you know the area somewhat).

A high of 14C in Glasgow today, I believe.

Thanks for the advice, really helpful. My solicitor is a member of ESPC and recommended by a friend, I find him really helpful but take your point.

I have considered renting and may take this route. I have noticed properties in my desired locale are dropping their prices just not the one that I want. I have offered twice on it, the last time £10k under offers over price, apparently owner wants £30K over my offer, which given the house is empty and has been on the market for 7 months, with no other interest I feel is a bit over optimistic! I wont be going there!

I will carry on looking, do you think there will be a drop before xmas and do you think that things have much further to go?

Thanks for the advice, really helpful. My solicitor is a member of ESPC and recommended by a friend, I find him really helpful but take your point.

I have considered renting and may take this route. I have noticed properties in my desired locale are dropping their prices just not the one that I want. I have offered twice on it, the last time £10k under offers over price, apparently owner wants £30K over my offer, which given the house is empty and has been on the market for 7 months, with no other interest I feel is a bit over optimistic! I wont be going there!

I will carry on looking, do you think there will be a drop before xmas and do you think that things have much further to go?

I'd get a solicitor who works in the area you are looking at - their information and contacts will be better.

I think part of your problem might be that this vendor knows you are interested and probably thinks they can sit it out till you 'crack'. I'd walk away from this one.

Remember this is a buyers' market, it's just that a lot of sellers haven't worked this out yet. You only have to look at the Property Bee history of some of those properties I found in the link to see this. Eg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13058673.html/svr/2708;jsessionid=4890DA660BAD810EA8D363B0A3376B74

Went on Aug 2009 at o/o £395k

May this year changed to o/o 475k (!)

Aug this year changed to o/o £465k

Clearly someone not really that bothered if they sell or not. They have no taste either...

However there are some getting it:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15181785.html

March 2010: o/o £450k

July 2010: o/o £395k

As you will no doubt realise by now, most of us here believe that a meaningful market correction is underway. Government cuts next month are going to affect a significant number of the 26% of the Scottish workforce who are employed by the public sector. I know someone in Education who having been previously bullish and dabbled in overseas property is now speaking of the scale of the cuts Glasgow are already planning. There are many other arguments (all detailed on this site) which say that further price falls are to be expected. Timing is the difficult one to predict.

Not knowing your personal circumstances, no-one here can tell you what is going to be best for you. Those here who have bought have done so as the time was right for them.

Edited by pyracantha

I'd get a solicitor who works in the area you are looking at - their information and contacts will be better.

I think part of your problem might be that this vendor knows you are interested and probably thinks they can sit it out till you 'crack'. I'd walk away from this one.

Remember this is a buyers' market, it's just that a lot of sellers haven't worked this out yet. You only have to look at the Property Bee history of some of those properties I found in the link to see this. Eg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13058673.html/svr/2708;jsessionid=4890DA660BAD810EA8D363B0A3376B74

Clearly someone not really that bothered if they sell or not. They have no taste either...

As you will no doubt realise by now, most of us here believe that a meaningful market correction is underway. Government cuts next month are going to affect a significant number of the 26% of the Scottish workforce who are employed by the public sector. I know someone in Education who having been previously bullish and dabbled in overseas property is now speaking of the scale of the cuts Glasgow are already planning. There are many other arguments (all detailed on this site) which say that further price falls are to be expected. Timing is the difficult one to predict.

Not knowing your personal circumstances, no-one here can tell you what is going to be best for you. Those here who have bought have done so as the time was right for them.

Thanks for all the advice, I will not be offering again on this one. I will probably rent and sit back and watch what happens, unless of course the right property at the right price comes up! I see what you mean about taste!

Just a few observations from someone freezing up in Aberdeen.

Glasgow seems to be reasonable priced compared with other places - Ed/ABZ/England.

There's a lot more choice in the market than Aberdeen - which is predominantly 1-2 bed tenements - all less than about 60m2.

You can get nice big flats in Glasgow for non-silly amounts of money.

In Aberdeen - anything that's 2-bed and above 80m2 sells in excess of 200k - sad but true.

My brother is in Glasgow for Uni. so I was looking at what the market is like.

GSPC is a decent website and the fact that the seller's guide to the properties gives a nice layout and area size makes it convenient to compare different houses.

Personally, I'd rather be living in Glasgow - some areas esp. the West End are nice and prices are cheaper than in the Silver City.

Personally, I'd rather be living in Glasgow - some areas esp. the West End are nice and prices are cheaper than in the Silver City.

Silver City? I thought Aberdeen was the Granite City!?

Silver City? I thought Aberdeen was the Granite City!?

Silver / Granite - you can use both.

(Although never in a good way)

What I like about Glasgow is the fact that everything is not all gray like here!

Silver / Granite - you can use both.

(Although never in a good way)

What I like about Glasgow is the fact that everything is not all gray like here!

I've lived in Aberdeen too. I never understood the 'Silver City' tag as in the rain the granite just looks like grey concrete.

Tories/Dems in power

big cuts to be made

where will they happen ?- Labor strongholds ?

