House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lets get it right

What's Happening To Commercial Property In Your Area

Notwithstanding the gravity defying abilities of the housing market, on a rare trip a couple of days ago through a local industrial/commercial office area it suddenly occurred to me that almost every other building has a To Let sign outside it. And I'm really not exaggerating - the signs are lined up one after the other - 10,000 sq ft, 140,000 sq ft, refurbished, high quality suites 1000 sq ft to 5000 sq ft. etc etc.

If you want office space in Bracknell at the moment you are seriously spoiled for choice.

There's a good few empty retail units too - but I've never seen anything like it when it comes to offices. And yet, in one place at least, they're building another giant development.

Is it the same in your area?

In my area ... there are loads of commercial units available .... 10,000sq ft units, entire office blocks (75-100ft tall), industrial units, empty shops. This applies to virtually every town in the area! The owners of these properties must be in deep financial trouble ....

Edited by Home_To_Roost

Notwithstanding the gravity defying abilities of the housing market, on a rare trip a couple of days ago through a local industrial/commercial office area it suddenly occurred to me that almost every other building has a To Let sign outside it. And I'm really not exaggerating - the signs are lined up one after the other - 10,000 sq ft, 140,000 sq ft, refurbished, high quality suites 1000 sq ft to 5000 sq ft. etc etc.

If you want office space in Bracknell at the moment you are seriously spoiled for choice.

There's a good few empty retail units too - but I've never seen anything like it when it comes to offices. And yet, in one place at least, they're building another giant development.

Is it the same in your area?

Yes its the same SW England looks like the eighties all over again.

Prime retail space empty, prime office blocks empty, industrial estates littered with to let signs.

Its a bloodbath for jobs and businesses, public sector workers round here look a bit sick these days they know the gravy train is coming to an end.

Local big IT company has just sent in the hatchet man and the top earners are being pushed out the door I know some of these people and they have zero transferable skills big mortgages and excessive lifestyles its the end for them.

But apart from that apparently we are not in a recession.

Yes its the same SW England looks like the eighties all over again.

Prime retail space empty, prime office blocks empty, industrial estates littered with to let signs.

Its a bloodbath for jobs and businesses, public sector workers round here look a bit sick these days they know the gravy train is coming to an end.

Local big IT company has just sent in the hatchet man and the top earners are being pushed out the door I know some of these people and they have zero transferable skills big mortgages and excessive lifestyles its the end for them.

But apart from that apparently we are not in a recession.

Yes, it's weird - if you looked at local industrial/commercial estates around here, you'd conclude that there must be mass unemployment.

I can't get my head around this - everything else looks normal - okay, slow housing market with low transactions and mildly falling prices - but, apart from that, plenty of new cars, still extensions and residential property work is going on, the restaurants in town are heaving at the weekends, a pub in a local village/town we visit a couple of times a week is always busy.

It's like a major recession is going on - in terms of office/factory occupation - yet it isn't affecting anyone.

Loads of boarded up pubs.

One got turned into flats a couple of years back. I imagine some more will be too.

Solicitors empty. Bank empty. Other shop empty all next to each other on Oldham Rd about 5 mins away in the car.

Several others in Hollinwood empty.

Yes, it's weird - if you looked at local industrial/commercial estates around here, you'd conclude that there must be mass unemployment.

I can't get my head around this - everything else looks normal - okay, slow housing market with low transactions and mildly falling prices - but, apart from that, plenty of new cars, still extensions and residential property work is going on, the restaurants in town are heaving at the weekends, a pub in a local village/town we visit a couple of times a week is always busy.

It's like a major recession is going on - in terms of office/factory occupation - yet it isn't affecting anyone.

They are propping everything up with £15 billion of taxpayers money ... every month. Take that away and ... :o. The party has got to end .... the MPC's IR policy is pretty bloody outrageous IMHO ... that's another reason the party is still going on :(

Edited by Home_To_Roost

Vast numbers of available offices for rent - never have I seen it like this in the 9 years i've lived in this area. Some available over a YEAR! Of course perish the thought they should reduce what they're asking...abd actually start bringing in some rent. No no. That would be the thin end etc