House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
getdoon_weebobby

Best Place For A Sunny Bolthole ?

lets assume in 2 , 3 or 4 years european ( a very big generalisation ) house prices are at nominal lows , if you were looking for a holiday home/apartment for lots of long weekends , weeks abroad in a sunny climate where would you buy??

Keeping in mind ease of getting there - lots of flight options.

South of France would be my ideal place BUT expensive and Nice doesnt get the winter flights that the likes of Alicante / malaga get year round.

Malaga - lots of flights , and covers a wide area . Nerja for example is far less concrete jungle than to the west of Malaga.

Costa Blanca - Torrevieja etc is concrete jungle . Up in the hills west of Alicante eg past Elche is nice.

Costa Calida - Personally I like the area around Mar Menor , the sort of area where Polaris World were building. Towns that lie around the Mar Menor. Why? , because when the ill fated Murcia International Airport is finally completed ( EU bailout money has been agreed ) if you were based around here you would be 10 mins from San Javier Airport , 30 min from Murcia Airport and under an hour from Alicante.

The areas above are those I have knowledge of , be interested in other peoples thoughts ?? For me it would be South of France if money was no object but I like the Costa Calida from a more practical and cheaper perspective.

lets assume in 2 , 3 or 4 years european ( a very big generalisation ) house prices are at nominal lows , if you were looking for a holiday home/apartment for lots of long weekends , weeks abroad in a sunny climate where would you buy??

Keeping in mind ease of getting there - lots of flight options.

South of France would be my ideal place BUT expensive and Nice doesnt get the winter flights that the likes of Alicante / malaga get year round.

Malaga - lots of flights , and covers a wide area . Nerja for example is far less concrete jungle than to the west of Malaga.

Costa Blanca - Torrevieja etc is concrete jungle . Up in the hills west of Alicante eg past Elche is nice.

Costa Calida - Personally I like the area around Mar Menor , the sort of area where Polaris World were building. Towns that lie around the Mar Menor. Why? , because when the ill fated Murcia International Airport is finally completed ( EU bailout money has been agreed ) if you were based around here you would be 10 mins from San Javier Airport , 30 min from Murcia Airport and under an hour from Alicante.

The areas above are those I have knowledge of , be interested in other peoples thoughts ?? For me it would be South of France if money was no object but I like the Costa Calida from a more practical and cheaper perspective.

We bought a place in Ibiza nine years ago. Small island, will always be popular, lovely beaches, nice towns, all the yobs stay in San An, avoid there and the rest of it is great, no massive overdevelopment allowed.

Loads of airlines fly there, its small, so you cannot be more than around 30 mins (maybe 45 mins if you bought right in the north of the island) from the airport.

Cheaper places a bit inland, but as the whole island is only around 15 miles wide by 30 long, you are never far from the beach.

south coast of england. find microclimate spots - great weather, low travel costs, less risk of airline charges/changes making your holiday home impossible to get to.

Where do you live in the UK ?

As for Nice not having "winter flights" ??? :huh:

Have you checked Easyjet and BA websites to see how many times a day they fly there? :ph34r:

<edited>

Sorry, just saw you live in NI. In that case, yes, you have limited access to winter flights. Like most of the north of Europe.

Your problem of flying from NI is that you are restricted by the airlines as to where you can buy. If they ever pull out of that winter route, you're stuffed :(

Edited by Agentimmo

Where do you live in the UK ?

As for Nice not having "winter flights" ??? :huh:

Have you checked Easyjet and BA websites to see how many times a day they fly there? :ph34r:

<edited>

Sorry, just saw you live in NI. In that case, yes, you have limited access to winter flights. Like most of the north of Europe.

Your problem of flying from NI is that you are restricted by the airlines as to where you can buy. If they ever pull out of that winter route, you're stuffed :(

Not stuffed, just a lot less convenient.

He'll always be able to get a flight from Belfast to one of the Ryanair/Easyjet hubs. Two Easyjet flights in a day to get somewhere would try anyones patience though.

The way things are going, you'll be able to pick up something in Eire(find one of the coastal microclimates smack in the Gulf Stream) quite cheap by about 2013, and you won't need a flight!

The way things are going, you'll be able to pick up something in Eire(find one of the coastal microclimates smack in the Gulf Stream) quite cheap by about 2013, and you won't need a flight!

haha ive gone from 2 years in London to 2 years in Belfast. The weather here is awful. Luckily with a good internet set up I can work from anywhere so a sunny bolt hole is a must !!

Agentimmo , yeah I feel somewhat restricted to the main airports for brits/irish hence malaga / alicante where i cant imagine there never not being flights to to be honest

Last year I randomly went to a wee place in the south of France called Quillon. Lovely wee spot. Quiet. About 50 miles from both Andorra and the Pyrenees and also the Med coast.

I imagine getting a bolthole in a place like this would be far cheaper than a more popular area.

Not too many Brits about but a wee number. Depends if you find that a good thing or not !!

Just a nice laid back lovely area of France. Chilled out in the extreme. Nice hills around for walks. And mountains and beaches nearby as I said.

Can think of worse places to pop over to for a holiday. Fairly close to Carcassone, Toulose and Perpignan Airports. Only about 90 miles from Barcelona too.

I hate places that are dead out of season, 95% of seaside towns are in this category. I am checking places on the Spanish coast that are not far from Barcelona. I will be checking Mataro which has nice beaches a population of more than 100,000 and is only 25 mins from Barcelona. Nice rental property can be had for €600-€750 a month for a 3 bedroom modern place.

Alternatively Barcelona itself is getting cheaper. New build 1 bedroom flats in Barcelonetta go for €750 for a 1 bedroom unit.

I loved the town of Valencia itself, nice old town centre and the beach itself has surprisingly not been developed that much.

Its nice here in Montpellier. If the weather is cold we are not too far from a ski resort either. Prices are about average for France and its a big University town so you can rent out easy enough. Flights here direct from S E England and to nearby Beziers from Bristol. TGV from Paris. No idea about Belfast - sorry.

Personally I would be very careful about flights at all. The cheap flight model is busted and the inevitable heavy carbon taxes will make flying more and more expensive as time goes on. Leaving aside the question of environmental damage for the wingnuts to argue over I would say its risky buying somewhere that you want to visit via a methodology that may well be unavailable in say five years time.

We now drive between the UK and home. (Again Belfast is a bit further than S W England) The downside of this is time, but in terms of cost there's not much in it. The Eurotunnel is €35 each way if you buy a carnet of ten.

Not very helpful - sorry. However, its worth thinking about the rental income aspect just in case it really does get too expensive to go. We looked at buying another place here on the coast and renting it out for the summer season then visiting in winter. That's a safer bet IMHO. You can get a reasonable little flat for about 80-100K with an income of about 3-4K from summer rental. We looked at Cap d'Agde - prices there have dropped a bit recently. It has a bit of scuba which was important to us but there are plenty of other such resorts worth a look.

As to Nice and that bit, my cousin lives in Nice and reckons its a good place to buy as there are so many events there. You can get big money for the event weeks.

My concern (and the reason we have not bought) is that a major downturn will depress the earnings, plus property taxes are going up. For this reason I'm out of property altogether except the place we live in (you have to have one I suppose...) Oddly enough one of the places we thought about was Northern Ireland!! Some good diving off the Antrim coast. Funny old world innit?