House Price Crash Forum

House Prices-

HOLA441
HOLA442

I have just come back from holiday last saturday. I had a blissful 2 weeks not reading papers, watching the news etc etc. Only been back a few days and already my family are going on about house prices.!!! Why don't you buy etc etc.

My younger sisters are buying half of yorkshire at the moment !!!! and yes I agree its doing my head in.!!! Oh if I could go back on holiday again and escape this madness.!!

HOLA443

Was at a party last weekend, ended up in quite a large group of people all talking house prices, and everyone at the table pretty much wanting the same thing, a correction in the price of a house. One lot (me included) nearly no mortgage, wants to move up, but cannot see paying that much for an extra room, to the tennants wanting to buy but are unable.

The thing that struck me was that, if I had started the same conversation six months ago, I would have been laughed out of the room.

One of the people there (not the brightest tools in the box) even said "I'm thinking of selling the house and renting for a while, to see if the prices come down".

It's happening folks.

HOLA444
The fact the it has apparently gone up by 1.6% has the effect of ruining my day- I scan the papers for any evidence of a crash and am filled with joy if there is an article talking about a downturn

This article might save your day:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.j...ixpright12.html

This bit is bliss:

That certainly is a novel way of losing money in the property market: running up large legal bills trying to sue a surveyor who did not spell it out in idiot's language that house prices can go down as well as up.

:P:D:P:D:P

sceptic

HOLA445
All this "are house prices going up or down" is becoming a total obsession- does anyone else think that it can get a bit unhealthy?!

I used to be a normal, well rounded girl that just wanted to enjoy life- now I am obsessed with what the blo*dy house market is doing and if I am ever going to be able to afford bricks and mortar.

The fact the it has apparently gone up by 1.6% has the effect of ruining my day- I scan the papers for any evidence of a crash and am filled with joy if there is an article talking about a downturn- In my 20's, I never cared- I am now in my early 30's and think about it a lot, becoming more and more bitter that I didnt buy 5 years ago (when actually I was travelling and enjoying my life to the full!)

I am sure its becoming psychologically damaging- is it just me?!

no it's not just you,ther's an entire generation out there thinking along the same lines.I suppose the best you can to is sit tight and hold your nerve,or blow the deposit on fast living and don't worry about it,because that's what your parents generation have done!....they'll be a bit screwed if nobody has the money to buy when they NEED to sell.

..on second thoughts,just hold your nerve.When the economy tanks the first place companies will cut costs is through high earners(who are usually 40+senior managers)....keep your deposit safe and screw the BTL's when you get the chance.

Edited by oracle

HOLA446
There is a  link between speculation in property at home and colonial adventures abroad.

Wealth from Ireland was the first to prop up property prices in England.

The it was wealth from from INdia and then wealth from Africa.

If you cannot see the link between imperialism and speculation then you havent read enough books.

INDIA KEEPS THE FAT ON THE ECONOMY OF EUROPE.

thats what they used to say in the 19th century.

Oil wealth is helping keep the fat on our current economy.

Need I point out the parlous state of the UK economy on the eve of war with Iraq and the splendid fillip that war provided to the Stock Exchange and the housing market ?

They christened it the  BAGHDAD BOUNCE.

Though, to be fair, there were a remarkable number of scots/ ulstermen in the great colonial expansion... Jardine, who started the Opium War, was Scottish. Nicholson (one of the more insane/ eccentric characters in early 19th India) was an Ulsterman, as was Gough. And the Scots tried to start up a colonial empire on their own, even before merging with England - so I wouldn't call it exclusively an English thing.

Personally, I think the rot set it when colonialism became about "imperialism" not making money. At least the early guys (till about 1870 or so) were pretty honest in their motives. You went abroad to make a fortune, or die.

HOLA447

With the population haven risen by 10% from 1997 and 1 in 13 people 'born abroad' you have little chance of seeing Houspeprices come down unless rising raw material prices finally make the BOE stop printing money.

