House Price Crash Forum

Some People Just Dont Get It Do They?

HOLA441

Comments are just as fvck-witted!

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/news/Woman-s-163-5k-compensation-claim-loss-home-8217-s-8216-kerb-appeal-8217/article-2671164-detail/article.html

​A PAIGNTON woman wants £5,000 compensation from Torbay Council claiming ‘unsightly’ green wheeled bins have decreased the value of her property.

She is encouraging other residents to follow suit.

Judie Chisholm, 57, from Clifton Grove, says she does not object to recycling but she claims the ‘bulky’ bins that are ‘unsuitable’ for her needs have killed off her property’s ‘kerb appeal’.

She has written to Torbay Council’s legal department informing them of her intention to claim compensation and is encouraging as many other Bay residents as possible to join her in action against the local authority.

“I also strongly object to the area in general being turned from a beautiful tourist attraction into a slum-like ‘Bin City’,” she said.

“It would be bad enough if these bins were only on display one day a week, but wheelie bins are having to be stored permanently on pavements where there is no other option, and recycling is being left out for days on end because the collections are late.”

Torbay Council says the matter is currently with its claims department.

The compensation threat comes as hundreds of calls continue to come into the dedicated bins hotline. On Friday there were 1,681 bin-related calls, and on Monday there were 1,858.

Miss Chisholm’s letter is dated September 19, but previous emails show she has been in correspondence with Tor2’s waste doctors since Thursday, July 29 — more than a month before the scheme started on September 6.

Trouble started for Miss Chisholm when she raised concerns about the changes to the recycling system and where she would keep the new recycling boxes and what would happen with her old seagull sacks.

The string of emails between Miss Chisholm and Tor2’s waste doctors also reveal they were apologising to residents for delays in responding to emails because of an ‘exceptional high volume of queries’ as early as August 10.

In their response Tor2 waste doctors say a Government-funded survey deemed a number of properties in Torbay could accommodate wheeled bins.

Then in an email dated September 2, Tor2 staff say the wheeled bins are being used because it is ‘much quicker and safer’ for the crews to hook a wheeled bin on the back and let a lorry do the work, than staff handling sacks.

In her letter to the Tory controlled unitary authority, Miss Chisholm says the wheeled bins have ‘wrecked all kerb appeal in one fell swoop’.

She also says in emails she will ‘saw up’ the large wheeled bin, put it in her car and leave it on the steps of the Town Hall if it is not collected, because she has requested a smaller bin.

In her letter to the authority’s legal department she gives the council 28 days to get rid of her unwanted wheeled bin.

Miss Chisholm says because the properties in Clifton Grove have steps leading up to the front door the bins have to stay on the street.

She also says she will be deducting money from her council tax payments for each additional day the recycling boxes are left on display in the street because of delays in collections.

In the first two weeks of the scheme she racked up eight days of delays of the collection of her boxes containing recyclables.

Miss Chisholm also wants to see a drop in her council tax that mirrors the £10million of savings the authority says it will make during the next decade as a result of entering into the joint venture company with private partners May Gurney.

If she does not, she said she would consider charging for her time and costs incurred as a direct result of the scheme.

A Torbay Council spokesman said: “We can confirm we have received a letter from a resident which has been referred to our claims team for consideration.”

HOLA442

Comments are just as fvck-witted!

​A PAIGNTON woman wants £5,000 compensation from Torbay Council claiming ‘unsightly’ green wheeled bins have decreased the value of her property.

She is encouraging other residents to follow suit.

Judie Chisholm, 57, from Clifton Grove, says she does not object to recycling but she claims the ‘bulky’ bins that are ‘unsuitable’ for her needs have killed off her property’s ‘kerb appeal’.

I think some people are just morons. Maybe she needs to get one of those 'camoflage' wheelie bin covers one can buy from those catalogues. That will surely put the value of her house back up £5000?!

Or just accept that there is nothing wrong with having a bin outside her house and she needs to just get something more important to worry about.....

HOLA443

I think some people are just morons. Maybe she needs to get one of those 'camoflage' wheelie bin covers one can buy from those catalogues. That will surely put the value of her house back up £5000?!

Or just accept that there is nothing wrong with having a bin outside her house and she needs to just get something more important to worry about.....

I agree with her. Ugly things. Thankfully, Swansea has a really good policy and the food bins are in two sizes - a hand held one and a one about 2 foot high.

Nearby Neath Port Talbot has these enormous ugly black things and they look disgusting.

IMPO the size of wheelie bins is all about the continuing and growing ugliness of the environment in which we live which, medically, is known to have huge affects on people's attitude, aggressiveness, mental health.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Dear Cousins,

news reached these shores that the citizens of the UK can expect their refuse to be collected as frequently as once a fortnight. Why on earth do you need to keep huge wheelie bins on the pavement for the rest of the time? Surely you can keep the rubbish in your house until collection day (thereby increasing the attractiveness of your neighbourhood and maintaining property values)?

Yours, Daily Collections (including holidays),

Singapore.

HOLA446

She's right - they're ugly and unnecessary blights on the urban landscape. I can't believe there are comments that laud these abominations purely because of schadenfreude.

Forget your agenda, the public realm deserves to be treated with more care. That's the part of urban living we all have to deal with and quite frankly, some half-wit bureaucrat in the waste or accounting department is the last person I want making aesthetic decisions regarding the the streetscape of towns and cities.

