House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Uk "is Worst Place To Live In Europe"

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841693-great-britain-is-worst-place-to-live-in-europe

Research by uSwitch has revealed that high living costs, below average government spending on health and education, lack of holidays and late retirement have contributed to a bleak picture for Brits.

Furthermore, the UK no longer enjoys the highest net household income in the continent. Last year it was £10,000 above the European average, whereas now it is just £2,314 ahead, slipping below Ireland, the Netherlands and Denmark.

Britons in search of quality of life might want to move to France, as it held on to the top spot in the uSwitch index for the second year in succession.

Spain came second, while Denmark, Poland and Germany helped to make up the top five spots, with all these countries offering more days of holiday and a lower retirement age than the UK and Ireland.

Ann Robinson, director of consumer policy at uSwitch, said that last year, compared with our European neighbours, Britons were miserable but rich.

'This year we're miserable and poor. Whereas some countries work to live, UK consumers live to work. In fact we work harder, take less holiday and retire later than most of our European counterparts,' she added.

Recently, a study by Aviva and accountants Deloitte found that the UK has the biggest pension gap in Europe, with Britons needing to increase the amount they save each year to have a good retirement income.

Very surprised about Spain...what's their unemployment rate? 20%?

... compared with our European neighbours, Britons were miserable but rich.

I think they'll find that 'Rich' actually equals 'In debt' for much of the people they are referring to, if they dig a little deeper.

I meet people from all over Europe in Thailand where i am based and they all compalin about the exact same things as the Brits do ... ie corrupt govts. being overtaxed, the EU, immigrants, house prices, benefits for the lazy, crap health and education systems etc etc... im thinking there isnt really a best country to live if youre the average (working) Joe these days.

However Bulgaria is truly vile imho.

Edited by BuyInOxford

Maybe that says something about how you really need a job and money to have any quality of life in England.

If you have closer family ties, better culture, better weather, lower property prices, less consumerist culture, and LOWER COST OF LIVING, losing your job probably doesn't knock your level of happiness.

Maybe that says something about how you really need a job and money to have any quality of life in England.

If you have closer family ties, better culture, better weather, lower property prices, less consumerist culture, and LOWER COST OF LIVING, losing your job probably doesn't knock your level of happiness.

Consumerist culture exists just about everywhere. In fact, in countries where a lot of people are maybe only a couple of generations removed from real, earth-toiling peasantry, it can be even stronger. You have even more need to prove that you've left all that behind, can afford this, that and the designer other.

I have known Med-culture families like this (old granny still very much the village peasant - and I don't mean that in any derogatory sense) who would almost rather go without food than the flash wheels, not to mention the $2 T-shirt with the $40 logo.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/841693-great-britain-is-worst-place-to-live-in-europe

I always take these things with a huge pinch of salt. We're a miserable bunch of bu55ers on this sceptred isle, always keen to have a moan.

I think this is partly why the Dutch (who are also partial to a moaning session)never reach the top of these things.

As to a lower cost of living meaning a job is less important, I doubt it. Anybody know what unemployment benefit in Spain is?

UK is worst place to live in Europe ?!

Have these people never been to Dundee....

I always take these things with a huge pinch of salt. We're a miserable bunch of bu55ers on this sceptred isle, always keen to have a moan.

I think this is partly why the Dutch (who are also partial to a moaning session)never reach the top of these things.

As to a lower cost of living meaning a job is less important, I doubt it. Anybody know what unemployment benefit in Spain is?

http://spain.othercountries.com/pages/articles/index.asp?page=social-security

They claim around 750 euros a months...Don't know about HB though...

There are plenty of problems with the UK but I can't say I'm in a hurry to go anywhere else. Just for starters it's harder to get decent beer elsewhere, I would miss those parts of the landscape that we haven't already made a mess of badly, and I even mostly like the climate. You might find some of the worst peoplein the world here but also some of the best. Mind you, if I lived in some other parts of it I might feel differently (Greater Manchester is hardly the nicest part either, but at least it's decent in most directions pretty quickly after leaving it). Material and financial differences in standards of living between here and elsewhere in the UK aren't big enough to be of any significance to me, so anyone moaning that somewhere else is better just because they pay a bit less tax is being utterly shallow IMO.

Edited by Riedquat

A flawed article based on a flawed survey. UK came 9th out of a list of 10 European countries (no indication of how these 10 countries were selected) - http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/uk-worst-place-to-live-in-europe-uswitch-quality-of-life-index-890419/

One of the things that makes up the index is "Net income after taxes (in GBP) from OECD - based on two-earner married couple, one at 100% of average earnings and the other at 33%, 2 children." - In other words pure fiction

For gdp per capita last year according to the IMF Britain came in at $35,334, and France came in at $42,747.

According to the most recent OECD estimates for hours worked, the average British worker put in 1652 hours a year, while the average French worker put in 1346 hours per year.

In per hour output the average French person is producing $31 an hour. While the average Brit is producing $21 an hour.

At least compared to France we are working longer hours and producing less.

ATM I think the UK is a bit of a sh#thole :(.

Care to expand on that? What makes the place a sh#thole in your opinion?

Apart from the cost of housing (which most of us have an issue with!) I can honestly say that life is great just now!

Yes, there are financial problems that we face, which will lead to social unrest in the short term, but until this DIRECTLY impacts on me (redundancy/riot/revolution etc.) it really makes no difference to my QUALITY of life.

http://spain.othercountries.com/pages/articles/index.asp?page=social-security

They claim around 750 euros a months...Don't know about HB though...

The benefits you get in Spain depend on what you have paid into the system. You need to have worked for 6 months to get any unemployment benefit at all. If you have around 4 years of contributions you get around 1000 euros a month for 2 years, but then it runs out and you get nothing. The government are handing out an emergency rate of 450 euros per month to families with no income at the moment because unemployment is so high. There is no housing benefit, but there are subsidised low rent housing if you earn very little.

I actually prefer the Spanish sytem to the UK one. You dont see many teenage mums here because they get no handouts, you also dont see anyone hungry even though some people have zero income and are entitled to nothing. Spaniards rely on their extended family a lot more, so the well-off uncle may give money to their nephews during hard times etc. Also, there is lots of temporary work in tourism and farming where they people work cash in hand for a few months.

Being a Brit who married into Spain if you like, then I think Spaniards ARE happier than the Brits. There is much less cynicism around and they dont believe they are owed anything for being Spanish, like the Brits do. Lots of families have suffered over the past few years, but the stupid mortgages were often taken out on second home investments. Good thing about Spaniards is they never sell anything! For example, my OH's family have inherited old flats and houses from their grandparents and great grandparents all over the country, so there is free (although not very comfortable) housing if ever there was a huge crash and we needed to grow our own food :). Thing is they are in the villages and not where the jobs are! That is usual in so many families.

Edited by mijas99