House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Meat Puppet

Right To Build?

Apologies if this has been posted, but yesterday on the Communities and Local Government website Grant Shapps delivered this classic.

Housing Minister Grant Shapps today announced that local rural housing projects that secure the support of 75 per cent of voters will get the go-ahead without the need for a specific application for planning permission.

This is the next step in bringing forward a Community Right to Build, which will move power from Whitehall to residents to give the green light to new developments that have overwhelming local support and meet minimum planning criteria.

The Minister today urged rural communities to work together to prepare for this new Right to Build, and examine how it can be used to deliver the homes their areas need.

The Government had initially proposed a higher 90 per cent threshold for local Right to Build approval, but it was soon clear that there was a strong preference for a lower threshold across the board.

Mr Shapps believes this new support threshold strikes the right balance - enabling communities to bring forward the development they want while still ensuring that developments are supported by the overwhelming majority of the wider community.

The shift in power through Community Right to Build from Government to communities will be included in the forthcoming Localism Bill, to be introduced later this autumn. It will mean local people can deliver the homes they really want, rather than being told their own expansion doesn't fit in with the local council's plans and therefore cannot go ahead.

Grant Shapps said:

"No-one knows the challenges that rural communities face better than the people who live there. I want to give them the power and the freedom to tackle local issues with local solutions through the Community Right to Build, so they can give the go-ahead to the new homes their area needs.

"That's why new Community Right to Build organisations will not need to make specific planning applications for new developments. Those plans that get 75 per cent support in local referendums will no longer need to go to the Town Hall for approval - instead, work can begin much more quickly.

"I've listened to the views of the public that responded strongly to our consultation, and I believe this threshold strikes the right balance between enabling communities to go ahead with their plans for expansion, while at the same time ensuring the support of the overwhelming majority of the wider community. And I hope it gives rural towns and villages across the country the prompt they need to prepare for a new Right to Build as a solution to the housing challenges they face."

With NIMBYism rife I can't see how any "rural" area will ever see a new house built. I just wonder what their definition of rural is.

Anyway i think (sadly, in my view) lots of new villages in the middle of knowhere will crop up. There seem to be a lot less protests when people cant see stuff from their back garden.

Course, all these places are inevitably lacking in local employment and in practice completely car dependant, despite politicians mad gesticulations to the contrary.

Anyway i think (sadly, in my view) lots of new villages in the middle of knowhere will crop up. There seem to be a lot less protests when people cant see stuff from their back garden.

Course, all these places are inevitably lacking in local employment and in practice completely car dependant, despite politicians mad gesticulations to the contrary.

+1 I still struggle to understand why the white elephant of these new communities have no employment is ignored, and will these new builds end up being just “rabbit hutches” in the countryside.

Can't see how this helps or hinders. Farmer with a couple of acres of unproductive land down Lower Bottom way could easily get 75% of the voters around to agree, being mostly his relatives and mates, and make a million quid (difference between agricultural land and building land hereabouts is a million quid an acre. Stupid is!). Difference is, he doesn't have to bribe* the council to get the PP any longer.

If you want to buy a small patch on the edge of an existing town to build your own, no chance, the NIMBY's will stop it, instead of the council and their planning dept as of now.

* Hereabouts, you had to stay friend with the local Tories. If they didn't like the cut of your jib, no PP. Quite literally, you had to pay your respects to the man, thought he was some kind of ancestral aristocrat. Thankfully, those days are gone for now.

Can't see how this helps or hinders. Farmer with a couple of acres of unproductive land down Lower Bottom way could easily get 75% of the voters around to agree, being mostly his relatives and mates, and make a million quid (difference between agricultural land and building land hereabouts is a million quid an acre. Stupid is!). Difference is, he doesn't have to bribe* the council to get the PP any longer.

If you want to buy a small patch on the edge of an existing town to build your own, no chance, the NIMBY's will stop it, instead of the council and their planning dept as of now.

You got it right when you mentioned bribing the Council, you now have to bribe the NIMBYs

Who gets to vote - the house "owners" or the renters who are on the register - some group action could be interesting. Also, community bungs - developer says build x houses and you all get £100, £1000, whatever.

Who gets to vote - the house "owners" or the renters who are on the register - some group action could be interesting. Also, community bungs - developer says build x houses and you all get £100, £1000, whatever.

That's it in a nutshell.

It's a lot easier that way, the Council worker will sod off with his money, atleast the locals can't whinge after they've taken their bung

Problem is there will be someone jacking the price up and then there will be stalemate