House Price Crash Forum
scrappycocco

Share Dealing Service

iii.co.uk are also worth looking at. They also have a "portfolio builder" which gives low charges (£1.50) if you don't mind investing on their schedule (please check the details first!)

iii is undoubtedly the cheapest service available. Not the greatest discussion boards etc but at the end of the day, it is the cheapest and lets you do what you want. If you want to check discussion boards you can always check out AVDFN, motley fool etc - that's what I do (mainly motley fool).

iii for the win!

I use a Barclays Marketmaster account for non-ISAable shares. There are no admin fees unless you do not trade in a quarter, then it would be £20 for that quarter. They also give you a free Level 2 service if you trade enough in the previous quarter.

Their ISA account is £30 for a year iirc.

I have found their service excellent, second only to Virgin Media - and I'm very critical of customer services in general!

Edited by Fawkandles

I use a Barclays Marketmaster account for non-ISAable shares. There are no admin fees unless you do not trade in a quarter, then it would be £20 for that quarter. They also give you a free Level 2 service if you trade enough in the previous quarter.

Their ISA account is £30 for a year iirc.

I have found their service excellent, second only to Virgin Media - and I'm very critical of customer services in general!

I use Barclays and find their service excellent. Also if you have a problem you get to speak to a real person - not some moron drone in Mumbai.

Ah - ok then :)

But in any case - you'd be better off with the ISA (unless you want to buy AIM etc) .This is probably the reason I went with iii then.... cheaper for the ISA. Motley Fool boards are good, though.

What are your strategies right now? You don't have to answer.......

I'm looking at recovery plays such as Lloyds and house builders (Barratt's as a risky one and Persimmon as a more stable one). Looking into Rolls Royce and BP - not committed to much else.

I'm going to start looking into miners & gold - that's where a lot of the volume comes in so let's see how I do!

Still haven't got any gold - always say to myself it's hit a new high....

AIM stocks...... I've eyeballed a few but very risky. Especially the true penny shares - penny shares, penny gains IMO, very poor bid/ask...

Commodities - you're referring generally to ETFs right?

I'm shaking a little bit with BDEV - always was a dog's share but still dropping, though a lot of the bad news was priced in. Could they actually go bust? Making an overall loss on shares (just a couple hundred) as I bought a German tech company (I work in tech but it's p!ss poor for investment) then the Greek crisis occurred..........

Keep this talk up - don't get enough of it on here...

I am and well done to you! :)

It will be interesting to see what happens over the coming weeks.

If the flow rates are poor, but they've got the technology to extract it the shares may well get a caining, however if the flow rates are good I'd expect to see it go past £3.00.

What ever the results I'll be buying more on the day I suspect! :D

I'm confident of commercial flow rates. I doubled my investment at 104p because this was my lowest risk investment at the time, and stick to that plan. Will sell some time after flow rates, but not sure when.

Considering taking some profits and bunging it into CAZA, which I also have high hopes for. (also ISAable)

I'm shaking a little bit with BDEV - always was a dog's share but still dropping, though a lot of the bad news was priced in. Could they actually go bust? Making an overall loss on shares (just a couple hundred) as I bought a German tech company (I work in tech but it's p!ss poor for investment) then the Greek crisis occurred..........

Keep this talk up - don't get enough of it on here...

I was in BDEV when it was bobbing around 90-105p, and was lucky to get out. I tried a similar recovery stock with YELL, and almost got bitten badly. The fundamentals aren't enough to go by. The sentiment matters as much if not more. (and is sadly harder to gauge)

My lesson learned is to wait for directors to buy in, which may be a little late, but if it prevents losses then its safer - and the prices will still have a lot of upside.

I now have a 100% failure rate with falling-knife recovery stocks! Be careful!

What are your strategies right now? You don't have to answer.......

I'm looking at recovery plays such as Lloyds and house builders (Barratt's as a risky one and Persimmon as a more stable one). Looking into Rolls Royce and BP - not committed to much else.

My strategy is pretty pragmatic, but I am definitely staying clear of anything exposed to house prices - BDEV and Lloyds being examples. I'm not a rabid bear like some on this board, but am pretty sure its not safe to go back in the water with such shares, even if they have fallen 90% already.

I considered Rolls Royce too following their mishap, but it didnt actually fall that much for it to be worth it to me.

I was in BP from 309p (lucky trough buy), and stop loss kicked in when I was on holiday at 385p. It hasn't budged much since it reached 420 ish, and whilst I'm sure it will creep back up, I think there are better opportunities out there now.

Have you considered AVN? Still a decent buy-in price before the 25th when they launch, and its pretty low-risk for a double bagger over 6 months imho (DYOR!)

Good posts - will reply tomorrow (busy tonight). But thanks! Concerned about BDEV right enough.... hoping they'll rise a bit and will then consider selling until things calm down. Totally agree regarding sentiment.

Can I ask you guys a question... I like to read a mag every week regardless of topic. Looking at investment mags, what one do you reckon is best (mainly interested in UK so no hard-core US mags):

'shares': http://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/

Moneyweek: http://www.moneyweek.com/

Investors Chronicle: http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/

Any others?

We REALLY should keep this up. These boards are usually dead and there is some real intelligence to be shared!

Edited by guitarman001

I was in BDEV when it was bobbing around 90-105p, and was lucky to get out. I tried a similar recovery stock with YELL, and almost got bitten badly. The fundamentals aren't enough to go by. The sentiment matters as much if not more. (and is sadly harder to gauge)

My lesson learned is to wait for directors to buy in, which may be a little late, but if it prevents losses then its safer - and the prices will still have a lot of upside.

So you bought ROK as the directors were buying in?

I now have a 100% failure rate with falling-knife recovery stocks! Be careful!

Falling knives are dangerous but can be very profitable. I caught ASHM when it was a falling knife, and the day after I bought it was the biggest faller on the FTSE-350 :ph34r: . Within a couple of months it was showing healthy gains, and now it's a triple-bagger with a juicy dividend thrown in :)

Recently bought PRW, which is a falling knife. Rationale: if they can develop worldwide markets there's good growth to be had. If not, they should look an attractive takeover target for someone like PSON with established worldwide markets in educational technology.

Changing the subject slightly......

This question didn't really warrant an new topic.

Does anyone know the easiest/cheapest way to buy a small number of shares in an overseas company?

I don't want to end up with excessive fees, or have to go there in person, in order to buy a handful of shares.

Thanks

Changing the subject slightly......

This question didn't really warrant an new topic.

Does anyone know the easiest/cheapest way to buy a small number of shares in an overseas company?

I don't want to end up with excessive fees, or have to go there in person, in order to buy a handful of shares.

Thanks

Open a discount brokerage account in the US or Canada where the rates are cheap and there are no annual fees.