House Price Crash Forum

House Prices-

HOLA441

All this "are house prices going up or down" is becoming a total obsession- does anyone else think that it can get a bit unhealthy?!

I used to be a normal, well rounded girl that just wanted to enjoy life- now I am obsessed with what the blo*dy house market is doing and if I am ever going to be able to afford bricks and mortar.

The fact the it has apparently gone up by 1.6% has the effect of ruining my day- I scan the papers for any evidence of a crash and am filled with joy if there is an article talking about a downturn- In my 20's, I never cared- I am now in my early 30's and think about it a lot, becoming more and more bitter that I didnt buy 5 years ago (when actually I was travelling and enjoying my life to the full!)

I am sure its becoming psychologically damaging- is it just me?!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
All this "are house prices going up or down" is becoming a total obsession- does anyone else think that it can get a bit unhealthy?!

I used to be a normal, well rounded girl that just wanted to enjoy life- now I am obsessed with what the blo*dy house market is doing and if I am ever going to be able to afford bricks and mortar.

The fact the it has apparently gone up by 1.6% has the effect of ruining my day- I scan the papers for any evidence of a crash and am filled with joy if there is an article talking about a downturn- In my 20's, I never cared- I am now in my early 30's and think about it a lot, becoming more and more bitter that I didnt buy 5 years ago (when actually I was travelling and enjoying my life to the full!)

Nothing to get stressed about. You've simply become middle aged.

In a few weeks time actually going out for entertainment will seem like an anathema. You'll much prefer a good book, a warm cup of cocoa and some comfy slippers.

How's the knitting coming along?

HOLA448

No it's not just you, it's my main obsession too. I was just watching the news and the possibility of fuel protests was mentioned. Amazing how we almost feel too embarrassed to complain publicly about house prices isn't it? Having affordable housing is surely key to most people feeling like they have had a rewarding life. For those who say it isn't key, well I would ask why they spend so much time on this site basically obsessing about something that is, by most estimations years away from crashing. I too wish I had bought something years ago, especially when I realise I now have years to wait before they are affordable again!

HOLA449

Same here..

I am under no illusion that prices will come down.

FTB's are priced out and can anyone convince me that modern prices don't make buy to let a way the buyer subsidises living costs of the renter from their own pockets.

Its a speculative market with people left holding the lemon..

and if a few still want or believe its right to invest.. then they still will.

We have to wait for perception to change..

House prices are a matter of opinion and way beyound actual cost..

It won't go up again.. The generations are getting smaller and the supply is outstripping demand.

I hate waiting..

But my salary increases.. I should be able to buy bigger then a first..

never mind..

patience..

HOLA4410

I too am approaching 30 and have still to buy. The thing is now I don't want to buy a typical FTB property as I'm thinking about kids and all that. I'm just saving as hard as I can so that I can jump the first couple of steps on the ladder. After all who wants to pay £150,000 + for a shi**y one bed flat. Not me.

Would be interested if anyone else was trying to do the same as me.

HOLA4411
I too am approaching 30 and have still to buy. The thing is now I don't want to buy a typical FTB property as I'm thinking about kids and all that. I'm just saving as hard as I can so that I can jump the first couple of steps on the ladder. After all who wants to pay £150,000 + for a shi**y one bed flat. Not me.

Would be interested if anyone else was trying to do the same as me.

We are too. I'm 35, OH is 38 and we have a 12 year old. Due to OH's job, we've been renting, now we will be needing to buy in the next 12-18 months.

I want at least 2 bedrooms and not a poky studio flat as once we've bought I only intend moving once more after that so we can finally be near family again.

We have no plans to move up the ladder, just start a rung or two from the bottom.

HOLA4412

Yes - it does become an obsession, doesn't it? It's like having some strange perversion!

I don't tend to talk housing market outside of this site - basically if you mention that you think there will be a crash, I find that you get treated like some sort of demented moron - so I tend to keep quiet, and keep my wierd HPC views in the closet!

I basically came to my own conclusions about the future direction of the housing market after returning to the UK in 2001 (ok - so I was wrong for 3 years). Until I discovered this site a couple of months ago, it seemed like I was the only person in the world with these views - it was good to know that there are others out there!

HOLA4413

I wonder if I am unique in not wanting to buy but still wanting a crash,

The reason I dont want to buy is I am in London and cant afford it even if prices came down 50 per cent.

I am also disgusted by Nu Labour. So much so I am thinking of voting Tory if they elect Clarke.

I know I am fairly unique in that I want a crash to punish all the smug , mainly white , mainly middle class bastards who thought they would go up for ever and also supported Blair's genocidal adventures in Iraq.

I want those bastards to feel some pain.

If Blair went bankrupt over his houses and then had a heart attack and died I would go to the pub for 7 days solid to celebrate. I would pish on his photograph in public and shite on the Union Jack.

I guess I AM pretty unique.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Being a Scotsman with some Ulster roots I know only too well the history of the butcher's apron.

The Iraqis are finding out all over again. The UK have been in Iraq and raped it twice before remember.

I know British history better than most and I can assure you it is not pretty.

Shite on the Union Jack and get a new flag along with a new way of looking at the world which isnt racist, militaristic and colonialist.

It wont happen so the UK has to suffer some of the pain it has given the rest of the world.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
If Blair went bankrupt over his houses and then had a heart attack and died I would go to the pub for 7 days solid to celebrate. I would pish on his photograph in public and shite on the Union Jack.

I guess I AM pretty unique.

No not really, we have been getting a few ignorant loud mouth idiots on the board recently. I would certainly like to see Blair lose a packet on his property investments but don't see the connection with the Union Jack.

Edited by Riser

HOLA4419
No not really, we have been getting a few ignorant loud mouth idiots on the board recently. I would certainly ike to see Blair lose a packet on his property investments but don't see the connection with the Union Jack.

There is a link between speculation in property at home and colonial adventures abroad.

Wealth from Ireland was the first to prop up property prices in England.

The it was wealth from from INdia and then wealth from Africa.

If you cannot see the link between imperialism and speculation then you havent read enough books.

INDIA KEEPS THE FAT ON THE ECONOMY OF EUROPE.

thats what they used to say in the 19th century.

Oil wealth is helping keep the fat on our current economy.

Need I point out the parlous state of the UK economy on the eve of war with Iraq and the splendid fillip that war provided to the Stock Exchange and the housing market ?

They christened it the BAGHDAD BOUNCE.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I too have become very bitter about the housing market situation, and the scouring of the newspapers for information related to house prices has become part of my daily routine, I am very sad to say.

My boyfriend thinks I am going slightly mad actually but I cannot bear to listen to some of our smug friends imposing housing advice on us anymore.

HOLA4425