HOLA447

She's right - they're ugly and unnecessary blights on the urban landscape. I can't believe there are comments that laud these abominations purely because of schadenfreude.

Forget your agenda, the public realm deserves to be treated with more care. That's the part of urban living we all have to deal with and quite frankly, some half-wit bureaucrat in the waste or accounting department is the last person I want making aesthetic decisions regarding the the streetscape of towns and cities.

+1 - Methinks HPC has the wrong agenda here

The bins i have are far too big for my needs and due to their size (the LA has a one-size fits all bin) i have to keep them at the front of the house or on the kerb as access to the garden (where i do have space) at the back is not wide enough. It has had a detrimental effect on the streetscape where live :(

HOLA448

Trouble started for Miss Chisholm when she raised concerns about the changes to the recycling system and where she would keep the new recycling boxes and what would happen with her old seagull sacks.

I would have thought a council that provides sacks for old seagulls must be above reproach.

I looked at a property recently that had its bins outside at the front. At first I thought it must be bin day but, on closer inspection, it turned out the property occupied the whole width of the plot, an extension had been added behind the garage and there was no way through from the back garden to the front without going through the house.

I pointed this out and indicated that a drop in price in the region of £5k was surely in order. The vendor was surprised by my request and said; 'Do you know you're the first person that has noticed that, I was mentally prepared to knock off £10k if it was brought up, so I'll meet you half way and knock off £7.5k'.

'Fair enough', says I - although I still didn't make an offer.

On reflection, I think that woman may be letting the council off lightly.

Edited by Let's get it right

HOLA449

Bins collected every night down my way. Recycled stuff every Wed or on-demand if it's bulky. All included in council tax. Begs the question : What the heck are UK councils spending their income on, if it isn't doing the basic duties like daily refuse collection ??? :unsure:

HOLA4410

I'll consider supporting your stance against a very minor nuisance once they've got rid of the Big One. Cars are not only a far bigger blight on our streets, but such a danger that our children get stuck at home, making the UK the worst country in Europe to grow up in.

HOLA4411

I pointed this out and indicated that a drop in price in the region of £5k was surely in order. The vendor was surprised by my request and said; 'Do you know you're the first person that has noticed that, I was mentally prepared to knock off £10k if it was brought up, so I'll meet you half way and knock off £7.5k'.

'Fair enough', says I - although I still didn't make an offer.

What?! :huh:

HOLA4412

Bins collected every night down my way. Recycled stuff every Wed or on-demand if it's bulky. All included in council tax. Begs the question : What the heck are UK councils spending their income on, if it isn't doing the basic duties like daily refuse collection ??? :unsure:

Pensions.

Edited by CHF

HOLA4413

I'll consider supporting your stance against a very minor nuisance once they've got rid of the Big One. Cars are not only a far bigger blight on our streets, but such a danger that our children get stuck at home, making the UK the worst country in Europe to grow up in.

Yes absolutely - who the hell let cars onto the roads, don't they know that's where kids are supposed to play? :lol:

HOLA4414

Yes absolutely - who the hell let cars onto the roads, don't they know that's where kids are supposed to play? :lol:

Ha, I think you just proved porca miseria's point. Every residential street in the UK is primarily a car storage area now. Ever wondered what streets looked like before everybody "needed" a car? Roads are not for cars, roads are for access, and parked cars get in the way of that function.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Bins collected every night down my way. Recycled stuff every Wed or on-demand if it's bulky. All included in council tax. Begs the question : What the heck are UK councils spending their income on, if it isn't doing the basic duties like daily refuse collection ??? unsure.gif

I'm dumbstruck! "Bins collected every night" !!! What on Earth are yous doing to make so much garbage. We put out a "seagull bag"

about every six months and a recycling bin (30" X 18" X 12") every two weeks. We do burn a lot on our wood-stove but still and all that is not operating in summer and I can't begin to imagine what you are doing to make so much rubbish. Seems to me you should be concentrating on "reduce" not "recycle".

HOLA4418

Truth.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Dear Cousins,

news reached these shores that the citizens of the UK can expect their refuse to be collected as frequently as once a fortnight. Why on earth do you need to keep huge wheelie bins on the pavement for the rest of the time? Surely you can keep the rubbish in your house until collection day (thereby increasing the attractiveness of your neighbourhood and maintaining property values)?

Yours, Daily Collections (including holidays),

Singapore.

Your suggestion to keep rubbish inside the house until collection day would restore 'kerb appeal'.

But wouldn't it diminish the 'Wow Factor' when showing people around your house?

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4422

If she was the only person in the country with wheely bins she might have a case. I think she needs a slap.

Bin 1.jpg

Take your peculiar loathing for the lady in question out of the picture and have a look at those bins blocking the sidewalk. Whether you're a renter or rentier, homeowner or passerby, that is one butt ugly streetscape thanks to a parade of garbage containers. I don't much like the cars either...

Bin 2.jpg

One of the things in life I enjoy most is a stroll down a pleasant streetscape. I'm kind of shocked anyone thinks these things are actually acceptable?

post-6353-12851735316677_thumb.jpg

post-6353-12851735551693_thumb.jpg

Edited by haggis

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Bins or no bins, even if it was plant pots, the pavement has been reduced to 1/2 it's former size and pedestrian traffic is now single file.

Fit, young people will not have a problem weaving in and out, but anyone pushing a pram, carrying heavy shopping or limping along in any way is going to find walking there to be a menace.