Scotland in general will get a taste of the Thatcher years

mortgages generally unavailable as well

the last HPC was insignificant in Scotland as it never had the boom

this time especially in certain areas its gone mad

the Highlands especially

increase in heating/fuel costs have a big impact north of the border

Aberdeen will be back to gutting kippers pretty soon

dark days ahead imo

but cheap houses will once again happen

I notice a lot of clyde west ends property has gone from offers over to having approx £25k stuck on it and offered at a fixed price! Do we take this as no interest, lets try something else?

I notice a lot of clyde west ends property has gone from offers over to having approx £25k stuck on it and offered at a fixed price! Do we take this as no interest, lets try something else?

Could be a variety of things:

1 The vendors got tired of cheeky offers below the o/o price and so put a FP on their property to clarify what they are after.

2 Traditionally, properties go to FP when the seller is getting a little more focused on shifting the property. How long have these properties been on the market?

3 Clyde are just bumping the properties to generate fresh interest. EA's change from "offers in excess of" to "offers over" presumably for this reason.

'October bounce' anyone?

Working out what you think a property is worth is no easy game now. I see some houses (in my search area) on the market for over a year (slowly following the market down) and others going to closing dates within a fortnight and selling at 10% over the Home Report valuation. :blink:

Could be a variety of things:

1 The vendors got tired of cheeky offers below the o/o price and so put a FP on their property to clarify what they are after.

2 Traditionally, properties go to FP when the seller is getting a little more focused on shifting the property. How long have these properties been on the market?

3 Clyde are just bumping the properties to generate fresh interest. EA's change from "offers in excess of" to "offers over" presumably for this reason.

'October bounce' anyone?

Working out what you think a property is worth is no easy game now. I see some houses (in my search area) on the market for over a year (slowly following the market down) and others going to closing dates within a fortnight and selling at 10% over the Home Report valuation. :blink:

I think they have been up for around the 6 month mark. I check clyde everyday for changes etc and that is the fiirst I have noticed all changing at once as if they are having a clear out.

I agree it is dificult to guage the worth of a property, I have not been looking as long as you but I too have seen things going quickly and to closing date. Roll on 20th october!

I check clyde everyday for changes etc and that is the fiirst I have noticed all changing at once as if they are having a clear out.

Roll on 20th october!

You don't need to check everyday if you use Firefox with Property Bee to look at Rightmove.

20th October - think it might be bloody...

Hi littlelamb, tip for GSPC, each property has a reference number, and they go in chronological order. So if one put on the market today is x, the next one put on the market will be x+1. I used to track the reference numbers and the months/years they relate to but no longer. Obviously the lower the number the longer it's been on the market. I would avoid Corum, I think they overprice compared to similar properties with other vendors, they specifically target high net worth buyers. Clyde were very good, very helpful etc.

I felt that Pacitti Jones were poor at marketing properties, with poor schedules / poor service so if you find something you like with them and it's been on for a while they will perhaps be more likely to negotiate, to get it off their books.

If you're not already aware you can check previous house prices in Scotland at www.nethouseprices.com/

I already bought but if I were still in the market I would wait as there are examples of mania type pricing in pockets of the westend. When I was looking there was a G12 2 bed for £165 that someone bought and wallpapered and now it's back on for £185/£190. There's also another one near the river Kelvin that is similar, someone bought it, put a new bathroom in (£5K) and it's back on for £20K more. These people are not developers, they are flippers (only minor work has been done). I think some fingers are going to get burned. Also, some of the flats near the Uni are targeted by burglars.

Avoid Byres Road unless you like lots of drunkards waking you up in the early hours.

All the best.

Edited by Perishabull

Hi littlelamb, tip for GSPC, each property has a reference number, and they go in chronological order. So if one put on the market today is x, the next one put on the market will be x+1. I used to track the reference numbers and the months/years they relate to but no longer. Obviously the lower the number the longer it's been on the market. I would avoid Corum, I think they overprice compared to similar properties with other vendors, they specifically target high net worth buyers. Clyde were very good, very helpful etc.

I felt that Pacitti Jones were poor at marketing properties, with poor schedules / poor service so if you find something you like with them and it's been on for a while they will perhaps be more likely to negotiate, to get it off their books.

If you're not already aware you can check previous house prices in Scotland at www.nethouseprices.com/

I already bought but if I were still in the market I would wait as there are examples of mania type pricing in pockets of the westend. When I was looking there was a G12 2 bed for £165 that someone bought and wallpapered and now it's back on for £185/£190. There's also another one near the river Kelvin that is similar, someone bought it, put a new bathroom in (£5K) and it's back on for £20K more. These people are not developers, they are flippers (only minor work has been done). I think some fingers are going to get burned. Also, some of the flats near the Uni are targeted by burglars.

Avoid Byres Road unless you like lots of drunkards waking you up in the early hours.

All the best.

Hi Perishabull

Thanks for the post, most helpful. I like some of coums properties but agree they are overpriced, I found PacittiJones were not interested. I am interested in a property with clyde and have only negiotiated with them through my solicitor but the vendor is not interested at present. I will probably end up renting until the right property comes up.

Did 'nt know about the burgalars but I suppose it makes sense . I heard Byres road gets a bit rowdy at night...not for me.

Cheers

and at zoopla.co.uk, and ourproperty.co.uk, both of which IMHO present the data in an easier-to-view format.