House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
swa

Mumbles Nimby's

"The site of the development lies around the boathouse of the Mumbles Lifeboat and is overlooked by the home of actress Catherine Zeta-Jones and her husband Michael Douglas." :lol:

That's a good reason to buy a property. The siren call of the EA becons:

"Beautiful seafront location, in the same neighbourhood as Hollywood royalty."

(If you use a pair of binoculars) :P

Have you seen those barrat style houses opposite where CZJ's Mum and Dad live - scandalous and ludicrous asking prices IMPO.

I was in Mumbles today and it was flithy - pavements covered in piles of fag ends and all sorts of rubbish. That former bus station is an eyesore as is that, IMPO, amusement arcade building. I sat on the sea-wall eating a Joes and looked around and thought just how dirty and run-down the place is.

Locals have been opposing any development there for decades now and yet they think they are living in some kind of superior place. I go there each weekend to see friends and a cycle but it is usually full of chain-smoking clinically obese people nowadays stuffing their faces...

They love to call it 'the village' also and it is so removed from a village that it is not worth mentioning - in fact, there is not a real village on the whole of Gower.. just loads of scattered houses and, in places, some of them are grouped together.

The Swansea mentality is truly staggering IMPO.

I love the place but I am also a realist and the place run-down and dirty.

Has to be the right development. After all the Meridian tower fiasco across the bay (Peter Wat et al) has hardly been a great success.

For me the cafe etc just beyond Promenade Terrace was the beginning of the problem and I think all the homes on Promenade terraceare now flats/holiday lets.

I can see the demand for a hotel as almost all on the Gower have gone the holiday let/ apartment route but I doubt it would be filled very often in practice. The Antelope (pub) was empty last time I was down and looked as thouigh it had been and would be, closed for a very long time. Some of my old favourite haunts eg Mermaid hotel, were now trend and very over priced restaurants and very very empty. We opted out at £16 a pasta dish and went to CJs. Is it still called that? Any relation to CZJ?

Of course Mumbles needs money thrown at it but cleaning up and reinstating the illuminated tree in the park would be my more modest preference.

I still cant persuade my wife (from Casnewydd) to watch Twin Town!

Has to be the right development. After all the Meridian tower fiasco across the bay (Peter Wat et al) has hardly been a great success.

For me the cafe etc just beyond Promenade Terrace was the beginning of the problem and I think all the homes on Promenade terraceare now flats/holiday lets.

I can see the demand for a hotel as almost all on the Gower have gone the holiday let/ apartment route but I doubt it would be filled very often in practice. The Antelope (pub) was empty last time I was down and looked as thouigh it had been and would be, closed for a very long time. Some of my old favourite haunts eg Mermaid hotel, were now trend and very over priced restaurants and very very empty. We opted out at £16 a pasta dish and went to CJs. Is it still called that? Any relation to CZJ?

Of course Mumbles needs money thrown at it but cleaning up and reinstating the illuminated tree in the park would be my more modest preference.

I still cant persuade my wife (from Casnewydd) to watch Twin Town!

I miss the tree. They used to illuminate the cliffs at Mumbles Head also.

Have you seen those barrat style houses opposite where CZJ's Mum and Dad live - scandalous and ludicrous asking prices IMPO.

I was in Mumbles today and it was flithy - pavements covered in piles of fag ends and all sorts of rubbish. That former bus station is an eyesore as is that, IMPO, amusement arcade building. I sat on the sea-wall eating a Joes and looked around and thought just how dirty and run-down the place is.

Locals have been opposing any development there for decades now and yet they think they are living in some kind of superior place. I go there each weekend to see friends and a cycle but it is usually full of chain-smoking clinically obese people nowadays stuffing their faces...

They love to call it 'the village' also and it is so removed from a village that it is not worth mentioning - in fact, there is not a real village on the whole of Gower.. just loads of scattered houses and, in places, some of them are grouped together.

The Swansea mentality is truly staggering IMPO.

I love the place but I am also a realist and the place run-down and dirty.

Nasty

Nasty

You may think so but the reality is what I said. Mumbles is filthy. The gutter outside of the Post Office side of the road has a deep layer of cigarette butts as of yesterday. Don't they clean the roads down there? In fact, I can't remember seeing a street cleaner there in years.

There was also a 'lovely' smell of excrement on the sea-front wall just in front of the all bus-stop office - where the sewage pipe comes out.

It is absolutely disgusting and some visitors from England were commenting the same to me only just the weekend before last.

Other friends have visited the general Gower area and whilst they have commented how stunning the landscape is they have all questioned where the nice villages are - there aren't any.