The BOE is printing vast quantities of money, which is expanding corporate profits, which should be driving wages higher. But the moment the labour pool tightens and wages start to rise more immigration visas are sanctioned, driving down wages.

There are now no limits on immigration. Due to factors like chain migration I would say the population is/has grown again by another 10% from 2001 - we simply don't know. When does it stop?

Edited by brainclamp

HOLA448
HOLA449

same here...

up untill beggining of last year i had no idea about how the market works etc & was not interested. My partner told me last august that house prices were falling, eventually leading to a crash. i didnt beleive him..

then i kept four months worth of property news's and noticed they were falling, that there were more on the market and that there were several at 'vacent possesion'! so i finnaly started to believe him.

since then i have been interested in the market. and learnt alot

just a few examples!

1. do not believe everything EA's say! ( ex: someone has put an offor in and has 28 days to exchange contracts, but we are stilll accepting veiwings. thats is just to make you put in a higher offor)

2. do not belive the banks and EA's when they say prices are rising.. they are NOT

3. to stay well clear of part buy part rent (I have set up a discussion on this)

renting is the best option for atleast 3 years, so that is what we will be doing :) (a 2 bed house @ £385 a month) dont think thats bad really. and if we brought it.....

So we are saving for the crash!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

its all a big out of control speculative bubble that Chancellor Brown kept rolling because he saw his economy getting stronger..

there was nothing ever to Browns Economy other than smoke and mirrors..

Nothing at all.

He compressed decades of spending money into a few years..

that was a boom..

now it is pay up time

and I sit here.. waiting...

I have travelled.. a fair bit of interesting places..

I have met some great people.. learnt to do things I may never have done..

But.. I now only bloody talk about the house prices..

garrgh..

Although its cool that mewer and buy to let friends who are seeing it all unravell.. now keep their..

"I am in hundreds of thousands of pounds of debt and I have a shiny car that is better then yours.."

opinions quiet..

Edited by apom

HOLA4412
With the population haven risen by 10% from 1997 and 1 in 13 people 'born abroad' you have little chance of seeing Houspeprices come down unless rising raw material prices finally make the BOE stop printing money.

There are an estimated 1m house for sale at present. Unless these immigrants have brought a house with them (unlikely) then they can buy one of these 1m houses without having to put another on the market. Except they don't. 'Cos they're too bloody expensive!

And if you come back with the 'these houses will be bought up by investors to rent out' line, then i) why is the number for sale increasing monthly and ii) i will collapse laughing.

Next

Edited by the end is nigh

HOLA4413
its all a big out of control speculative bubble that Chancellor Brown kept rolling because he saw his economy getting stronger..

there was nothing ever to Browns Economy other than smoke and mirrors..

Nothing at all.

He compressed decades of spending money into a few years..

that was a boom..

now it is pay up time

and I sit here.. waiting...

I have travelled.. a fair bit of interesting places..

I have met some great people.. learnt to do things I may never have done..

garrgh..

Although its cool that mewer and buy to let friends who are seeing it all unravell.. now keep their..

"I am in hundreds of thousands of pounds of debt and I have a shiny car that is better then yours.."

opinions quiet..

you have some seriously unpleasant friends.

HOLA4414

garrgh..

i think i have just gone through a classic "bell curve" of house price crash obsessiveness.

a few months ago - at my "peak" i found it difficult to have any conversation without turning it round to some sort of hpc/impending recession/oil depletion type thing.

i could quite often be found drawing "you are here" graphs on napkins :lol:

anyway - out the other side now. have stopped the public ranting.

taking one day at a time ..... <_<

HOLA4415

Both Nationwide and Halifax will move negative in the next couple of months a one month rogue figure in the halifax data means nothing.

The main reason Nationwide figures have been holding up has been the continued growth in Scotland and Northern Ireland which saw 10% and 24% annual rises in Junes report. We are hearing many stories that Scotlands boom is now comming to an end and this weekends news of loyalist violence is not going to do much to support prices in Northern Ireland.

Second night of loyalist violence

_40789346_belfast_mural_pa300.jpg